Ovarian cyst and slightly raised ca 125 levels.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please can I ask if anyone has had a similar experience.

At the start of Jan my job changed and at the same time I came down with really uncomfortable IBS symptoms, cramps every morning until about lunch time and often making me nauseous and sometimes vomiting.  I went to the doctors about 3 weeks ago and said I thought it was stress - he ordered bloods to be done.  My left side was particularly sore.  Two weeks ago I was in a minor car accident and immediately after passed a kidney stone - which I thought might  account for the cramps and nausea.  I also developed a UTI trying to pass the thing.  Next day they did my bloods and started treating the UTI and ordered an ultrasound to check for more stones.  

At the ultrasound she said she kept asking about my periods and said she had been asked to check my ovaries as my CA 125 was only a little raised - 38.  I didn't know it had been tested.  She found a really small cyst.  And said they would look at it again in 6 weeks and see if there's any change.  

Due to a lot of run ins with OC and various friends and family members, mum instantly offered to pay for a private hysterectomy - rather than wait 6 weeks.  Now I know it's only slightly raised result and I know that it is unreliable test.  But it is really tempting. Since the stone I have cramping all day.  Am I crazy for being tempted?  

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there,  I thought i'd share my experience so far since you mentioned having bad IBS. I had that problem too earlier this year and been having discomfort with loud sounds in the abdomen area since then.. i took my annual blood test and this time added on the tumor markers and it came back resulting high readings for CA125 and CA19.9 and when I had the ultrasound done, they found the cyst in my ovaries...

Now after reading your post and several replies indicating experiencing IBS, I wonder if it is considered a common symptom to have to indicate something may be going on in the reproductive system as well as so far I don't see this as part of the symptoms list for ovarian cyst except for feeling bloated or constipating...

Hope you get well soon!

• Posted

Thank you, Sharon.  It does seem to be fairly common symptom.  It's odd as my Aunt who had a very large tumour removed - had no symptoms at all.  And most people she knows with OC didn't have any.  

Since finishing work my symptoms have pretty much vanished - which does point to IBS in my case.  But when I had the pain and cramps it was really focussed on the side that the cyst was.  So I wonder if the IBS exacerbated it (in my case).  

What are they planning on doing about your cyst, Sharon?  

All the best, Cathy    

• Posted

Hi, Just thought id share my experiences, I am post memopausal CA125 level was low, Ultrasound showed 4 cysts 2 on left ovary one on right side they think could be dermoid cyst and other right one they not quite sure what its attached to! they are all quite small,went to GP because of bloating and pain in lower abdomen, also have had diarreah on and off and loud tummy rumblings, lots burping so Sharon think you are right that abdomen issues can cause digestive problems, trouble  is with ovarian cysts you can read that there should be no symptoms at att, then you read a long list of symptoms you could experience, ive found discussion sites like this one with women who actually have cysts provide the best information and a lot of women have these symptoms, cos if you think about it if you had a cyst on the outside of your body it would cause pain and its a foreign body inside you  im seeing a gynacologist in 3 weeks so hopefully will get rid of the buggars! ive called mine Dermot the Dermoid and the 3 amigoes, it helps to have a sense of humour too!
    • Posted

Those are brilliant names.  I will have to think what to call mine, if it's still around next week.  Good luck and I hope they get rid of the little blighters before they cause you any more bother.  

Good luck at your gynae appointment, let us know how Dermot and the 3 Amigoes get on.  

All the best,

Cathy

• Posted

Thank you Cathy, Have you tried the Mollasses yet, or apple cider vinegar, both are absolutely disgusting,lol  I have been taking them since i found out i had these cysts, first i took them with just water then when i just couldnt stomach that anymore I mix them both  with my fruit smoothie! also i find that castor oil soaked into a flannel placed on tummy with a heat pad/bottle on top for an hour helps and its meant to help shrink them too, cammomile tea is another one!! Honestly I could major in Ovarian Cysts now, dont think there is anything I dont know about them lol  Take Care xx 
    • Posted

Hi there, i heard ppl taking medicine as well to shrink the cyst but does these work for solid cysts as well or just functional cysts that fluid filled. Drs so far has recommended surgery for me as i have bilateral solid cyst. Trying to find a less invasive method atm.
    • Posted

Hi Sharon I am not sure tbh, but my view on it is it does not hurt to try anything, I will try anything if it might help, also if you are not 100%  sure about surgery ask for a second opinion, it might help, and if the same thing is said then you will know for sure its the best course of action. If I am told I need surgery then I will ask for a second opinion just to be on the safe side, how many cysts do you have do you know?  Good Luck
    • Posted

I have two solid cysts on both ovaries. Its between 5-6cms big. Hv got 2nd opinion who also suggested surgery as one of the cyst is located behind my uterus sad trying to see if its possible to use laparoscopy way now.
    • Posted

Yes laparoscopy is much less invasive hopefully you can go down that route, its a real worry isnt it, even though the likeliehood of ovarian cysts being anything sinister is tiny its still always at the back of your mind  "well what if it is!" best thing to do is stay as positive as you can. When is your surgery planned?
    • Posted

Most probably next mth..up to me to decide when to hv it done once i get a little more assurance on the best route.
    • Posted

In the meantime try the herbal things ive said you never know they could help, razz and discussions like this are the best place to vent any worries, let us know what you decide on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.