ovarian cyst

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a bilateral ovarian cystectomy a year ago last November, I had pain before that but the pain is unbelievable now! I had the follow up with a consulatant 5months after and I told them yet they said I was fine! I am due to see a gynaecologist this month! I had scans and they said my left ovary is enlarged and my lining is abnormally thick! They've said it's not pcos (bloods rule that out) not endometriosis (scan doesn't show anything to support it) but they have said they want me to have a biopsy! I have chronic pain in my hips groin stomach and back, I feel like I'm losing my mind! I'm a single parent and work full time I can't let it stop me! It's bringing me down and I'm struggling I can't help thinking the worst! Any advice greatly appreciated

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katy 08921, I would be interested to know what happens. I had a suspected cyst 2 years ago and it ended up being a very large fibroid. Had a myeomectomy, initally I felt fine, but have since felt progressively worse. I get terrible lower back pain and pain around the front of my stomach and pubic bone area. I can be doubled over on a bad day. Having waited 6 months I am due to see a consultant on the 17th January so I will let you know what happens. It may not be the same thing at all, but does sound similar although I am getting real problems with my memory too (no idea if stress or hormonal). They haven't ruled out endometriosis for me and a doctor recently said she didn;t think I had a fibroid, but I might (not exactly calming) but I understand how it feels when you just don't know.

Please try not to worry (easier said than done) it sounds positive that they are trying to investigate and work out what is wrong. Although I don't know how you're feeling, if you are like me some days are just a struggle to get out of bed and have a normal routine. Stay positive, sorry I can't help much but sending you lots of hugs smile

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying. I had the cysts about 6 years befor they finally did something! When they took them out they were bigger than the scan showed(scan 6weeks before op) had biopsy on them they came back fine. It's just annoying because unless you pop the pills ( which I can't function on) they don't believe you! My boss has even offered to write letters. I have pain every day like you say some worse than others! My appointment is the 16th so let's compare and see! The memory thing is odd I have the same or stumble sentences thought it was just because im a mum I'm on my own with two monsters lol xx nothing helps the pain paracetamol and ibuprofen don't touch naproxen is good but can make you feel sick but I refuse to take co codamol as it makes me feel really drunk and I can't feel like that with the kids x I'm 28 and I've been begging for three years to for them to take it all out. I'm adamant my hormones aren't right but they say they are fine xx

• Posted

Hi Katy, I tried not to take anything at all but initally started on ibuprofen but it got progressively worse. They gave me codiene phosphate which doesn't touch it and mefenamic acid (apparently that is good for pain during your period) again didn't help. Now on tramadol which can take the edge off it, but I am not keen on relying on painkillers as it just masks things rather than anything else. People know with me when I am suffering as it is so obvious. I totally think a lot of it is hormonal, I can be a real emotional wreck sometimes.

Again I know it is not the same, but can't help thinking that sometimes GPs just fob off 'womens' problems as something we should just endure. I have over recent years taken up more exercise and changed my diet. Yoga helps, probably more with the stress than anything and can pick my mood up a little. I don't have children (another part of the story I think) so I can only imagine what my memory or energy levels would be if I did! Sounds like you have a lot on at the mo and I know how much stress is caused when you feel like no one is listening. I'll let you know how it goes on the 17th, lets keep our fingers crossed for some answers smile

• Posted

I should clarify by 'women's problems' I mean anything linked to the womb, ovaries, fibroids, cysts, endometriosis etc. They seem to chuck everything into one category and put it down to being oversensitive. Hard when it takes over your life, I can hinestly say I have great days and bad days. Very strange, rollercoaster ride for me x

• Posted

Totally agree they do! I had one doctor who has treated my lady problems since I was 8 saying I'm depressed I went to another doctor who said no your down about how your feeling! Can you function on tremadol it's codeine that kills me xx

• Posted

Ok so two problems lol xx

Bilateral trapped nerves explains burning pain

Polyps size of grape in my womb so will be having a two for one at some point laparoscopy to check organs are fine and no adhesions and hysterscope for biopsy and removal of polyps xx So since my last scan befor my last op the were no polyps now there is she said I will have to have biopsies every year but I should be ok xx my enlarged ovary apparently it's polycystic although not polycystic syndrome xx at least there is some kind of plan hope yours goes well tomorrow xx

• Posted

Wow that is a lot of comprehensive information. Good to know the cause of everything. How are you feelinng about it all? They did the scans previously didn't they? I guess the laparoscopy will identify everything, have you had one before?

I guess it's just good to know the cause of everything at least. Also good they they want to monitor with annual biopsies. Was it the consultant you spoke to?

Thanks for tomorrow, I have so much to tell them am taking a list so that I don't forget everything that is happening. Thanks hu, let me know how everything goes x x If you need any advice about a laparoscopy feel free to ask, had one before x x

• Posted

Never had one befor just a laparotomy 😳 Can't be any worse can it? xx yeah scans never showed up anything in my womb before so we've moved from ovaries to womb good old body lol xx I'm better now I've got answers annoyed it will be pills again to lighten periods possibly stop them after the op has been done, it's a new thing apparently I'm assuming it a pre menopausal tablet! hopefully after all this is done I should be healthier and happier. Yeah it was a consultant she was lovely and helpful just wish someone went with me so I could ask if I've missed anything xx

• Posted

I was due to have a laparotomy and ended up having a laparoscopy (well investigation). I don't think it is any worse at all, although never had the laparotomy in the end. 

My background is I had scans 2 years ago, they found a smalll cyst on my ovary something like 10 x 10cm (I think). Went to speak to someone at the hospital who then blurted out I could posssibly need to have an ovary removed (bit of a schock). Put on the pill for it, next thing I knew I was in agony rushed to A&E consultant got me into surgery within an hour or so, with a very large fibroid 15 x something. Put on zoladex (this stopped my periods, put on HRT for back reaction). 3 months later surgery for a 23cm x 23cm degenerated fibroid that was leaking into my body. 

After my op I was definately a different person. I totally know what you mean. It is quite often a lot to take in and questions come to you after. You could always try emailing or speaking to the consultant's secretary, they may be able to pass on questions and get back to you.

The worst bit about it was constantly having to tell nursesI was not pregnant, constantly taking pregnancy tests and being sent to neonatal care. Generally people work hard and try their best though. I am sure you will be fine, if I can help with any questions just ask x x

• Posted

HI Katy, apologies for the late update (I lost the post somehow). Had my scan the other day, fibroids returned but all small 2cm ish each. They have said it is not the fibroids causing pain (although where the fibroids are is where the pain is). Text book says fibroids cause no pain!!!

It is unlikely the fibroids are causing my period pain as they are too small, it is not endometriosis as my op 3 years ago would ahve shown. Could be related to previous scarring or possible adhesions. Only options laparoscopy which they think isn't worth it. Esmya or a mirena coil which will affect my fertility as I may want to concieve and due to previous drugs and the affects of previous fibroids I have lost 5 years of opportunity (I'm 36).

So painkillers for me is the only option. The 3 days a month doubled over wretching is something I have to live with and the horrendous back pain for 10 days to 2 weeks prior to my period can only really be treated with hormones other things I have tried have been unsuccessful. I am nervous as last time my 'small' 4cm fibroid become 23cm in a matter of months. 

I have an open appointment so that I can go back or ask for the consultant any time in the next 12 months as it is not being monitores. Have to say I am nervous as my last experience I got in a really bad way before anything was done. Fingers crossed. I;m working on yoga and diet (as like last time some foods are starting to hurt when I eat). Anyway nearly 72hours on I am very tender and sore. Lets see what happens next x

• Posted

That's not good I'm sorry it's not gone to plan for you xx if your still bad I would keep pushing xx

• Posted

I don't whether they've told you about this drug but apparently it's fairly new it's esmya it's for women who haven't started the menopause, it's slows and can decrease fibroids growing, lightens periods and can stop them all together xx might be worth pestering them xx

• Posted

Katy. I had pain on my back, pelvic area and abdomen. I also had ovarian cysts I did not know about, however they were not that large but because I am post menopause doctor recommended taking out both ovaries.  He said I should not have had that much pain from them. As it turns out, when he was doing the surgery, laparoscopy, he found a whole lot of scar tissue he had to remove.  Scar tissue does not show up on scans or X-rays.  I had been examined a year prior by another gynecologist who did an internal exam and checked with a light and she could feel and see scar tissue and said it was around my colon.  She did not offer any solution.   Anyways it may be possible you may have scar tissue causing your pain.  Anyone can have scar tissue from Having  kids, surgery, etc. I feel so much better now. 
  • Posted

Katy. Look up abdominal adhesions, scar tissue.
    • Posted

Hoya lovely they are going to do a laparoscopy while they do a polypectomy from my lining and a biopsy xx they are also referring me to a chronic pain team for the nerves! The
    • Posted

Sorry pressed wrong bit lol xx they are also putting me on tablets esmya after I've had the op I've read up on the and they are to help stop fibroids growing and to block the proestrogen receptors and to stop shedding of the lining xx apparently to take them every day for 3 months then stop for 2 months xx I'm hoping it works xx

• Posted

For your reply. They have recommended esmya but I'm not sure having now lost nearly 5 years of being able to conceive I am genuinely wary of anything that could have a long term impact x x just giving myself time to think through my options.

• Posted

That's fair enough lovely give yourself as much as needed xx I'm using that option as I'm too young for a hysterectomy xx have they not giving you any other options I think it's horrendous leaving you xx

• Posted

My options are laparoscopy, Mirena coil, esmya or continued painkillers. Let me know about the esmya as any info would be appreciated, I need to do as much research as possible. If it is anything close to the side affects I experienced from zoladex then I really can't have them and HRT to counteract them sad Fingers crossed, I know everyone is different. I guess I was hoping they may monitor it, but at least an open appointment is better than nothing.

• Posted

I suppose that is a good thing but still a pain in the ass xx I will she doesn't want me to have them until after the op incase it interferes I've read up on it it's seems ok but apparently it causes dizziness so I'm not looking forward to that xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.