Other health conditions

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyones health conditions become worse due to hormone fluctuations? I have read this is true. I have ms and find it hard to distinguish between the hormones and my ms. I don't think it's changed, although I am on meds. What have you experienced?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle

Hormones can make you feel VERY ill. I literally feel sick all the time like I have a very bad flu . We underestimate the power of hormones .. I certainly did and I’m sure if I had a job I would have to take sick leave as i truly cannot function . 

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I am 47 and have been in peri about 5 years.  When I was 20 I was diagnosed with acid reflux disease and have had issues with the symptoms throughout the last 20+ years, but never experienced GERD symptoms as bad as I have since being in peri.  I take a PPI drug and it usually keeps the symptoms in check, but lately I have felt terrible due to the GERD flare up and it all seems to be hormone related.  My doctor recently said my progesterone was extremely low and my estrogen was at the level of a woman who is in full meopause.  I still have random cycles.

I have to be honest and say that any existing condition (I also have back issues) has been extremely exacerbated by peri.  I have horrible symptoms--headaches, stomach bloating and pain, terrible bitter taste and burning tongue, muscle tenderness in my back and legs, and it goes on and on.  Everyday it's a different symptom, but the worst symptoms seem to be tied to hormone fluctuations and these health issues I had long before peri.

I'm sorry you are going through this!  I wish you peace and good health ASAP!  Big hugs--Sarah

• Posted

Hi Michelle, yes I am soonto be 49 and for past 5 years I have been experiencing vertigo off and on , today I had a terrible bout of dizzy spells and my ears started ringing, it truly is scary with all the sytmoms I have terrible migraines to boot , I hope you feel better soon!
  • Posted

Hi Michelle 

I have MS too and my Neurologist told me that peri exacerbates pre-existing conditions and I found this to be true. My ms was worse as well as my arthritis and asthma.    I was in Peri for about 3 years and finally reached menopause last  August. That doesn’t mean things are bettter. A few things are and other things are worse.  My primary care dr said this  phase can last 4 years though I know some women who have had symptoms 10-20 years after reaching menopause. Good luck to you.   I have a lot of dizziness /vertigo and balance problems. I wish you the best hang  in there. 

• Posted

Thank you for your response. Just wondering at what age you were diagnosed,and are you taking medication? I was diagnosed at 46 and take tecfidera.
    • Posted

I was diagnosed at age 27 and am taking Copaxone injections.  I’ve tried Gillenia  and Tecfidera.   I had too many bad side effects from Tecfidera and had to stop it. 
  • Posted

Well I talk about how EBV was reactivated during this time. So not sure if my symptoms (Lori, I get very bad flu like feelings too) are hormone related or EBV related? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.