Other Conditions and General Health

Posted , 3 users are following.

Recently, I created a new discussion but haven't received any replies to that. Possibly I asked a question difficult to answer. Hence now requesting views only on my Dexa Scan results as given as under:

My DEXA results as under:

L1-L4:   T score -1.3, Z -2.6, BMD 1.238

Femur Neck: T score -1.7 Total T score-1.1, Z score -0.1 Total Z Score 0.1

I am 85 years old male in reasonable state of health so far. At this age one endeavors to keep walking as long as one lives.

My queries:

1.Are the results as given above reasonably satisfactory or do need special attention to improve them?Of course I keep taking Calcium and Vit D.

2.What is the difference between normal T and Z scores and  Total T and Z Scores as given.

Any views?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

The t-score compares your bone density with the normal bone density of a young person. The z-score compares it with other people of your age and is, practically speaking, fairly meaningless at your age. It would be more meaningful for a 30 year old - if it was low then that would indicate something wrong.

Those results are good and would normally be reported as not requiring medication other than calcium and vit D supplementation at any age. For an 85 year old I'd say they are excellent!

I don't remember seeing your other post - but no-one on the forums is medically qualified and this isn't a place to get a second opinion. That may be why you got no replies.

• Posted

As you see my Dexa results against Femur Neck, For T score and Z Score , two readings are given for each; one is normal and other Total. Which one out of these two figs is correct. I like to know just to be clear on the subject, in case you can clarify.
    • Posted

I really don't know for sure - I have never seen normal and total scores quoted in anything I have studied in the past and I can't find instructions for computing the total score.

However, the diagnosis of osteoporosis or not is made on the basis of the lowest t-score measured. From this afternoon's search I suspect the total hip is a reflection of the different scores obtained from the various areas of the hip, a sort of average if you like.

• Posted

After a further search:

Or the direction of the line used for the calculation either passes through the entire hip or the neck of the femur - and the NOF always has a lower score than the total hip for obvious reasons.

You would need a radiographer working in bone densitometry to explain it fully and accurately.

However, for your purposes,  if you google "DXA-scanning-in-clinical-practice Oxford academic" the first link that comes up has illustrations of where the lines may be drawn for making the calculations. I think this probably answers your question.

Sorry, can't give the direct link here - rules is rules and this allows others to look at it too But I will pm it just in case.

• Posted

Hi I'm not sure why you would have been sent for a dexa scan, have you had a fracture recently, also most males have less fractures than women.

Did/does your Dr want to put you on medication for this??

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I did not have any fracture. Went to the Doc for a minor issue. He wanted me to get at least Dexa done when I told him that at this age, I avoid going through various tests when I am feeling reasonably alright. After seeing the results, he told me to keep taking Calcium+Vit D.
    • Posted

That's good and of course no dancing on tables smile I would suggest you keep as active as you can as in walking or swimming, that's if you can swim of course, your doing very well and to be honest I think your right, too many tests as we get older can be very over the top.

Keep safe

• Posted

"most males have less fractures than women."

They are beginning to realise that men develop osteoporosis as well - and with increasing life expectancy it will be more of a problem. They are convinced that you can prevent NOF fractures by giving medication but I won't get into that discussion here. I'm only impressed the GP DID a dexa rather than assuming low bone density and handing out bisphosphonates without confirmation.

• Posted

Actually women do have an increased risk of fractures compared to men, also I was not implying that men dont suffer with osteoporosis, of course they do but they seem to be less prone to fractures, especially hip fractures. I suffer from quite a few forms of arthritis and osteoporosis as well, hence a hip and pelvic fracture last year which at the moment cannot be operated on till its less porous so compared to most I know quite a bit about osteoporosis and the available treatments which I have not been given due to a critically low vitamin D count.

At 84 with those figure he would not need pharmacological intervention other than vitamin D and calcium and regular blood tests to keep a check of his levels.

• Posted

"At 84 with those figure he would not need pharmacological intervention other than vitamin D and calcium and regular blood tests to keep a check of his levels."

Quite. Personally I wouldn't accept intervention with those figures at any age. And you asked why he'd been sent for a dexascan - and that was why I said what he did,

• Posted

..".what I did"

• Posted

I think sometimes they test till they find something, I only had dexa after fall and that's when I found it, but it wasn't the osteoporosis that caused fracture it was the impact to my knee when I landed on it, surprisingly it didn't break my knee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.