Ovarian cyst 8cm

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am awaiting surgery for a bilateral oopherectomy following diagnosis for an 8cm cyst. I have been having symptoms for over 12 months but actually didn't go to the doctors until the end of last year. I am 51 years old and post menopausal.

I suffer from bloating, stomach cramps, fatigue and nausea. I've lost over a stone in weight.

I've been told that the 18 week target time for urgent surgery is being exceeded by 30-40 weeks! That means I could be waiting for nearly a year. Not sure I can cope with the symptoms and anxiety for that long! It's impossible to get through on the hospital admissions phone line to ask for a date.

Just wondered if anyone else had to wait this long and how they managed their symptoms?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm 52. I've got 2 ovarian cysts. Left ovary is a dermoid cyst 15cm x 11cm right ovary is a fibroid cyst 5cm x 5cm. I've been under my gynae for just over 2 years and I'm down for surgery but need to lose some weight for a better/safer outcome. I am under a watch and wait plan and if my cysts cause me any problems I have to go straight to A&E and ask for my surgeon to see me. I have MRI scans yearly to see exactly what's going on but my symptoms are minimal at the moment. If your symptoms are unbearable to cope with try to speak with your gynae secretary and ask can you see the gynae again. My gynae secretary is very helpful. If no joy go to A&E if you really can't cope with pain. My symptoms are mainly bloating, constipation, lack of appetite hence weight gain as I pick on the wrong foods. back and groin pain/twinges. Hope you get sorted out soon.

• Posted

Thanks for the message. I have tried the secretary but that is also difficult to get through.

I hope you get sorted out soon too.

• Posted

I have heard that if you admit yourself to emergency with unbearable pain they will remove it there and then.

• Posted

Yes that would be my last resort. Pain is manageable its just the waiting, feel like life is on hold at the moment.

Thank you for your reply

• Posted

I felt the same when I was told they wouldn't operate unless I lost weight or it becomes unbearable. I felt lost at first feeling I'd been shoved to one side but overtime I have learned to live with the cysts and the plan thats in place and that it's for the better for me not them. They won't leave you if they think it's an urgent matter. I go back for an MRI in December then my Gynaecologist will contact me to discuss my scan a few weeks later and hopefully make a date for surgery. Are they still seeing you at out patient on a watch and wait basis and sending you for scans or are you just waiting for a date for surgery?

• Posted

just waiting for a date. I did ask my doctor if I should get another scan done but she didn't think so. I'll chase again next week.I just found this forum and its nice to communicate with other sufferers. Thank you.

• Posted

hello

i had the same operation in february luckily for me i got in pretty quickly within like 2-3 weeks but my cyst was 25cm almost.

there is no miracle for your symptoms but i would suggest just eating small and often to try ease the bloating. and to make sure you do eat to prevent any further weighloss. xx

• Posted

hi, I had the same op for a 15 cm cyst. before they removed my right ovary and tube they first tried to treat it with strong antibiotics, which failed, they then operated to drain it which also failed, and it just started to grow again! Iam so shocked that they are leaving you so long for an op!! Because i had peritonitis 10 years earlier, which occurred from giving birth to my daughter, they had to cut right down my stomache (opening my previous scar). The incision went from my belly button right down to the top of my vagina. Waking up from the op i was in soo much pain it was unbeleivable! also waking up from the op, as soon as the nurse woke me in recovery i was screaming with the pain, but weirdly, the pain was on the other side of my stomache. I dont want to scare you, I am just preparing you for what will happen, of course you are going to be in a great deal of pain after the op, but at least its done! mine was 2 years ago now, iam 41, so this did sort of mess with my moods an hormones! like a mini menopause. i was also put on 2 types of antibiotics for 3months. i am still a bit tender to this day. and if i am playing with my grandkids my instant reaction is to protect my stomache. i still have periods but they are no way as bad as they used to be.

You will be fine, and soo relieved when its done! I wish you well, and a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Thanks Lisa, I now have another scan next week to see if it has grown/changed then I am hoping they will give me a date. Just so frustrating not being told any clue of time scale for the operation. Thanks again for sharing your experience and glad you are now recovered x

• Posted

iam shocked that they are not giving you a date for your op!! when i went in for a scan after they had tried to drain it, the sonographer sent me straight to emergency because he could see by looking at me that i was still ill, i was sweating like mad, due to infection. so the er admitted me an operated straight away, but only to cut the abcess out. a few months later they booked me in for a laparotomy to remove my tube and ovary as i told them i still had pains and was very scared that it was coming back. i still worry now that it will return.

please keep me updated with how you are. fingers crossed you wont have to wait much longer!! good luck xxx

• Posted

Thank you Lisa, i finally got the letter last week and now have my op on 10th July so not long to wait now. feeling very nervous as haven't ever had any operations but so glad to get sorted. Hope you continue to stay well and thanks again for your support xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.