Ovarian cyst

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am s/p hysterectomy two years ago, everything but my ovaries were taken. I was in the ER on Tuesday for a ovarian cyst that burst, by far the worst pain I've ever had. I was given pain meds and sent home. How long will this pain last? I am absolutely miserable, I can barely walk and the pain meds barely help. Please tell me this is all normal? TIA

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had hysterectomy 6 years ago. 3 weeks ago I was rushed to hospital with acute abdominal pain. Turned out ovarian cyst burst on right ovary. During ultrasound discovered a complex cyst on left. The pain from rupture lasted about 1 week severely and then started to calm down. I no longer take painkillers regularly just occasional back pain and dragging pain down my thighs. I'm having emergency operation to remove ovaries and lymph nodes on 3rd and fingers crossed that will be end of it. I'm thankful the cyst on right burst otherwise I would never have known about the complex one.

• Posted

They didn't give you antibiotics either? The pain down your thigh could be the infection spreading. What is it with these doctors?

• Posted

I don't think it's normal that they didn't give you antibiotics. If the cyst burst then you could end up with septic shock. 

• Posted

I wasn't given antibiotics when I left the er either, becasue my cbc was normal they sent me home with pain pills. Today I'm still in pain, can barely walk & now have a low grade fever. I may be taking another trip to the er

• Posted

Julie, definitely take another trip to an ER when you can. Is there a better one? Explain to them what happened , maybe give them your discharge report etc. Can't believe they just dismissed you with pain meds like that especially if you are in severe pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.