Out Of Left Field

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am not a trigeminal neuralgia (TN) sufferer, nor a doctor, but you brave folks have my sincerest sympathy. 

I was studying something (probably unrelated) when my research led me to a century-old book on electro-therapeutics, which I read entirely.  Electro-therapeutics was a medical field where low-power electricity was used to treat patients for certain problems, especially those involving the nerves - it was mostly discarded long ago. Today, it is commonly considered quackery, but I disagree with that prejudicial, ignorant dismissal.  The book I read, "The Medical and Surgical Uses of Electricity" by Dr. Alphonso David Rockwell, states clearly when such treatments worked, and when they didn't, leading me to believe the statements of the (global) practitioners of that time period.  That book mentions "tic douloureux" (TN), but doesn't go into great detail; but I found one where the author claimed to have successfully treated his TN patients ("Handbook of Electro-therapeutics, Volume 27" by Dr. Wilhelm Heinrich Erb, at least pages 138 and 238), so I thought I'd mention it here.

If I had untreatable TN, I'd undoubtedly look into this, even though I'm rather sure there isn't a doctor who performs such electrical treatments today. Perhaps you could convince one who would be willing to learn how.  I at least wanted to inform you.  Hopefully you can find a sympathetic ear within the medical community.  Of course, do not try anything like this yourself, as I'd imagine it can be dangerous and could actually make things worse if done ignorantly.  Good luck.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for your input, and I have no doubt that many sufferers of this hideous condition will be interested in the information you have provided.

For some it's a case of 'if it works use it' - I use a volcanically hot hot water bottle as well as more conventional medicines, so far so good.

I hope you find whatever is was that you were looking for 😀!

• Posted

Thank you so much John it's really nice of you to reach out with this information and to be so considerate to us suffers. I will definitely look into this information.

• Posted

As I read this, I have my ice pack sitting here which is slowing warming up.      I was afraid this would be a bad day for the neuropathic itch and carried it into every public building I ventured into.    This morning, I ate a slice of raw ginger which also works when I hold it up against the itch.     It's caustic but still worth it.   I also drank a glass of water mixed with apple cider vinegar last night to see if this might cure the neuralgia.  I slice up raw garlic and put in with my meals.   I have also been trying to do long distance swimming in the river to see if this might help re-build the nerves that are damaged.   I will get back on here and let people know if any of these things actually end up working.   I would have to find numerous sources of information about the treatment you're talking about and hope it would work. 

• Posted

Please tell us the thinking behind your long-distance swimming in a river and the idea that this might cure facial nerve repair. I can't see the possible connection other than the fact that swimming is relaxing and you're in a great environment. Maybe that's enough in itself? A wonderful distraction!

• Posted

My reading on the web has told me that swimming and other exercise brings down your blood sugar level which if it is not in balance it intensifies the symptoms of neuralgia.     I think also that increasing your heart rate would help with healing.    I notice that after swimming that the neuropathic itch goes away for a while.   I hope other people try it.    
  • Posted

Hi John,

I indeed am suffering this horrendous thing called TN, I honestly have tried everything except surgery to which am petrified as this is not guaranteed. I've have kids and the pain is easier.!! They called this the suicide disease is it any wonder 5 years later still no break 😢, hopefully one day 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.