Ovarian Cyst

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, just looking for advice really.

About a year ago I started to get bad pains in my lower left side of my tummy, went to the doctors and they simply said it was constipation. Back in October, I went back to the doctors as yes, I have severe constipation - I'm lucky if I go once a week. I bloat like crazy, to the point where it looks as if I'm 7 months pregnant. I also have a constant dull ache in my lower left tummy, and every now and then a really horrible sharp pain, so the point where I want to cry and throw up. I have also developed very bad acne on my face. Not sure if it is related at all, but every single time I eat, I get heartburn. I also am afraid to have sex, because the last time I did it, I cried in pain. I can't even put a tampon in without my lower left hurting.

Now, I went and had my scan done recently, and they have said I have a 5cm cyst on my left ovary. Fine, I know what the cause of the pain is, My doctor has told me to wait 4 months for another scan to see if it has shrunk or gotten worse, and I understand this is procedure, however I don't think I can put up with the pain and symptoms for another 4 months. She didn't recommend anything to help with the pain, just simply said I have a 'normal' cyst.. What is classed as normal?! I'm probably overreacting, but I am in tears because of the pain and I am simply not happy with what the doctor has said to me. Please can someone give me some advice about what to do next? Shall I wait, shall I get a 2nd opinion at a private hospital? I have had to take days off work due to the pain it causes and I can't do this so close to Christmas!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

if the pain is unbearable i would suggest u go back as they have a duty of care to at least provide u with pain relief if nothing else

• Posted

I have had to go to the pharmacy and ask for help! Doctor called back and said about a 6 week scan instead of 4 months.

• Posted

hi Megan, sorry to hear what your going through. i know your pain, i was in so much pain with an ovarian cyst (without knowing i had one) that i ended up in a&e and underwent emergency surgery. My cyst was about 25cm's and had twisted around ovary which ended up with me having the ovary removed as it was so damaged. this is 100% a last resort, i would recommend going down the private health care route if you don't get any support as kim has mentioned. its not helpful that eating is also unpleasant, i still panic every time i have a pain because i'm so worried about my remaining ovary. i would try again and if not joy please seek alternative help (private health care). good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. I spoke to my doctor again as she wasn't the person who usually does the appointments - don't know why they booked me in with her in the first place! And they have said to have another scan in 6 weeks time instead of 4 months. Still tempted to go down private care as went to doctors about this previously and they simply fobbed me off, saying it was constipation and I was 'too young' to have PCO! I hope you are okay and I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your ovary.

• Posted

wat about something for the pain in the mean time i mean 6 weeks is still along time

• Posted

I have the Nurofen Ibuprofen mixed with Codeine, but you can only take these for 3 days at a time. Also tried hot water bottles and the hotties you heat up in the microwave, but it doesn't pass. I'm honestly at breaking point and I'm not getting any professional advice at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.