Ovarian Cyst 23 cm ( 9.5 inch )

Posted , 62 users are following.

An ultrasound scan has detected a big 23cm ( 9.5 inch ) ovarian cyst. I am 62 years old have no pain but a very large swollen stomach, Has anyone had such a large cyst or had a cyst at my age? If yes please let me know how the surgery went. My surgeon is treating my case as urgent and tomorrow I go for a MRI scan with surgery to follow asap.

9 likes, 155 replies

155 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello so glad I found this site, I have so many worries and concerns so it helps to share. I have had a largeovarian cyst diagnosed through a couple of scans last week. It is the size of a football! I have had no pain, but my stomach has swollen so large I look 6 months pregnant. I am also suffering from constipation and I have to pee every hour, as it appears to be pressing on my bladder. I also suffer from heartburn and wind, not pleasant sad I would like to know how long people had to wait for surgery and what type of surgery I

should expect (recovery etc). My GP has advised that they are unlikely to remove it by keyhole surgery, as its too big and that I should expect major surgery. I had the scans last Thursday, but am still waiting to see the gynecologist at my local hospital. The waiting and not knowing when my op will be is the worse thing,

you imagine all sorts of things (like cancer) and its scary knowing you have an alien growing in your body! Any advice would help JX

• Posted

How did your surgery go? I have 2 cysts on ovaries 10 cm one on each. I am scared my surgery is tomorrow how did it go once going in to surgery? I want this over with so bad,the pain is unbearable.
  • Posted

Hi there

I had my surgery (full hysterectomy and omendectomy) on the 4th of September, and to be honest it really wasn't as bad as I had imagined it would be, I was up and about the next day and only in hospital overnight. The worst bit of recovery was very painful built up wind, so for god sake take the lactulose. I was able to bimble about fairly comfortably after 2 weeks and returned to work after four weeks. my biggest struggle has been the HRT which made my memory really bad, so came off it and now the hot flushes are really unpleasant, and its like having a 1000 hot pins driven into your hands feet and head, nothing seems to ease it so i'm just going to let nature take its course.

Good luck

• Posted

Jenny

I think it will be fine. To be honest the pain and discomfort was only poor for a week or so and take the analgesia offered. Like the other comments up and about the next day and they get you moving quickly.

This is better than being in bed and reduces all other risks.

On the positive side, l felt better almost immediately after the first 2 weeks of extreme tiredness. People kept saying how much better l looked even though l did not think l was ill. I had v few symptoms.

They will not be able to do it keyhole as it needs to be intact when they remove it unless v small.

Look further back through the other posts and it probably says everything you need.

I am 6 months on now- sadly put the weight back l lost post cyst (it weighed 10lbs) but clearly much healthier. They will not leave you waiting for this to be done as far as l could see,.

They will advise you not to fly before surgery now (in case any hols booked) as you have an increased risk of DVT with such a large mass in your abdomen,

To be honest l have have had excruciating toothache which was worse than this laparotomy! At least you can have morphine here!

Good luck

Rachel

• Posted

Hi Kaz & Rachel thank you for your comments, it helps to know that their are some lovely people out there who have experienced the same thing X wink It has been a hell of couple of years with a marriage breakdown,depression and now this, but I am focusing on the positives, like a flat tummy and feeling physically well again after the op XXXX
  • Posted

Hello girls smile

I have been reading all your replys and I have to say it has set my mind at ease a little.

Tonight I went for my second scan,and I am shocked The first scan I had they found a small cist only about 5cm But it was continually bleeding inside itself and on the outside (I could see a black mass on the scanner That was the blood surrounding it) I then went on to have a few more doctors appointment and another hospital examination,were the doctor rushed thru another scan..I was really hoping that it had gone,but infact the nurse said there are two now ? in one month ? HOW ?? one is 6 cm and the other has grown to nearly 6 cm also..I forgot to ask if this new one also contained blood..I am very scared, I just dont get it, Has anyone else had this happen..Any advice would be so much appreciated..I also had a blood test last week and the doctor called me to say my blood count is very low,he has now put me on iron tablets.

• Posted

Hi Sam

Yikes that sounds scary, its always the unknown that is the worse, you imagine all sorts of things. Push your gynaecologist to explain everything to you, and how they will treat the cysts and when. I have my hospital apt today, so am hoping I will know more soon too. Good luck hun I'm sure we will both be ok XXX

• Posted

Hello ladies

Well I had an apt with my gynaecologist today and had another scan. My cyst has now grown to 20cm and is filled with mucus. It is currently resting under my liver and is squashing all my other organs. I am having CT scan next week to check for organ damage and signs of cancer and will be having a operation with a vertical cut to remove it and my ovaries within the next 4-5 weeks. Feeling really scared now and not looking forward to the resulting early menopause.

Trying to stay positive though and hoping post op I will be a slimmer, healthier Jenny!

• Posted

I had 2 c-sections within a year because both were premature i suffered from ovarian cysts and endometriosis so i had several more surgeries including laparscopic hysterectomy apendectomy and gallbladder being the last one a little more than a year ago in all it was about 13 surgeries it made my anxiety and depression worse i am just now starting to feel better after that many surgeries in about 9 yrs why did it take so long to start feeling better any info that may help me understand more about this will help alot thank you
  • Posted

What a great site! So glad I found it... My gynecologist has been following my fibroids for quite awhile. After having a pelvic sonogram in November, she was surprised to see the results showing a 5cm cyst on my R ovary. To be totally cautious, she had me follow up with a gynecologist/oncologist who recommended a second pelvic sonogram 4-6 weeks later. I had the second sonogram 7 weeks later, and it had grown to 12cm. Reading the stories here are comforting as every emotion described is what I am currently experiencing. I'm scheduled for surgery the end of March, and my emotions have run the gambit. And as many have stated, I am so comforted by the stories of those of you who have gone through this and come out on the other side just fine. If all goes well, I look forward to coming back here and hopefully sharing my positive experience with the next woman who will come here, just as we have. Wish me luck!
  • Posted

Hello Latrenda

I feel the same its great to be able to share and hear about positive outcomes. My operation is scheduled for the 3rd March, scared, but at least I can make plans now. My cyst is now 21cm and by the size of my stomach still growing, they are taking out my ovaries, appendix and sample tissue for testing. Worried about the operation and recovery, but hoping all will go well. Good luck with yours XXX

• Posted

Good luck to you as well. My surgery is scheduled for March 27th. It's so scary not knowing. My first sonogram stated the cyst had "benign characteristics" which was comforting. The second sonogram report noted "Marked enlargement...adenoma cannot be ruled out." So the emotions are a bit of a roller coaster right now. I look forward to meeting back here after both of our surgeries to report all is well. As personal as this is to all of us, at least we know that in a large aspect, we're all in this together...
  • Posted

Jenny - how did your operation go? I hope that you are ok!!

Latrenda - good luck for yours! Try not to worry because at least they are doing something about it. You could not know and that is scarier!!

I have a 12cm by 9cm cyst on my right ovary, that measurement was 2 weeks ago and I am sure it has gotten bigger since then! I am starting to get really uncomfortable where it is pressing up against my organs and sometimes I get a dead leg where it must be pressing on a nerve.

I am waiting for my MRI scan and then surgery after that. I am so frightened as I haven't had an operation before! I have been reading everyones threads as it is nice to talk to people in the same position as you.... there are so many lovely ladies on here!

• Posted

Hey honestly its really nothing to worry about, as they say its better out than in, and mine was a whopping 23cm, solid ovarian cyst, i had a full hysterectomy and omendectomy and believe me the thought of it is worse than the reality. I was in hospital for two nights and laid up for about 2 weeks and then back to work after 4 weeks.
    • Posted

I am at about 20cms now I think! I have had three scans and all show I am growing by about 2cm per week. I havent had a scan to confirm that it is 20cm but it REALLY sticks out and i laid a tape measure over the top of it yesterday and it measures 20cm left to right. So give or take with the growth by scan, I reckon thats about where I am. This thread is so helpful as it all seems to be about big cysts!

I saw my surgeon on 4th April with my last measurement of 14cm by 14cm and I am STILL waiting for a surgery date. Even though he told me it would be at the end of this month and he considers my surgery to be an urgent case....  How long did it take before you got your surgery dates through Kazreeeen & Jenny? I dont understand why it is taking them so long to arrange a date! As if it isnt scary enough as it is! lol xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.