Ovarian Cyst? Or bowel problems?

Posted , 42 users are following.

Hi,

I'm wondering whether anyone has any advice for me. I am currently experiencing right sided abdominal pain, located around the belly button and below. I can take the edge of it with OTC pain relief but it does not take it away completely. I have had a cyst on my right ovary twice in the past, both times it has resolved itself and not needed treatment.

A few weeks ago I was woken up in the middle of the night by a sharp pain in my abdomen (right side) and felt hot, sweaty and as though I was going to pass out. I walked around for a bit feeling very disorientated and eventually (after 20 mins or so) was able to get back to sleep. The next day I was exhausted and could barely function. I then missed a period - when it was due my stomach became very swollen, felt really heavy and I looked six months pregnant. I went to the doctors because OTC painkillers weren't helping. I mentioned I was slightly constipated to him and he prescribed me laxido without feeling my stomach. I took it as instructed and started going to the toilet about four times a day so figured I didn't need to take it any more and stopped. I then started passing rabbit pellets again and the abdominal pain continued - some days I felt OK, some days I just wanted to curl in a ball and cry. Sometimes I would pass a normal stool and others nothing. I began to feel a pressure feeling in my rectum too like there was something in there. I went back to the docs and he said it sounded like IBS and told me to take IBucspan which I did, made no difference whatsoever. I then got my period and for those few days I felt relatively normal. A few days after my period ended the abdominal pain came back on the right side, it was so bad I got an appointment at the out of hours clinic. The doctor said it sounded like a problem with my bowel and she felt my stomach, was very sore when she pressed on the right side and she said that it could be because of constipation or maybe a cyst. She gave me Colofac. I have been taking those for the last few days and they don't seem to be helping at all. I went back to my doctor and he said he would arrange for me to have a test on my bowel (where they out the camera up there, not a colonoscopy, the other one flexible something?) which I will be having next Tuesday. I have started going to the toilet (normal stools) this week without the aid of laxido - I have been drinking cups of cooled boiled water and it has got everything moving along) but the abdominal pain on the right side remains.

I am petrified about having bowel cancer as my Mum's brother died of it. He was 44 and I am 40. I haven't had any rectal bleeding and my poo does not seem to have blood in it. The feeling of fullness in my rectum seems to have subsided since I have got my bowels moving again. I have quite a lot of gas though.

Obviously I want the test I am having on Tuesday to show nothing serious but if it does I don't know where to go from here? The only thing that makes the pain any better is holding a hot water bottle to my right side. Lying down flat is OK but if I sit up or lie on my side it is really uncomfortable.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what is happening to me? I have three children, my husband works abroad and it is hard to make it through each day (and night) in pain and with so many worries running through my head!

Thank you in advance

2 likes, 103 replies

103 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So interesting to find this discussion. My symptoms are very similar and I'm scheduled for tests on Wednesday next. I have history with troubling cysts and now have more information with which to guide my physician. It's such a scare, not knowing what's going on and having every effort to correct simply not work. I'm 63 and had a hysterectomy when I was 30 but my ovaries were retained. I've been mainly concerned about ovarian cancer because of where the pain exists, the feeling of bloating and the need to further eliminate, the pain on my right side, the "bulbing" of my belly which used to be flat. the sense of urgency to eliminate even after spending the morning in the loo, etc. I appreciate very much reading your experiences and will hope to best for all to have positive outcomes. 
  • Posted

I have exact same thing. I had a colonoscopy 2 months ago and they said everything is great. I went to Gynae in December who also said everything is good but the constant lower right sides pain is constantly there and it really is getting me really down and worried. When I asked for scan he told me there is no need. My Gynae says its scar tissue from my appendix and my gp says its ibs with scar tissue. I also get vaginal discharge which Gynae said is within normal amounts. I'm sick and tired of this and don't know what else to do but I can't imagine my life like this forever. Any suggestions?
    • Posted

I am 63. When I was 16 I had my appendix out but there was nothing wrong with it. Suggestion was a ruptured ovarian cyst that had caused my pain. For most of my adult life I have suffered from constipation and had various drugs prescribed over the years. I have had ops for piles and fissures. A colonoscopy 10years ago showed the starts of diverticular disease. I have also  been told that I have IBS and over the years have become more restricted in the kinds of fibre that I can eat. I was getting pain in right side. Passing urine could be difficult at times. Twice in last 6 months I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis even though the pain was on the right side. Why am I telling you this?  Well recently I decided I had had enough. I asked for tests as worrying about having a bowel movement was taking over my life. I could be in the loo for up to 2 hours. A sigmoidoscopy showed the diverticular disease but nothing else. There was a suggestion that previous surgery may be the cause of my pain. However an ultrasound scan has now detected an ovarian cyst which is 8cm. If you look at many of the posts that are on this forum the signs were there. The GPs and I have been distracted by my history of bowel problems. 
    • Posted

Hi Ella...

I'm with you on this and it is scary as hell and the ongoing pain and worry is enough to drive you loopy.. I know.

I had a laparoscopy over 6 weeks ago to try and find out what was causing me all the right sided loin pain and pressure/bloating in my tummy. The gyne found adhesions (scar tissues)  sticky webs over my right abdominal wall  bowel area and also all over my appendix...

he dealt with them, but all the pain.. pulling and tugging sensations are back. It literall feels like my right side is in a straight jacket !!

I am being investigated further  via gyne scans etc etc.. and all they can find is a right sided ovarian cyst.. I've been having these things crop up every month  mainly on the right side, blood filled cysts.

I am trying to work out what caused it all to start months back, as my pain started with right sided severe loin pain and bladder frequency pressure and fever.  There was obviously some form of infection that affected my right side. I've had 3 hospital admissions with all the pain since January.

My brain is thinking.. adhesions... what caused them??  bowel and appendix area, why??  Nobody can give me an answer. I know adhesions are related to endometriosis and I am having severe problems now with periods/ovulation and cysts.... extreme pain.

I wonder if one of the cysts on the right ruptured and this is why I got the adhesions (scar tissue)  I also wonder if i actually DO have endomentriosis  although gyne said after laparoscopy  that he couldnt see any endo??

I'm not so sure.

My right ovary is enlarged (without the cysts...).....I have some fibroids in the uterus apparently...severe periods now with terrible pelvic burning pain... bladder issues..... and on top of that all the adhesion pain right side loin.

I am determined to get to the crux of it all.  Sending myself loopy trying to work it all out..

Caroline

• Posted

To add Ella... I also have all the bowel pain/bloat/constipation/pressure... bladder pressure...burning feeling.

I'm being referred for another CT scan and also a camera up the bum rolleyes  ugghhh  just to be on safe side...

The worrying thing is, that all of these symptoms unfortunately are linked to Adhesions in the pelvic/abdomen.  They put pressure on the bowel and bladder and they can cause severe pain.

Its getting the actual answers though that count  as to WHY ?!!  what is the route of the cause?  Bowel/ovaries/Endometriosis????

All a mystery and the pieces of the jigsaw are all out there in my case and I just want them all slotting together.

• Posted

At least they are giving u a ct scan! They haven't offered any further screening since the colonoscopy. I will be back to gp after my trip this week as its crazy living like this day after day with this pain. It is stopping me from doing stuff I normally enjoy ?? My periods are bang on time but this one was extremely painful so I don't know if it is my ovary. I do suffer with anxiety and have now put it into my head that I have ovarian cancer. Also have lower back pain just on the right

• Posted

I've had one CT scan already when I was admitted into hospital over easter...  all they could see was a cyst 6cm  blood filled right ovary.... nothing else came up at all...

Demand a CT scan and say you have had enough and its been going on too long !  I have asked my GP for another CT scan as symptoms since the laparoscopy have got worse, with all bloating and pain right side.. so I am worried about what the hell these adhesions are doing to my bowel and god knows what else..?!

I know how you feel. Its scary and its a lonely time because you feel like you are  going mad and constantly fighting for answers.

I also get the lower back pain.. just on the right...!!

• Posted

At least I seem to have found my twin in this. Its so annoying this pain. Real gets me down and I feel like I'm going crazy at times. Was going to gp on Thursday but I got my period so will have to wait as we are going on a short break on Wednesday when my period stops ?? Just hope the pain will be ok in my trip. When I get back will demand more tests. Surgeon had refused to do ct scan saying it can cause more damage cos of radiation. Gynae keeps insisting it's the adhesions but I can't understand how the pain keeps getting worse

• Posted

hey on a brighter note Ella, we do appear to be twins here !! rolleyes

I think you need to get the CT scan, they all say radiation issue, thats just to protect themselves. Its better having the scan than not !

The only place in  the body concern is paramount where adhesions are concerned, is the bowel area.... and I have this , I currently look pregnant. They cause bowel obstruction and severe bloating....

I'm gonna keep going until they sort this.

• Posted

Will def go back to my gp and insist on getting it checked out further. I want this sorted esp with my health anxiety it just pushes me further into depression 😭
    • Posted

Triplets, may I add my daughter to this with obviously functional hemorrhagic luteal cysts. But needs to be checked again and again, if they disappear and come again or stay continuously.
    • Posted

Hi Sanya

One day I shall get to the bottom of it all. Its been 6 months now of sheer hell with 3 hospital admissions. I hope you reach a conclusion with your daughter as well...   Good luck

x

• Posted

Good luck to all of you, too!

Pelvic pain and no obvious and treated 'reason' found is life disabling.

Gastroenterologists are happy with even functional (not abnormal like endometrioma) bigger cysts saying 'that's it, found it, gynecological reason',

then you go to a gynecologist and she dismisses like 'nuh, looks like a hemorrhagic luteal cyst, that's normal, has to be gastrointestinal reason'.rolleyes

yes, please keep us posted.

We are down to pain clinic/pain modulation therapy now, .....

• Posted

Exactly they keep bouncing us to each other. Bowel was perfect according to colonoscopy so I'm guessing it's Gynae but Gynae says adhesions. I just want to know cos even if it is adhesions at least wen the pain comes I don't have to worry. I just want to know there is nothing serious

• Posted

rolleyes  good luck Sanya.

Shall keep you updated and you please do the same.

pelvic pain which is severe and left undiagnosed end up sending you loopy... !! sad

100%

• Posted

I'm hoping I am gonna get closer soon to an actual answer.

All the best to you Ella.  keep us informed.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.