Outgrowing asthma?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm 42 years old. Ever since I was about 3-4 years old I've had allergies ... not just seasonal but to things like dust, mold and cat dander. I was diagnosed as having a "teeny tiny bit of asthma" (in the words of my allergist) when I was 12. I would get asthma attacks every so often when I'd be running a lot in phy ed class. My allergist gave me a proventil inhaler back then and a corticosteroid inhaler.

Fast forward to age 19, I started seeing a pulmonologist regularly: having spirometry (breathing tests) each year, etc. When I was about 20 he put me on montelukast (Singulair) tabs, once a day. I think in the beginning I was still taking the corticosteroid inhaler, but after a few years I stopped that. I only needed a rescue inhaler when needed.

Since my late 20s-early 30s I noticed a marked difference in my asthma symptoms. The only thing that triggered them was whenever I'd contract bronchitis or whenever I was around tobacco smoke. I was only taking montelukast and barely needed my rescue inhaler... I'd take it maybe 3 times a year, if that. About 3 years ago I started working out at a gym, doing cardio exercise (crosstrainer/elliptical, jogging on the treadmill) for about an hour 3-4 days a week. I was surprised to find I didn't have any real asthma symptoms upon finishing my workout.

Back in March when I read about the "black box warning" on montelukast, which warned of side effects like anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts, I contacted my pulmonologist. He was surprised to learn this as he'd never noticed any of his patients having such side effects (I certainly hadn't noticed them and I'd taken the medication for about 20 years). He suggested that I stop taking it and if my asthmaor allergy symptoms get worse to let him know and he'd find something else for me to take. It's been 3 months since I stopped taking it and I haven't noticed any worsening of allergy or asthma symptoms. Due to the covid-19 lockdown I've been exercising 5 days a week at home, mainly exercise bike and running/jogging around my back yard/neighborhood. Again I don't really have any asthma symptoms, just the usual seasonal allergies (itchy nose, itchy eyes, a bit of sneezing). Is it possible I'd outgrown the asthma or it's become very dormant? My uncle is the only other person in my family who had asthma as a child, but his was severe (he'd end up hospitalized for asthma attacks whereas I've never been). When he became an adult it seemed to disappear and he had no more problems. The last few years I've had a breathing (spirometry) test done my pulmonologist has told me it looks like it came from someone who doesn't even have asthma. I'm seeing him in August for a 1 year follow-up so I'll ask his advice but was wondering if anyone else has ever noticed anything like this.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.