Ovarian Cyst info

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi everyone,

I was at the ER a few days ago for a UTI that was not going away, and they did an ultrasound and found a 3.5 cm ovarian cyst. they gave me basically no info on what that means, what type, etc. I went on the patient portal and it said it was a "left adnexal complex probable hemorrhagic cyst". They instructed me to follow up asap with a gyn. I did some internet research and a complex cyst is usually not related to the menstrual cycle, and is less uniform than a simple cyst. A hemorrhagic cyst means it is filled with blood. I am confused as to why they wanted me to follow up so quickly, and not super clear on what kind of cyst it is. oh yeah, i should add that i am 18 years old, so definitely not postmenopausal. should i be concerned?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

its always best to follow up quickly as the cyst could burst and you dont want the fluid inside floating around your abdominal cavity! i wouldnt worry too much tho honey, i work in a histology lab and we get hundreds of these types of cysts - they are usually nothing to worry about but they like to remove them as they can cause pain - much like the uti symptoms you have had

• Posted

yes please be careful with hemorrhagic cysts i would avoid intercourse until its removed that is usually how the cyst bursts. you dont want a medical emergency mostly because you should be able to choose your surgeon carefully and not just go to anyone. mine was 10 cm caused me so much pain and swelling! also mine was a benign tumor (dermoid cyst)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.