Ovarian Cancer?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello ladies,

I wanted to get your opinions on my wifes symptoms and her experiences in the past year and what we should do about it.

To start off I am a cancer survivor myself.  Age 32 melanoma survivor.  Luckily it was caught early.  

Anyway about a year and a half ago my wife was diagnosed with PCOS by her GYN based off symptomology of slight bloating and the inability to lose weight.. Mainly off her abdomen.  She was put on birth control and sent on her way.  No scans were done at that time.

About a half a year later we were camping and she had a sudden severe pain in her abdomen/pelvis that was so bad that she vomited and couldnt stand or walk etc...  It passed and was completely gone in about an hour or so.  Throughout the next year she had episodes similar to this another 5 to 6 times.  We were thinking it was a ruptured cyst or something of the like.  

Also between each of these episodes she has had extreme bloating on and off and disented (spelling?) stomach and a dull pain off and on in her lower abdomen/pelvis that sometimes goes into her thighs.  Some days its mostly not there, others are bad.  She also has to pee more than most people.  Not excessive but noticably more.

She then had two periods in one month this last month which is unusual for her though it might be a side effect of a new thyroid med she was put on which has it listed as a potential side effect.

ANYWAY, I finally made her go into the ER beacuse the pain was getting bad again and they did blood tests and urine tests which all came back normal.  They also did an Ultrasound and a Transvaginal Ultrasound and they said her ovaries look completely normal.  I demanded they do a CT scan which they did.  They found a 3cm mass in her colon.  She did the colonoscopy prep and then in the colonoscopy they found that the mass was nowhere to be found.  Her colon was completely clean.  The GI doc and Radiologist went over her CT scan several times and said they are sure the mass was in her colon and not outside of it.  It must have been impacted feces that got passed with the cleanse or an error in the CT scan.  I asked if it could be her ovaries etc but they said her ovaries look fine on the CT.  

She is still uncomfortable and whatnot and has an appointment with her GYN again next week and I am going with her to this one and demanding a CA125 blood test and having her ultrasound and CT scan results sent to him beforehand so he has access to them.

Is there anything else I can do?  My wife is 28, we havent had children, has a history of an eating disorder in her teen years which has caused her chronic constipation which the GI doc thinks is causing her pain and perscriped her a laxitive.  She also has anxiety and depression which she is on meds for and does quite well.

I am convinced it isnt her colon and has something to do with her ovaries, but take it with a grain of salt as I am an extreme hypochondriac. 

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Gordon, I'm very sorry to hear that your wife is going through all this agony and pain... My advice is to keep pushing ... I was diagnosed with a 10cm x 11cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary... Which both were removed because lack of blood supply...! I was sent to a&e twice before they actually done any scans! The symptoms I was having was back ache and stomach pains (severe) but going to my GP i was given antibiotics before all of the persisted and went on for about 2-3 years...!

Keep pushing for more tests because if I hadn't have gone back to a&e I dread to think what that cyst would've done... I'm only 25 and no children but my fertility has been slashed by 30% so still chance of pregnancy!

Keep reassuring your wife and telling her things will get sorted just be very persistent and forceful! Let me know how you guys get on good luck

Love Stacey xxx

• Posted

Stacey might I ask how your cyst was found?  What tests did they use to find it?
    • Posted

Good morning smile

I was given a ct scan first then an MRI... This found what I am guessing as a shadow on my ovary... So they then gave me blood tests, a stomach ultrasound then a internal scan ... Which is where they found the dermoid cyst as they could see there was lumps on my right ovary containing teeth... My cyst had actually 'strangled' my ovary and was causing torsion which was given me the pain... I actually got rushed in to a&e with suspected appendicitis but came out an ovary less 😕 xx

• Posted

Please keep pushing .. After many years if being told .either in my head or ibs ..and just cysts... I was told it may be a dermoid cyst but when I had it removed along with my ovary and tube. .. It got tested and in may I was told I have a rare ovarian small cell carcinoma cancer ...so not a dermoid and not in my head and Definitely not ibs ..x
    • Posted

Well at this point like I said I am going to request the CA-125 test and have the GYN look at the CT scan and the ultrasounds and possibly even ask him to do a laparoscopy so we know for sure what is going on.  If that doesnt turn up anything then it probably is something related to her Colon or a food intolerance or really is PCOS.  But I wont stop till I know beyond a reasonable doubt.
  • Posted

hi gordon, can you give us update with your wife condition now and diagnosis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.