Ouch!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello.  Any lower back pain veterans out there that can maybe give me the benefit of your experience with lower back pain?  Earlier this year, I tweaked something in my back while trying to catch myself after tripping.  I managed not to fall but boy or boy did I wrench something in my back.  I've was unable to pinpoint the exact location, as the pain is radiating all along my lower back, but mostly in my right glute.  It's very painful to stand after bending over or vise versa.  I'v tried foam rolling, stretching, hot showers, ibuprofin, walking, and rest.  I seemed to have gotten it under control after a few months, only to re-injure myself while trying to lift something heavy.  Fortunately, after about 3 days the pain subsided, but now it's back with a vengeace 2 months later.  This time I don't know how I re-injured it.  Again, I'm trying all of the usual at home treatments but it seems to no avail this time.  I feel if I can identify which muscle is the culprit, I can work on it.  But because the pain is deep, I can't locate the offending muscle.  Any ideas?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I go with ice packs. On 15 min off 30 min, with Aleve.
    • Posted

Thanks nick1963.  I haven't tried ice.  I guess because I presumed my muscles are seizing up and that I needed heat to relax them.  But I'm going to try it today.

• Posted

Hi ACC 925 I am a 13 year veteran of lower back pain. my back pain is so severe that I've have to take opiate pain medication just to get a little bit of relief. In fact right now my pain is so severe I'm laying on ice. Ice helps me a lot with my lower back although some people find relief with Heat. I've had a physical therapist and a doctor tell me it really doesn't matter which I use whichever helps. But I think ice is the best thing to use in the first three months of the injury so that you can reduce the swelling. It sounds like you're doing all the right things and you don't have to injure your back again for the pain to return simply over using it can do that. Weather can make a difference as well. You might try a chiropractor for a little while and see if you get any results with that. I know a lot of people use chiropractic car. I didn't get any relief from it. Also I think a physical therapist might be in order. At least go to a couple of sessions till you get the stretches and exercises figured out and then you could probably do it on your own. One other idea is to talk to your doctor about a muscle relaxer. I don't think there's a muscle relaxer out there that is addictive so you should be safe taking them. But with my experience they make me very sleepy so I really can't function on them which makes it difficult to use during the day. I'm currently taking methocarbamol which does not make me sleepy. My best response was to a muscle relaxer called Zanaflex or the generic name is Tizanidine. Remember to baby your back but not to the point where you're always laying around. Laying around can kill you not literally but figuratively. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

amkoffee, thanks for your reply.  I'm sorry to hear about your chronic back pain.  What a pain (figuratively and literally)!  Thanks also for all of your advice.  I tried some muscle relaxers, but they seem to be ineffective.  I'm so aggravated over this,  It is truly interfering with evertday activities.  And my workouts, or lack thereof I should say, are really suffering.  I'm going to try some ice today, which I haven't done yet.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.