Our Story

Posted , 7 users are following.

If you were to ask my family,friends and teammates what type of person I am, they would probably say a happy, positive hard working guy. They couldn't be more wrong. I put on a brave face when around them, but I'm the complete opposite when alone. We're not afraid of the dark place we are in now, or what the future will be like. We are afraid that if we talk to people about what we're going through, they won't want to talk to us, that we will loose our jobs and friends. But society isn't like that anymore. In Ireland alone last year, 555 people died due to depression suicide. That's more than in road accidents. 

Depression and anxiety are not like a broken arm, where you can go to the hospital and have it fixed. It's not like chicken pox, where you only have it once in your life, and never again. When you have a broken arm, people run over to help, by opening the door for you, helping you carry bags. But with depression and anxiety, it's not the same. 

The problem is, no one wants to talk. We should be the generation who makes it ok to not feel good .We should be open to each other.We think that if we open up to our friends, they'll slag us and make us feel worse. If they are true friends, they will yet help you through your hard time.

If you feel lonely, remember you aren't. You have someone to talk to. The people on this forum are here if you need to talk. I'm here if you need to talk. Your not alone. 

Sorry if I rambled on a bit there. I hope this is helpful

Jack.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I feel you jack. I put a brave face but inside I'm a mess. Anxiety is no joke. It cannot be seen because we don't let it be seen. Anxiety makes no sense. It makes no sense whatsoever. I think what scares me the most is if I am ever gonna be norMal again. Idc if I have to live with anxiety for the rest of my life. As long as I can find a way to have peace of mind. It's a battle jack. And we are not alone. Although most of the time we are. Because no one understands. They think we are better than them because we become introverted. It's a tough life. It's a tough disease is what it is. But, sometimes it's okay to not be okay and just let go. Tomotrow will be a new day. Thanks for the posteoporosis. Keep your head high and soon we will win.

• Posted

Post not posteoporosis lol
  • Posted

Oh Jack!

That was so eloquent and deeply moving

In a few paragraphs you described AD, the shameful

lack of understanding, and of empathy, which should

not yet still does exist in this modern world

This is a stunningly beautiful post!

Thank you

Helen

• Posted

Jack

I have depression caused by brutality and then a Medical Reactive Depression. It is up to us to struggle to get treatment and coping skills, My anxiety came about by having a rare for of Arthritis that effects most of my body, Chronic Pain will rule if given a chance so you struggle through life and become very determined to not let the buggers put you down.

Disability and associated mental health problems have to be lived with and you try and learn how you can control all the negativity that can grind you down.

If you fail in that it just makes matters worse and no-one in their mind wants that.

We need to look for activities we can do and sometimes we need to push and push hard even when in various types of pain and anxiety.

I look on live is a learning journey where I need to try as many things as possibe my health allowing.

We need to be strong and try and keep a positive nature to life, even when we are hurting inside and out

• Posted

Way to explain it exactly!!! I believe people who live with anxiety and depression are extremely strong and have the superpower to persevere!!!
  • Posted

Everything you said was RIGHT about we put on this face for family and friends then behind closed doors we are going thur. I'm in the US and yes we should be talking about this more a lot of people have died coming into contact with police and they thinking there on drugs but really having a metal brake down due to hiding it and not being treated property. I hide it to a point because ppl just don't understand it and ppl fear what they don't understand start treating you differently. My husband is being really helpful, Loving he just wants me to get better or be in a better place We're I a live a healthy life. I hope someday it will I try to take it one day at a time ..thanks for sharing I do know now I'm not alone thanks to ppl like you and this site.

• Posted

Well said Jack.

I liked the thing u said about wanting this generation to be open to saying how it is and how u really feel. There's nothing to fear except fear itself.

I've been thru so many years of unconfidence and anxiety. But I've tried hard to overcome my social anxiety. I really feel I'm getting there . I've had to change my thinking which has taken years. But now I don't mind talking about it cos I don't fear what people think as much now.

But I realise now it's not just one thing it's a combination of things that makes u feel gud about urself.

Accepting urself, accepting others, being lean with ur words, trying new things, failing at things but trying again, meditation, helping others, it goes on.

Phil

• Posted

That's a great post, Phil

There's a sense of relief in not "pretending" to the outside world that everything is alright when inside you are struggling

AD and it's many offshoots, is an illness. In this modern world it is outrageous we feel embarrassment, feareful of being open about what is happening to us for fear of being judged adversely

There is enough to contend with without worrying what others think of us, or how they percieve us

Freedom comes with accepting AD, being open and honest in a calm manner. Freedom comes with not caring about the opinions of others but just being ourselves .

I have posted before, will post again the following:

Those who care don't matter, Those who matter don't care

Helen

• Posted

Hi Phil,

The story of my imminent departure is much exaggerated

I ain't leaving!

Never was smile

You will all have to tolerate me for the foreseeable future..so grin and bear it, folks!

Helen xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.