Other Pain After a TKR

Posted , 17 users are following.

People with all sorts of injuries very frequently feel ancillary pain somewhere.  Our brains are wired to avoid pain so it automatically tries to protect the painful area and move the ability to perform some action to another muscle group in the body.

For people with knee surgeries, we subconsciously change out gait, shifting the way we walk and therefore putting the pressure on some other muscle group.  Why?  Because the main musculoskeletal structure that enables us to walk properly is centered in the quads, glutes and core.  Unfortunately, after a knee op and weeks upon weeks of disuse, those muscles have all atrophied...dead.  Ever see someone's arm just out of a cast for 8 weeks?  Toothpick.  Same with your muscles.

So we've shifted our gait and the brain has compensated for the knee pain.  The problem is that it has moved the responsibility of those muscles to others...lower back, hip and pelvis...or...groin and inner thigh...or...calf and ankle...or...others plus combinations.  Very typically, our hips, pelvis and SI joints go out of alignment, pinch the sciatic nerve and we have a wonderful case of sciatica.  Simple chiropractor fix in a few weeks of treatment,  Other times, people report extreme calf and ankle pain.  Here, many people get an inexpensive AFO support to help them through the rough period.

Also, some patients report having one leg measured shorter than the other and rush out to spend hundreds on custom shoe orthotics. STOP!!!  When your hips are out of alignment, it causes that length discrepancy.  Always see a chiropractor or your PT before spending the money!!!  It's probably just a hip alignment issue.

ALL OF THIS IS NORMAL...but people get freaked out.  Deep breath...normal...

My approach to any of this is to go the cheapest, non-invasive route...including NO RX DRUGS!!!  Allopathic (western medicine) docs just love to throw pills at problems when there are better, more natural choices.  I always start with a chiropractor for an alignment evaluation.  Treatments help over time.  I have also found acupuncture to really help in some painful circumstances.  If nothing helps, see your ortho for a next step.

Just know that a lot of this pain is typical and normal as our bodies shift position and muscle groups to avoid pain.  Find the root cause and fix it.  To fix the dead muscle problem permanently, here's the plan...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

PS: Worst Case Scenario - I did have one situation over 5 years ago where the sciatica was so bad that nothing helped.  Chiro, PT, pain shots...nothing.  Saw my neurosurgeon who found a bone spur at L4 that was literally "crushing" (his term) the sciatic nerve root at L4.  Simple spur removal and laminectomy.  Residual pain gone in a few days.  Yeah...sometimes the pain comes from a more serious place...but that's very rare and not as a result of knee surgery.

14 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Exactly right CHICO! I am going through that right now! I will be having a LTKR soon!
  • Posted

I hate it when Chico makes me look bad by using proper terminology, spelling and puncuation. However; for a transplanted Texan, he's pretty smart. One added note. For a year I have been going through terrible hip/back pain. My wife has Parkinson's and falls. A couple times, without thinking (who thinks well at 2 am when they are being begged not to call the fire dept or emts for help.). I had several injections that were a waste of time and money. Finally had a new MRI and found that the had been treating L4 and 5 when it was L3& 4 that were damaged. A very conservative pain mgt. guy and spine surgeon agreed that by changing a drug and location I would get relief. 30 days ago I had the 1st one and put the cane up, starting sleeping better and able to take care of my wife better ( I am her only dependable caregiver, and that isn't saying much). Had the 2nd one yesterday and got 7 hrs solid sleep. The lidocaine has worn off and I'm still in much better shape. Moral of the story..don't let anyone go poking and proddingbon you be for the have good solid information where the injury is coming from. The conclusion, if I were younger (I'm 81 and have had 11 knee/leg surgeries plus radiation) and didn't have the family obligations I have, they would want to fuse 3 and 4. Plus scrape out some bone. Listen to Chico, outside of his Brooklyn accent he's fine.

• Posted

Haha!  Ur funny !!  Glad things r working out for you, and hope it continues- thanks for the words of wisdom !!
    • Posted

Thanks.....never lose your sense of humor (no matter how weird it is). Finding humor in pain and down times breaks the gloom that you feel. I like not fun at myself than I do others. Getting old and watching your body malfunction is fun but at least you are the right side of the sod so you still have a chance. I set here every day and watch my wife of nearly 60 years slowly deteriorate cell by cell so who am I to complain about pain. As long as I can get on my feet to help her, I'm more than o.k.

• Posted

It's weird you wrote this today. I'm 17 weeks now on LTKR feeling a little better , I have my days. This morning I get up and I have a pain on my left side below the shoulder blade about 2 in. It is painful must have slept wrong IDK, been using heating pad, but haven't thought about my knee .if it's not one thing its something else.

• Posted

I am so worried about doing this.  When I had my first knee scoped years ago I feel like it was the beginning of the end for me.  I have never felt the same since.  And now here I go having to do the tkr on both knees, it just makes me want to cry, and hide n my bed forever 
    • Posted

I understand how you feel. I was scared too, four months later after of pain and hard work at p.t. I feel a little better, still not all the way there yet. I wish I had both done at same time so I don't have to go thru the pain again. Everyone on here will help you. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks!!  I thought about doing both, but I live alone, and I’m not sure they would do both on me
  • Posted

Your wisdom is always read with appreciation and you make us smile - that  is often needed in TKR matters.

​How are you? And the family? 

• Posted

Getting over my spine surgery (laminectomy) from 6 weeks ago...starting yoga and then back to the gym.  Four ops in 22 months...not as strong as I need to be as I just turned 70 yesterday.  Hoping this decade will be better than the last one.  Wife is feeling waaaaay better after the electroshock treatments had a very positive effect on the clinical depression caused by her brain aneurysm almost 8 years ago.  Been a tough struggle but it's so much better now.  We get challenged all the time but find a way to get past it.  The knee is almost 2 years post-op and feeling fine except for the strength that I have to get back.  It will all work out...or I'll die.  Not much control over either...so we just stay happy!!!

• Posted

Wow back issues too. I do as well and am putting off surgery for as long as possible.

Hope your feeling better. Love your posts.

• Posted

Happy Birthday- 🎉🎈🎂 yesterday.  You inspire us all with humor and wisdom- hope 70 is your best year yet.

• Posted

I'm from the 70's...no, that's wrong.  I AM 70...I'm really from The Sixties.  How lucky was I to start high school in '61 and graduate college in '69???  Couldn't have planned it any better.  Then there was the REAL me in those days...  Yes, unlike Bill Clinton, we all inhaled...deeeeeeply...

• Posted

Happy BD Chico. Hope the coming year is a huge improvement over the last. Got you by 11 but don't feel a day over 90. Just watching the weather and they are talking about huge barometric pressure change which doesn't bode well for joint pain. I have a grandson that goes to an all boys parochial high school and they are having grandparents mass Sunday. Huge flight of steps which makes it bad for knee/back pain sufferers. May have for extra intercession just to get me in and out of the building. I wouldn't go but I'm the last grandparent standing so will do it as long as possible. Poor kid has been cheated out of grandparenting. His paternal gp's are deceased and my wife, of course is just barely going anymore. I've started bringing in home care for her and its going to help take some pressure off me. Money well spent, I'm sure.

• Posted

Well I am 60 but I think your 70 is way better than my 60.  You are hilarious and ageless, witty, and inspire drama queens like me. You and others reached out and made me feel normal after one of my crybaby posts.  Your daughter Kate is amazing and your wife a TRUE sister warrior!!!!!! I was a 70’s child and have the lessons learned proving it.  Now being a southern belle of the south I downed all kinds of HC punch mixed with everclear / beer but NEVER inhaled.  I have decided it is on my bucket list.  Colorado here I come. ??🚗my husband is 65 and honestly could probably still play pitcher for a pro team- not the Rangers- he HATES losing.  Much like your ice hockey- he has no regrets with injuries.  You two never grow older just better.  Hope your true child of 70 ‘s are the best.  Mine will be once I quit having crybaby melt downs- which I hate because I pride myself on not being a

Loser.  Going to make myself and my hubby proud-on my 1 year celebration- going to dance the two step all night long in Fort Worth at a old dance hall called Pearls.

HAPPY 🎂

• Posted

Happy belated birthday, may you have many more healthy ones.
    • Posted

BOMBCYCLONES!!!!  In New York and Boston!!!!  Really???  The climate has gone mad.  That's why I got out of Joisey and live in Texas. Yes, an occasional micro-twister as we're just below the red line for "Tornado Alley" but really nothing else.  It gets to 100+ in the summer but the humidity is low at 20-30% so it's very comfortable.  Only a handful of "dripping" days.  That's unlike NY/NJ where the summers were a relentless 95-degrees with 95% humidity...glad to be gone from there.

Hope you feel better, my friend.  I'm still getting pas op #4 in the past two years.  Gotta work on my strength...it's been difficult...

• Posted

Pearl's...on Exchange...  Passed it, never went in.  Should give it a try.  Problem is I'm a blues/rock bassist...never a fan of classic country.  Too boring to play as a musician.  NEW country (post-Shania Twain) freaking rocks!!!  Love some of that stuff.  Looking for a new band right now.

My favorite spot in FTW is Pete's Dueling Piano Bar.  WHAT A BLAST!!!!!  I live in Hudson Oaks right off 20 between Aledo and Weatherford.  We should all get together!!!

• Posted

Just picked up thread, happy birthday! I think you look healthier now than then!!!🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.