Otitis externa

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Guys,

I had my right ear syringed September last year and when she was syringing my ear it made a popping sound and ever since then i've suffered with earache in my right ear and deafness.

I have been to see my GP today who told me that I have Otitis Externa prescribed me flucloxacilin for a week and ive been referred to ENT.

However i am just wondering if anyone has suffered with this and what symptoms did you suffer?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Do your ears/ear feel blocked....if so, it's Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.

Anne

• Posted

I'm not sure to be honest i can barely hear out my right ear but all down the tragus feels a bit strange and my jaw, top and bottom teeth are aching but my GP said thats because there all connected in some way.

• Posted

Hey Anne. I just found out I have ETD..so what I wanted to know, is now what.? My ENT only told me to hold nose and blow..I went to my gp yesterday and she saw a small.growth in my left ear, which is where I am having major vertigo..She told me to contact my ENT again and this is when I learned that he had put on my chart ETD, yet didn't tell me what to do for it..what did they do for yours?? Antibiotic?

• Posted

He had just told me issues some of thm, was caused from my eustation tube stopping up, but I didn't know it was ETD until nurse said he had written that on my chart

• Posted

Hi Terrie,  a small growth inside your ear, how the heck did that get missed.

Your vertigo is probably from your er being blocked.  

After having taken the 20 day reducing course of Prednisolone back in April

last year.  Then a 6 weeks course of Flixonase Nasule Drops, everything

cleared up.  I would usually revert back to using the Flixonase Nasal Spray,

but in the past when I done this after 3 weeks I've lost my sense of smell and

taste again and ear blocked again.  So decided to continue with the Drops,

but only when my ears block up, I then use them just once, pop the ears, then

everything is good for another week, before they block up again.

The Nasules are strong and definitely help with the inflammation associated

with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.  I'm just dreading catching a Winter cold

and ruining everything I've been doing since April last year.

I'll be seeing my ENT consultant in February and discuss with him whether

it's alright to continue the way in which I'm using the Nasule Drops.  I hate

to lose my sense of smell and taste again after 9 months.  It's the longest

I've had it back in donkeys years.  Christmas was wonderful, being able to

taste my food.

Let me know ho you get on.

Regards

Anne

• Posted

Anne, thanks for the reply. I have no clue how my ent missed that in my ear. Iv gone to him 3 or 4 times in the past 9 months. All I can figure is he was more interested in my acid reflux and just barely looked in my ear. Unless he saw it and just knew it was whatever..my gp told me to take flonase spray for my nose.I have deviated septum so hard to breathe at nite. So you think that will help the ETD as well I awoke again this morning with ear stopped up..everything on that left ear. Seems every morning that ear is stopped up. I do sleep on that side. Could that cause it? Thank you Anne for guiding me on all this..
    • Posted

Again, you're so welcome Terrie,

Try lying on the other ear.  It may help with drainage.

If it really starts to get you down request Prednisolone,

but a lng enough course...a weeks supply won't work.

I would pretty much guarantee they will work and

unblock your ear.

I think what youre calling Flonase, is the same product,

but in England it's Flixonase....even that may not

crack it for you, as the Flixonase drops are stronger.

However, not all countries are able to get them.

Take care

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.