Ovarian Cyst and fertility

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 21 years old and have been experiencing a dull constant ache in my abdomen which has been turning into sharp intense pain, enough to wake me during the night. Due to this I decided to arrange an appointment with my GP. She arranged an Ultra sound scan and the results have come back....

It turns out that on my left ovary it has a large cyst that they are concerned about and on my right ovary I have lots of little cysts around the outside. 

Because of this they are referring me to see a gynaecologist, due to the large cyst being the main priority. 

However, my main concern is my fatility, how will these cysts effect it? Has anyone else suffered with similar cysts and be able to offer information and advice? 

Thank you x

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Did they happen to tell you what type of cysts they are? Also, do you have a period regularly? 

• Posted

Hello Margie 

Thank you so much for your reply! 

They haven't done yet rolleyes and the earliest they can get me to see a consultant is the 11th of November which feels ages away! Unfortunately I am unaware how my periods work due to being on the progestogen only pill since I was about 16 xx

• Posted

You are probably suffering from PCOS. Polycystic ovarian syndrome. It may make getting pregnant a bit difficult but not impossible. They will probably put u on birth control pills for a few months to control recurrence of more cysts
    • Posted

Thank you for you reply ! I am currently on the progestogen only pill and have been since I was about 16 xx
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte,

I had a large ovarian cyst removed and two months later got pregnant. I have endometriosis and I know it's different for everyone but it was easy for me so even if you do have cysts, there's always hope it won't be too difficult! 

• Posted

Thank you so much Shannon for your reply! I'm such a worrier! All I want is to have children ! I have spoken to my partner and if they say it's difficult to fall pregnant then we have said that we would start trying, however I would like to finish uni first, I'm in my final year now smile xx

• Posted

I completely understand! Some advice for when you do start trying though, don't feel pressured. It will happen when it's supposed to and if you feel stressed about it and worried that it won't happen then it will make getting pregnant that much more difficult. Hang in there. I worry too but all will be well!! 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.