Other discomforts caused by Bunions

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, I’ve reached my breaking point with my feet. I’ve had bunions for as long as I can remember, and I’m only 24.  My actual bunion itself doesn’t hurt too often, only after a long day of walking or bad shows. The other pain I get is what drives me up a wall. I was just wondering what other pain do you get because of the bunion? My toes tend to ‘lock’ up painfully sometimes, and I have this other discomfort I can’t describe too well. It only really happens at night when I’m in bed, but it feels like there is pressure inside my food and the only way I can relieve it is by twisting and turning my foot in all sorts of directions until I finally can fall asleep again.  Does anyone else have this issue? 

Thank you in advance smile 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes sometimes.  Drinking water helps.  I have it since my surgery and it is a combination of dehydration and not walking properly on my foot to avoid the painful areas.  
  • Posted

Kate, may I make a suggestion to you please...”if” you decide to have surgery, I encourage you to get all the information on post op recovery. Whatever procedure you go with - DO NOT take a procedure that has you at 8 weeks non weight bearing because hobbling around on crutches or using a knee walker will feel like you are being slowly murdered. 
    • Posted

Depending on the issues with your foot, though, Dee, isn`t that more invasive  surgery and long recovery sometimes necessary ? That`s what I`m going through right now .. a real test of character. Kate, your feet will only get worse, better to deal with it at your young age when minimal surgery may do it.
    • Posted

It is my understanding that there are dozens and dozens of different types of bunion surgery’s. Is it really necessary in this day and age and with the technology, to go with a surgery that would take a couple months of being non weight baring? I ask myself that question as it is currently effecting me and I wouldn’t want my worst enemy to endure my pain and discomfort. 
  • Posted

Hi Kate,

I am 49.  I am going through my 4 th surgery.  I started having surgery in my teens.  There was a big gap between the surgeries 1-3 and this one, but it’s just something you were born with like me.  There are a lot of procedures used to remove bunions.  The methods that result in non weight bearing recovery are those where the metatarsals are adjusted further away from the toes.  Those methods that adjust the metatarsals closer to the joint of the toes will allow for weight bearing much earlier.  I have had both methods used.  For instance, my current recovery is for a 2nd and 3rd metatarsals Osteotomy with and Akin Osteotomy.   The Akin method is used on the 1st toe and only recommended when used with other corrective measures.   What you do not want us to do this and have to do it again because the method did not work.  That happened to me on the 1st and 2nd surgeries.   And being young while recovering is a lot easier than compared to 49.  I do not have the arm strength that I did 30 years ago.   You need to visit multiple podiatrists and ask what corrective methods they will use and what the recovery time frame will be as the previous post had suggested. Good luck.  It’s completely survivable and you will love your feet after, but the recovery does leave a lot to be desired. 

• Posted

You have a great knowledge of what and why Carrie, thanks for giving us a better understanding of it. So sorry you had to go through it multiple times .. wishing you a speedy recovery
  • Posted

Thank you all for your responses. I definitely will get the surgery next year... since my feet are already horrible they can only get worse if I don’t fix them. I’ll be sure to check out all my options. Thank you! 
  • Posted

I just want to say that I had first ever osteotomy bunion surgery about 5 weeks ago and it's the best thing I ever did! Foot now lovely and straight, still a bit swollen but will improve with rest. Read so many posts about 'inbearable pain' etc, but I would urge people not to be scared by the stories of 'agonising pain'!! Not everyone has such bad pain, if you take your painkillers correctly and rest your foot properly then I think you'll be fine. Of course it's painful, but not agonisingly so! I've known worse. Good luck! smile

• Posted

I had my surgery 2 weeks ago, took pain meds 4 days, didn`t like the side effects, the worst i would say since is occasional discomfort from doing too much too long on knee scooter. I was expecting excruciating pain, fortunately that was not the case at all ! So looking forward to getting cast off, and progressing to full mobility. Will not fear having the other foot done next year..
    • Posted

I think what I have finally concluded about the surgery is, no two people have the same experience. I am truly happy when I hear someone had a good experience with their post op, but for me, unfortunately that isn’t the case.

I am 51 and I am 51 days post op. I just started to place “some” weight” on my heel last Tuesday.

My doctor said to stay completely non weight bearing for two months. What he failed to look at was my age and that I am 25 pounds over weight.

I’ve put too much pressure on my hip and knee that was doing all the work. Personally, I endured too much pain, and I’m still not yet “walking” on that foot.

You know, if I had had a broken bone it would have healed by now.

Oh, and if you are wondering if the doctor told me to stay off my foot so long because of my weight, he never told me that. He said that “two months” was the non-weight bearing time frame. 

So, “for me” I regret having done this. Too much stress on my body, and still struggling with insomnia since the surgery. But I am glad you are happy that you chose to do it. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Dee, you are so right .. we are all different , and of course will experience this process in our own way. Very sorry to hear you are suffering for so long .. disheartening, discouraging .. for myself only 2 weeks in, i have no idea how things will progress, just .. good for now ..  Brightest thoughts
  • Posted

Hi Kate

The body heals at night...if this happens after long walks...maybe try some Magnesium in liquid or gel form and put that in your foot. You can also get magnesium in tablet firm. I do both and it helps.

Speak to a health worker too.

I used to get something similar but after my operation it's much better.

Good luck

• Posted

I waited for a bit too long to have surgery and was to the point to where I had to have the surgery because I was in pain every time I stepped down on my right foot. It felt like I was stepping on a large stone just under the toes on the bottom side, plus my second toe was a hammer toe now and my other toes were becoming crooked. I had the Lapidus procedure to correct the bunion and a pin placed in my second toe for hammer toe correction.

I would have to agree with Twinkles17352 about urging people not to be scared by other people's stories. I was more afraid of what would happen if I did NOT have the surgery. (It was my understanding that if not corrected, my feet will only become more "deformed", plus I've seen some photos of feet that looked like they really needed help.) And, like abhyanga was saying about expecting excruciating pain, that wasn't the case for me either. The worse for me was not from pain but from discomfort and aggravation from not being able to bend my ankle or toes or to not be able to scratch an itch. I did have pain in different places all over my foot and some pains did feel like pins and needles. My doctor said it was from the nerves healing. I too felt pressure in my foot when I was on it for too long, so I elevated and iced it which helped a great deal.

The more I felt better, the more I did, the more I did, the more swollen and red and uncomfortable my foot became. I just had to learn to pace myself. My whole body had to adjust to different movements being that I was using my left leg and upper body more and was not able to use my right leg at all for six weeks. I used a knee scooter and had little aches and pains in my hips and thigh muscles just because I wasn't used to that movement but my body adjusted after a bit.

My surgery was five months ago and I still have some numbness in my great and second toe, however my foot is finally moving more normal with the exception of my second toe not bending. I expect that to get better also, at least it doesn't hurt anymore. I have heard it's a long road of recovery and I agree on that but I feel it will be worth it. I'm scheduled to have surgery on my left foot in February of this next year. I know every situation is different and I wish the best to anyone who is going through these issues. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.