Ovarian Cyst on left ovary, 8 weeks pregnant.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello,

On Sunday I experienced some spotting with brown blood so I went to the Early Pregnancy Unit and they discovered that, although the pregnancy was fine (And I'm having twins!), I have a medium sized cyst on my left ovary.

I've had cysts in the past quite regularly but I'm just worried about the impact this will have on my pregnancy as for the past few days I'm getting this dull aching sensation where the cyst is located and I'm still occasionally spotting brown blood when I wipe. 

I live in a little village quite far out from the nearest hospital so my question is, should I be worried? Or is this my cyst just going through it's cycle before it disappears? Is there any danger when it's just a constant dull aching sensation?

I'm afraid of surgery as my pregnancy is still so early on so I'm hesitant to contact my hospital.. so any advice would be really, really appreciated.

Thank you so much!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had two cysts during my last pregnancy one was 10cmx 12cm. As baby grows the uterus will push the cyst away, I noticed mine were shrinking when I went for savants, and they just kept an eye on it. They did discuss the possibility of an op in tri 2 but that was only if there was major problems.

i did read somewhere that cysts in early pregnancy are a good sign as it's how the ovaries react to the hormones which sustain the pregnancy. 

If you are struggling with the pain speak to your gp as you are able to take codeine and paracetamol (obv under the care of your doc) so this may help

good luck with your pregnancy enjoy it cos it goes quickly and try not to worry about the cysts xx

• Posted

Btw apologies for typos I'm sick of autocorrect lol

And I thought I should add I bled at. 13 weeks, which the midwife advised it was either implantation or the cyst.pg went on with no problems and my daughter is now 10 1/2 months x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, this puts my mind at ease. I feel like they didn't really explain much to me in terms of how the cyst interacts with the pregnancy so I'm glad you could clear that up for me.

It doesn't really hurt, it's more of a dull aching sensation so I haven't needed to take anything yet but I will discuss this at my booking appointment next week. 

Thank you again. smile

• Posted

No problem, again sorry for all the typos, but I'm sure u worked out what I ment lol.

if I can help in any way let me know xx

• Posted

Don't worry about typos, it's totally cool. smile 

I'm just wondering if you know the symptoms of a leaking cyst? I have (sorry for the tmi again!) constant discharge that's dark yellowy-brown and it's really worrying me. I just wonder if it's the cyst leaking? Hmm..

• Posted

It could be the cyst but to be honest I think it could just be early pregnancy. You could be having a little implantation bleed and you will develop a bit of extra discharges this trimester. Brown yellow colour, although alarming, isn't usually anything to worry about, it's old blood.ur body will have a slight clear out to help your pregnany and the cervical plug will be forming. You will probably get it again at the end of the pregnany...if u are concerned always go back to you midwife or gp to out your mind at rest. I also found joining a pregnancy forum was helpful because you can go through the trimesters with others and compare signs and symptoms, I'm still in daily contact with several mums who had babies the same month as me smile
    • Posted

Thank you. I did a bit of research, specifically on twin pregnancies, and apparently you experience a lot more discharge when carrying two beans! I guess that could be what's up. I also read somewhere that you get more old blood, too. I just need to relax, lol. I need to have faith in my little twin beans.. and trust that they'll make it.

I haven't really taken part in any pregnancy forums, I might have a go with that! It could be reassuring and nice to chat with other mums/mums-to-be! 

You've been such a star, thank you so much! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.