Our 20 month old daughter is suffering from Toddler's Di...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Our 20 month old daughter is suffering from Toddler's Diarrheoa at the moment, which was diagnosed this morning.

Approx 2 weeks ago she had a viral throat infection and would not eat any solid food. She would only take milk (full fat cow's milk)and was drinking about 40-60 fl.oz per day. Once the viral infection cleared up, she still would not eat solids and the diarrheoa started. At the beginning she maybe had 3 dirty nappies per day (her normal was one) and these were very soft, but now it seems as if the milk goes straight through her. Every day the symptoms seem to get worse and our GP advised us to offer solids instead of milk. As her general health is excellent we are not too concerned, though she is often being sick after taking solid food.

Her diet could contain more fibre, which I will now try to introduce, but WILL NOT force her to eat. Before the viral infection she DID NOT drink juice of any description, DID eat plenty fruit and HAS BEEN drinking full-fat milk since she was 12 months old.

I did get a bit of a shock after reading on this website that it can carry on until they reach 5-6 years of age!!

I think that once we get her to gradually take some solid food the symptoms will greatly improve.

[i:954bb2870d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:954bb2870d]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This narrative seems strikingly similar to what's recently happened to us and our baby.

Alex is 12 months old and has always been really happy and helathy. He doesn't drink juice and eat/drinks all of the items outlined to help toddler diarrhoea on the patient.info website. We make all his baby food and work hard to try and ensure he has a good and appropriate diet.

All was fine till about 1 week ago when we all caught a tummy bug (sickness and diarrhoea) lasting about 72 hours. Shortly after this Alex began having very watery, almost explosive, nappies. This morning the doctor diagnosed toddler diarrhoea and advised that there was little we could do except wait got him to grow out of it.

While the suggestions on the site are helpful, were already complying with all of them so at the moment are at a loss of how to proceed.

[i:a68ede32a6]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a68ede32a6]

• Posted

Sounds familiar!

Our son has had this condition for pretty much most of his young life and I didn't think anything of it until the Nursery he goes to said it was a concern. Since finding out this information I am much happier that our son could not be better! He is a happy, healthy, ordinary little boy (almost 3). He doesn't give too hoots about the condition and carries on as if nothing has happened. He eats plenty of fruit and veg. He does drink juice but it's soooo diluted you couldn't really call it juice.:o

He has a very good breakfast full of fibre. Usually has wholemeal bread (although we alternate....sometimes I just need white bread!) Eats yogurt and cheese like it's going out of fashion and has a very balanced lunch and tea.

So......I'm inclined to think that the nurseries and childminders might need a little more knowledge on this and it's up to us to let them know. I've printed off this information from the Patient UK website and will give it to my son's nursery this afternoon.

Phew! Sorry to ramble on so much. :D

[i:6b88403a22]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6b88403a22]

• Posted

Hi my son is 2 and had toddlers diarrhoea and has it very bad.

His general health is not good with constent ear and chest infections one or both every month.

My son is under consultant and diatitions at our locall hospital.

But there is no where to look for more advice.

Please get in touch i would love to hear from anyone whos child has this condition

• Posted

Our young son had a stomach bug which then cleared up and about 4 weeks later developed diarrhoea but was perfectly well.

Our GP told us that this was quite common after a bug and to try using soy milk for a week and then switch back to cows milk. We did this for a week and within 2 to 3 days the diarrhoea stopped and he has carried on drinking cows milk ever since with no problems.

• Posted

My son started with this at 12months old i took him to see the GP and they told me to try him with soya milk and that i should try him back on cow's milk a few weeks later, we were told he had an allergy to cow's milk and have only just found out that it is toddlers diarrhoea we never got him back on to cow's milk but has been fine with the soya milk, although in the last week he has started with it again, after having an ear infection.

He eats really well and he does drink juice which after reading up on toddlers diarrhoea i'm going to stop giving him juice to see if this helps, although my GP told me to give him pure orange juice to replace the salt and potassium lost from having the diarrhoea.

My son is fine and well in himself and i'm having the same problem as K the nursery won't allow him in while he's got the diarrhoea and we are paying for the sessions to keep his place.

I'm feeling better for reading that others are in the same situation as us and i'm not as concerned about it now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.