Ovarian cancer

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I just could really do with some support right now....yesterday I was diagnosed with a 18cm cyst on my right ovary....I had been noticing some bloating and last week started suffering with pressure on my bladder.. prior to this was starting to miss a few periods so was just thinking a it was down to going through perimenopause....Dr did the ca125 test and it came back as really high so was sent for urgent scan and they picked up the cyst....I was told by the nurse that it will be cancer because of how high my levels were and am now waiting a appointment with a gynecologist on Tuesday and a MRI scan to see whats happening....I am in total shock and absolutely worried sick....I am 47 and my youngest boy is only 13....would appreciate hearing from anyone going through or has been through something similar

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry you are going through this. If the cyst is fluid it usually is benign. The ca 125 is usually in the hundreds if it is cancer as well. The only way to know is a biopsy though.
  • Posted

All I was told yesterday was that the ca125 was high and that it would definitely mean cancer...I don't know anything other than the cyst is on my right ovary and is 18cm....will know more on Tuesday and after the MRI....it's just the most horrendous feeling ever

• Posted

Thank you....I need all the thoughts and prayers I can get right now

• Posted

Hi Tracey I had a dermoid cyst(both fluid & solid matter) removed with my left ovary & tube this past February.

It was benign thankfully.

Initially i was told it wasn't suspicious but further investigations were needed as i was 51 & perimenopausal. It was found the previous April when i was admitted with kidney stones. Fast forward to October last year & I still hadn't had tests as Urology forgot to refer me to Gynae. By end of November I had scans etc & was told it was suspicious & had to be removed for biopsy. The blood test ca125 was high but I was told this was not an indication of cancer as false readings because of endometriosis, fibroids etc can cause this.

I have heard of women who have had high readings & no cancer & the opposite happening with low readings.

I was also told that a hysterctomy was the best option as 'I had had my children & didn't need any of it anymore. I disagreed & did my own research & we very much need our hormones.

I did agree to everything being removed if it was required during my operation as I was told my surgeon would have a very good idea if the area was cancerous.

I managed to keep my uterus, right ovary & tube & although I have more symptoms of menopause now thankfully I'm doing well.

Try not to over worry(easier said than done)and let us know how things progress for you. Take care x

• Posted

Hi dawn thank you for replying....everything just going through my head at the moment it's just so unreal....I am so pleased you are doing ok and it does give me some comfort knowing that somebody as been through what I am going through.....I will know more on Tuesday and after the MRI I will keep you updated....thanks once again for the reply x

• Posted

No problem I understand it's so shocking when your faced with something like this & easy for me to say as I'm out the other side.

Hope everything goes well on Tuesday & things are a bit clearer for you x

• Posted

mmmm

pretty sure its not the nurses call to make - overstepped tsk tsk. best relax and wait for the full conversation with gyno etc

anything about cancer has become so terrifying (so much for charities and 'awareness'wink. even if it is worst case  stats are on your side. my situ was pretty shocking but mirena made a huge diff within 2-3 months and nomalised everything so much i'll ditch it in another 2-3 because the side effects are getting annoying. stressing blows out your estrogen levels which affects everything from hormones to toilet paper choices so try to reduce that best way you can

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.