Out of the boot and walking, now what????

Posted , 7 users are following.

9 weeks from bimalleolar fx and ORIF. Out of boot 4 days ago, now walking.

?I wanted to let you know a few things that are going to happen so you aren't surprised or confused by what is going to happen to your ankle/foot/leg the first few days (or more) of walking,like I was.

?The dr put on a tiny stirrup that gives the ankle side-stability while in shoes, to wear while walking for the first couple weeks.This way you cannot turn or roll your ankle, Fits well in a sneaker. Said you can now walk unaided, continue physical therapy for gait training. Didn't tell me what to expect as far as swelling,pain, or anything else really. Here's a few facts about what happens at this stage:

?1.Walking without the boot feels WIERD. The boot is heavy and you're used to picking up that heavy boot with your leg to walk and now its gone. 

?2. The walking didn't hurt at all, just feels really odd for the first couple days.

?3. At night your foot/ankle/and lower leg will SWELL. Once you've put it up for an hour or so, that will go down.Massaging your foot from the ankle all the way up to the knee in the back will help your lymphatic system move that fluid that's causing the swelling. The swelling is normal (I wish he had told me that in the office, I was shocked) And where its swollen, theres lots of pressure and it can hurt. It's temporary. When I called him, he said it can last for 1-2 months but should get better gradually in that time period.

?4. You're going to limp at firs(trying to protect your foot)t and it will feel stiff. Try and walk heel to toe and to bend your knee as you normally would. You have to actually concentrate on walking normally, but it gets easier every day.

?5. Every morning you will get up and be amazed that yo'ure walking. I was afraid to walk on it before I was able to.  Its been SO LONG. That passes and you'll be happy to be nearly normal again.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Thanks! I'm 4 weeks post op and have appreciated reading other's experiences so much!

• Posted

Thanks for this. I am right behind you.  I am walking 50% weight bearing and was told to go to 100% on Thursday. After that I can take the boot off when I am comfortable. My hope is to have it off by March 19th.   But I don't go back to the doctor until April 10.  So who would tell me if I need this side stirup?  He didn't mention it.  But the doctors really don't tell you much. Which why we are all on this site lol

• Posted

Your physical therapist will be the one to decide when you're ready for 100% weight bearing with the boot.. For me it was about a week and a half after partial weight bearing with the boot, with physical therapy twice a week. You can buy an ASO brace (one of those lace up things) to use when you come out of the boot. Ask your therapist for a recommendation. Every dr is different-my therapist was surprised the dr used the stirrup but its a good idea because I was so afraid to turn my ankle and lose progress.

?No the drs don't really tell you much and you can't know what questions to ask because you don't know in advance what's gonna happen.

Good luck to you! Its great to be walking again.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing Tricia! It’s good to know what to expect. 

I’m almost 5 weeks post ORIF for a bimalleolar fracture. I’ve been in the air cast for two weeks and can’t wait to start partial weight bearing in a few weeks. 

Did you keep the air cast on 24/7? I’m taking mine off when not moving around but I still wear while sleeping. 

Also, when did you start range of motion excercises? 

Peter 

• Posted

No I didn't sleep in the boot from about 5 weeks,maybe a bit before. I did put on an ace bandage for support and slept on top of the covers, I did the foot pumps up and down and pointing the toes, and of course moving the toes as much as possible a few times a day at your stage. You really aren't cleared for any other motions until PT or your dr tell you.

?It gets a lot better after 5-6 weeks so hang in there Peter. You're getting there!

• Posted

Im so praying for my appt dat mar 22nd that I am able to get out of the boot,,,, it will only be 6 weeks then,,,  the last time I broke my same ankle  same bone was 12 weeks in boot  I hope not,,,, I will definietly look into that brace,,, I never had that before and was afraid of walking for a bit....  thanks for the info,,,
    • Posted

I was really afraid of walking with nothing too. I don't use it at home, just out and about where sidewalks and such are uneven and I could trip or get jostled. I'm not sure if its more for me mentally or physically but its works.

• Posted

Thanks so much for this, It really does mentally prepare me for whats ahead! I am now one week post surgery of  the bimalleolar fracture! I know it's going to be a long road ahead! 

ps. when you sleep with the moonboot on, does your leg still need to be elevated up at night time?

• Posted

Yes at one week post op, your leg should be elevated all the time unless you are up to the bathroom or whatever. A couple pillows will do fine at night. I loosened the Velcro at night but you should ask your dr if that's ok. The boot still holds your foot in position but you can at least move your toes and upper foot back and forth, which also helps prevent stasis and blood clot formation. Expect it to hurt when you first put that leg down first thing in the morning, as all the blood rushes down there and yow! for a minute-that goes away but it takes a few weeks.

?It's a road that seems like forever at your point. Keep busy with whatever you can and when you're feeling well enough, go out and do something like out to eat-you can get a booth and put your leg up. You'd be amazed how much an outing can lift your spirits.

• Posted

Thank you so much for this info!! I have about 5 more weeks till I can try to be weight bearing 😔 but I exicted to walk again and also scared cause I know it’s about to be hard. Your experience is encouraging(kinda)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.