Outbreak of scabies in my school

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

There has been an outbreak of scabies in my school. We were notified by a teacher four days ago. My friend appears to have red blotches on her hands and she is constantly itching them. I think she may have gotten scabies. I have had minimal physical contact with her except sitting beside each other at lunch and we used the same hand sanitiser bottle. I am experiencing light itching and no visible symptoms. I believe my itching is paranoia. Should I still get treatment? Do I have scabies?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry. You probably are getting bit by a blood sucker. They get more active in cold weather,maybe because they are not able to find another living thing to get their moisture and food off of. And people probably pull out old blankets and winter clothes they are living in. It can be contacted a lot of ways. My 92 year old Mother n law does not bathe. I have to go care for her,so It's a constant possibility for me. Continue use of hand sanitizer. Keep your teeth clean, and use lemon and mint,they use your breath to attack as do mosquitos and other biting insects. Oil is a good defense. I have an $8 bottle of Bio oil I got at wally world. I also use coconut oil on my face. MAINLY...Try not to panic. Bugs live on us naturally. These just get out of control. It probably is not necessary to go to the doctor. It may get worse,before it gets better,but just dust the furniture, and using a product with oils and citrus,(like lemon pledge)will help drown them. If it does get bad,you may have to do something to the car, specially if you have cloth seats. For now you could probably spray the alcohol on the seats and carpet and get some alcohol wipes to wipe down the steering wheel and dash. I keep alcohol wipes all the time and use them for wiping a fresh bite,even mosquitos and lots of stuff. Bugs seem to hate tea tree oil,so I bathe with Paul Mitchell Tea Tree oil shampoo, and shave with the cream rinse. i use 20 mule team borax in the laundry and sometimes on the carpet, before running the vacuum . Sometimes baking soda,because it's abrasive. You can add tea tree oil or peppermint,or whatever scent you like to a container with baking soda,sprinkle on carpet and wait a bit before vacuuming. You can also get a sprayer with alcohol and spray your pillow and sheets. I am certain alcohol kills them. Just keep vacuuming and dusting and rubbing the palms of your hands,wipe off anything gritty. Then grease up, with whatever oil you like. I never got any tunnels,so if you do that might be a case for medical care. I take supplements which I also know helps. MSM,turmeric,vitiman C an a super B complex are a must for me. I take 13 daily,because that combo seems to work for me. I use Gold Bond Ultimate healing lotion daily and I think they don't like that,maybe because of the vitamins. So try a little self help and believe It will go away,just not as quick as we wish. If i get lax and stop my vitamin routine, I'll get a few little bumps and some itching,so I get right back in my routine. The reason the gritty products like baking soda,borax and turmeric help is because they are ectoskeletal, so the idea is to scratch them up,so they die. Did they give you instructions? It never hurts to at least use the disposable alcohol wipes. AGAIN>>Don"t Panic...The little boogers like that. 

• Posted

When I said i take 13...I meant 13 different supplements once a day. not 13 of the ones I mentioned,Ha

• Posted

I also have a steam cycle on the washer and dryer and use them every time. That does not harm the clothes. Never know when something took a ride on your clothes.
    • Posted

IF you do wind up with some little bumps or bites and more itching. You might have to omit all fabric softeners for a while...They seem to help them cling.  You might take a bath oil bath. spray alcohol or a a spray called lice free under your fingernails. The lice free does work,but expensive. lice free can also be sprayed in the hair. It contains the benzyl alcohol which kills the little eggs as well. Some people are not allergic to the excrement the bugs leave,but most of us itch.
  • Posted

I forgot about Bromelain supplements. Raw pineapple is a great defense against parasites both in the intestine as well as the ones that bite your skin. The idea is to make yourself NOT an easy target. The itching might increase as you start fighting back,because the bugs will get more aggressive as you become a less tasty treat. GO TO YOUR LOCAL HEALTH FOOD STORE. THEY WILL PROBABLY ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM , AS PEOPLE WILL HAVE BECOME DESPERATE FOR A CURE. Some of what they have might help, and some not. I think from the inside as well as topical is the way to go. wally world also has a cheap vitamin e stick that is non greasy $1.50. Sulphur kills them too. You can check the hair products for a good ointment to apply,try the for black section, they use the sulphur to treat scalp problems "SULFUR 8 medicated is really good and only 2% sulphur,so milder than others and wont smell as strong.  Those Swiffer wet pads to mop with get them off the floor. I use the Swiffer steam mop with them. 

• Posted

I have put Cool mint Listerine in a spray bottle and sprayed my clothes the dogs and my skin. It is an antiseptic. It is no more sticky than bug spray, in fact probably more comfortable. It does repel even mosquitos AND you smell minty fresh. Ha. I think it helps with this situation,also. No one seems to notice I have sprayed it. It doesn't take much. But I think it's a good thing. You could keep a sprayer of this in your locker. It might calm you as well with the clean mint fragrance.

• Posted

Hey Kiddo, I forgot a good natural treatment you might want to try. Rubbing your body with turmeric. It checks itching and I think kills lice. You have to keep doing it,tho. Wally world has  Simply Organic brand for $3.78. It will last a long time. This will make you orange,but it does wash off. So, Overnight or on the weekend when you have no where to go. The trouble with the remedy you will get from the doc, Is that it is poison, so you know you compromise your system, including the immune system, which you really need to fight this battle. Often, the subtle itching you're describing is the start of the invasion.If you resort to this treatment, you can make a paste using an oil, like coconut oil, or almond oil to apply a coverage directly on any really itchy areas. It is best to rub the dry turmeric all over to cover yourself and do not neglect your feet. Between the toes and fingers. A common area to see bumps with scabies is around the knuckles or between the fingers. You can also use hair spray to help keep them from hiding in your hair. I sincerely hope you don't have to deal with this,but it happens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.