Ovarian cyst on morbidly obese

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I'm 24 years old and recently found out I have a 17cm cyst on my left ovary. To say that I'm scared is an understatement. I have a lot of anxiety issues so Ive been thinking the worst since I found out I had to have a laparotomy and my left ovary removed. Being overweight makes things a lot more scarier. Surgery wise I'm scared because I've never ever had surgery of any kind or any health issues until I started experiencing severe abdominal pain last week. I guess my question is: have any other women who are also overweight had this operation before? I know it's inevitable and that I have to have the operation I guess I'm just looking for advice and people to connect with that have had the same issues as I have. I think it'll calm my anxiety and nerves. Thank you in advance.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I'm 22 and I have a 24cm cyst on my left ovary! It is pretty scary and i have never had an operarion either, but surgery it necessary! I have been told I won't be able to have key hole surgery because my cyst is too big and they might have to remove my left ovary too. I haven't had my operation yet - i am being processed as urgent but could still take up to 6 weeks.

My mum is over weight and she has had key hole surgery before on a cyst when she was younger. They asked her whilst she was waiting on her operation, to try loose a little bit of weight off her tummy. She said it was painful for a few days but she soon felt normal again and the scars arent even visible now!

Try not to worry and try to be posistive smile It will be over before you know it. I shall make sure i keep you updated with my operation etc. And please update me with your progress! Best of luck xx 

• Posted

Hi! Thank you for replying. I still don't know when I'll be getting surgery my doctor said he was going to set an appointment with a obgyn oncologist but haven't heard anything about it yet, he said cyst/dermoid was benign and he's consulting with oncologist because of their precise way of cutting around stuff. I hope your surgery goes well and please do keep me updated!

Thank you for also telling me about your mom, did she ever get anymore cysts after that? I'm afraid of it coming back on my other ovary and not being able to have kids in the future 😓

• Posted

No problem.  Given the size of your cyst, I imagine you will have sugery within the next couple of months! Fingers crossed smile 

My mum got diagnosed with poly cystic ovaries when she was 16 - she had IVF for thirteen years to have me and my brother! So she had cysts regularly, she was given treatment to help to prevent cysts coming back. My constultant also told me that after my operation, pending whether my left ovary is rmeoved or not, he will discuss treatment with me that can help to prevent follicle and cyst formation on my right ovary. Maybe ask your consultant about this when you go to your appointment as its definitley worth asking! Pleas keep me updated smile 

• Posted

Hello! I'm quite overweight and I had keyhole surgery 10 days ago to remove a 10cm ovarian cyst. It all went well. I ended up spending a night in hospital as my blood pressure was quite low and I couldn't wee (!) But 10 days later I'm up and about doing things and have started driving again. I get tired easily and some places in my tummy still feel sensitive, But I feel amazing considering my surgery was less than 2 weeks ago!

If you need any advice, just drop me a message smile

Rebecca x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.