Ovarian Cyst

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I have a friend that had an ovorian cyst removed about two weeks ago. She had a laparotomy salpingo oopherectomy cystectomy done. She complains if swelling of the stomach to the point that she is unable to wear any of her clothes. Has anyone experienced this type of swelling and is it normal. What us the normal recovery period. She is still unable to walk more than 10 minutes.

Vivian

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It depends what type of operation she had done. If it was keyhole it doesn't take as long to recover. Open surgery they say takes about 6 weeks. Even so I was told about 3 months for full recovery.

I had open surgery around 8 weeks and still can't wear outfits too tight like my jeans. She'll get there eventually. You may not be able to see on the outside but it'll certainly take a while for it heal internally x

• Posted

Thank you.

It was actually open surgery. I will tell her what you said.

Vivian

• Posted

Hiya. I had a vertical laparotomy 8 weeks ago to remove cysts. I was so swollen to begin with that I actually have stretch marks from it! The swelling will gradually go down but I am still slightly swollen now. After about 4 weeks your friend should be able to wear clothes a little more comfortably. But I still find trousers/jeans are so uncomfortable and tens to wear leggings/dresses/loose skirts.

Walking takes a long time to get back to normal. Again, I can now walk my dog for about an hour but I get tired after that. Its a long process but she will get there! I think I could move much more comfortably around 4 weeks after. I sill have a slight waddle and pain at 8 weeks though.

All the best to your friend. It's slow but she will get there xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.