Out of breath after slow walk

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm male , 71 yrs old. Never had a breathing issue in my life. 2 months ago I walked in the mall for 30 minutes. About 2 minutes later I lost my breath and it took about 10 minutes to regain my breathing. Doctor said it sounds like exercise induced asthma and gave me an inhaler. Well , it works , I guess , but the cutoff for walking is 30 minutes no matter how fast I walk. Now he says I have moderate C.O.P.D. I've never smoked and exercised regularly for the past 15 years , and eat extremely healthy. I guess I'm just really agravated since all I've heard about is eating healthy , exercising and don't smoke to stay healthy. R E A L L Y ? Doesn't seem to have worked very good. Just feels like a lot of wasted time and money. Now I can't really walk for exercise anymore , so I don't see much point in continuing spending extra money on organic foods and living the so call healthy lifestyle. What a rip off. None of this is inherited. No one else in my family has taken these measures with their health and they are fine. Don't know what to do about the shortness of breath. Just venting , I guess, because I simply don't know what questions to ask anyone. But if anyone has any suggestions , please don't hesitate to respond. Thanks just for reading this post.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi I can relate to the same problems you are going through. I'm 26 years old and I'm not a former smoker or anemic I try eating healthy. I've been having this shortness of breath sense May 2017 and I somehow managed to control it more now. The Main Tests that should be done when having this issue are.

Pulmonary Function Test

Spirometry

And Xray Of the lungs

Just to have piece of mind its nothing serious.

Im still having the shortness of breath but its not as bad as it used to be. My medications are.

Propranolol,Gabapentin, and Celexa

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response. I've had both test 10 months ago. Tested showed moderate C.O.P.D.

Don't know why I've developed C.O.P.D. but still was always able to walk . I slowed my walking down when I was told about the C.O.P.D. and shortened my walk from 3 miles in one hour to 1 1/2 mile in in 30 minutes. When the breathing problem started I developed broncitis. Coughing and sputtering with colored junk being coughed up. Even woke me at night with weezing. Anyway what I'm actually trying to say is that my coctor prescribed an antibiotic , Minocycline 2 times a day. Thats when the real problems started. Over 12 days my breathing worsened , had many palpations , extreme abdominal pain and a high B/P with high heart rate. My cardiologist said , yesterday , that a lot of these symptons could be caused by this antibiotic. He said to throw them away. I did and today I was able to walk , at a decent clit for 45 min. without shortness of breath. Also not coughing anymore. When I sent the post I still had all those symptons. Now I'm scheduled for a slew of heart tests. But thats ok. So , hopefully that was the biggest problem. Sorry this is sooo long. It does feel good though to tell someone my story. Everyone , I guess , should take a second look at the meds they are taking. Thank you again for your quick reply. And I hope your breathing problems just go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.