Ovarian complex cyst older woman

Posted , 6 users are following.

i am 76 years old and have been told I have a complex cyst in my left ovary 6cm.

Older persons do not have cysts? so looks more than likely cancer? My hope is that its benign but do many older people get benign? just so worried and i suppose looking for reassurance. I was told yesterday after visit with my Doctor that she will fast track me to get seen. Does this mean CT scan already had ultrasound scan or admitting for op? how quick will it be or does anyone think private would be quicker. thanks for any info help . When googling it looks grim just hope others have any answers

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I am only 53 but had a cyst on my ovary which was slow growing and 15cm. I had an ultrasound, followed by a CT scan and a blood test which showed the likelihood of cancer fairly slim. I think post menopause these things are quite common so I would try not to worry. You should be seen at a hospital within 2 weeks and that is on the NHS. I delayed my op as I had booked a holiday. I had the operation in September and am as fit as a fiddle now. I was up within 12 hours of the operation and felt no pain, thanks to good pain relief. I realise it may be a little longer as you get older but I think it will be fine. They may even do it keyhole which means you get better even quicker! Unfortunately mine was too big so had to have a big cut!
    • Posted

Hi. Just taking a chance that you are still following this site as your post was 7 years ago.

My cat scan showed that my ovarian fibroid cyst had grown to about 20 cm. This has been growing for quite a while, as I have looked 9 months pregnant for at least 3 years. I did not see my doctor for 9 months during Covid then waited 7 months for the cat scan.

I have had severe pain in my lower back and left hip. Though my lower back shows arthritis from an MRI a while ago, some of the pain could be attributed to the fibroid because of its size, according to what I read. Just started having a dull ache this morning.

I am 52, went through early menopause. I am not actually sure when menopause was because for many years I took the birth control pill continuously with no break for a period. I stopped taking the pill probably about 5 years ago as I had been diagnosed with premature peripheral artery disease. I know - Lots of medical issues going on. My body sure has taken a beating for about the last 20 years.

Just looking for some reassurance that your fibroid was not cancerous and everything was fine.

Thanks.

Pauline

• Posted

Thankyou alexandra for your email and very happy you have recovered and are in good health.

i had the 125 blood test and showed normal. However i understand now that these are not reliable in my age. I hope that i can get seen fairly soon my stomach is very bloated and i have dull ache in bottom of stomach and back pain. i know that this can be caused by the cyst but being 76 really have to be realistic etc.

thanks again for your reply and once i have op etc will put on here.

• Posted

Not many people my age on this site

I know I am old and you are all going through such difficult times but still feel like young

Some lovely stories and lovely people on here

Happy my daughter found this for me

Any advice please complex ovary my age is it most likely cancer

• Posted

Hi

As Alexandra said, try not to worry.  I know this is easier said than done.  I am 43 and they found a 7 x 5 x 5 mass on my left ovary, which I had removed laprascopic ally along with my ovary and Fallopian tube at the end of March, they think it was n endometriona.  

I got seen very quickly, from the start though internal ultrasound, CT scan, blood tests, conultant appointment and operation all within three months.

Are you in the uk ? If so whereabouts ? As far as going privately is concerned I considered that, but found the hospital I was treated t fantastic and tht was NHS.

Please try not to worry, we all do it, it's fear of the unknown.

i am happy to try and calm your nerves, just drop me a message.

Take Care

axxxxx

• Posted

Hi Allyson

thankyou so much for your reply

yes very worried and i am convinced its cancer. My doctor

said it looks likely to be that . I paid for ultrasound myself at health

centre doctor never refered me did myself. It came up complex mass

6cm left ovary contained inside ovary. This was two weeks ago tgis thursday coming and still waiting for ct letter appointment. I live in leicestet

and hospitals here are bursting with too many people. My stomach not always bloated and not urinating any different but lost 4lbs but that coukd be stress. Such a stressfull time isnt it waiting etc thanks again for your advice

• Posted

Hi again

I have had my ct scan and appontment this Monday to discuss etc

Yes you was right not to go private all in all so far 27 days from beginning to outcome i hope its good news and will let forum know

• Posted

Hi Allyson

Can I ask what your symptoms were? Google isn’t the best doctor I know but putting my symptoms in and I get this answer-ovarian cysts. When walking, after a while (and those ‘whiles’ are getting shorter) I feel a sharp pain very low in my pelvic area, radiating thru to my back. Going to the loo is uncomfortable....other things too but these two things is what concerns me. 

• Posted

Hello there.  I am 43, and so to be 44.  Here is what I have been told by my GYN/ONC.  First, there are various types of cysts.  I have a multi-loculated 30 cm cyst (i.e. complex cyst).  This type of cyst may or MAY NOT be malignant.  The benign type are frequently call cystadenoma, the other is a cystadenocarcinoma.  Both have two types - serious or mucinous.  However, only 10% of these types metatsis outside of itself, and it does take a while (from what doctors have told me).  Even - most of the time, the malignant type - cancer cells are contained inside the tumor.  So, even if the tumor is malignent, 90% of those are contained and are considered Stage One.  (Stage one Prognosis is like 90-98%.  Tumor is removed and cancer is gone.  Most doctors will still want a few roundsof chemo to be SAFE.  But The outlook is excellent. 

Here is what was explained to me with my oncologist.  The most important thing, if the cysts has any potential for possibly having cancer cells, the cyst should be removed WHOLLY.  This is not a cyst to be drained, and keyhole surgery may not be the best choice.  Should any fluid accidently flow into your abdominal cavity, that fluid may have cancer cells, so this is not what anyone would want.  By removing the cyst whole, the risk of fluid getting into your body is greatly reduced.  Taking a biopsy before the surgery for this type of cysts is also not recommended, because it could rupture.  Now, maybe there are cancer cells, and mayber there isnt', but the cysts should be biopsied after it is removed to make that determination.  Also, when the surgeon removes the cysts, they will take biopsies of various parts, this is called staging.  They will test to see if there are potential cancer cells in other areas....to be safe.  Stage I, II, and II cancers are very treatable especially with today's treatments.  I would definitely speak to your doctor and get as much information as you can. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.