Ovarian Cyst? Or bowel problems?

Posted , 42 users are following.

Hi,

I'm wondering whether anyone has any advice for me. I am currently experiencing right sided abdominal pain, located around the belly button and below. I can take the edge of it with OTC pain relief but it does not take it away completely. I have had a cyst on my right ovary twice in the past, both times it has resolved itself and not needed treatment.

A few weeks ago I was woken up in the middle of the night by a sharp pain in my abdomen (right side) and felt hot, sweaty and as though I was going to pass out. I walked around for a bit feeling very disorientated and eventually (after 20 mins or so) was able to get back to sleep. The next day I was exhausted and could barely function. I then missed a period - when it was due my stomach became very swollen, felt really heavy and I looked six months pregnant. I went to the doctors because OTC painkillers weren't helping. I mentioned I was slightly constipated to him and he prescribed me laxido without feeling my stomach. I took it as instructed and started going to the toilet about four times a day so figured I didn't need to take it any more and stopped. I then started passing rabbit pellets again and the abdominal pain continued - some days I felt OK, some days I just wanted to curl in a ball and cry. Sometimes I would pass a normal stool and others nothing. I began to feel a pressure feeling in my rectum too like there was something in there. I went back to the docs and he said it sounded like IBS and told me to take IBucspan which I did, made no difference whatsoever. I then got my period and for those few days I felt relatively normal. A few days after my period ended the abdominal pain came back on the right side, it was so bad I got an appointment at the out of hours clinic. The doctor said it sounded like a problem with my bowel and she felt my stomach, was very sore when she pressed on the right side and she said that it could be because of constipation or maybe a cyst. She gave me Colofac. I have been taking those for the last few days and they don't seem to be helping at all. I went back to my doctor and he said he would arrange for me to have a test on my bowel (where they out the camera up there, not a colonoscopy, the other one flexible something?) which I will be having next Tuesday. I have started going to the toilet (normal stools) this week without the aid of laxido - I have been drinking cups of cooled boiled water and it has got everything moving along) but the abdominal pain on the right side remains.

I am petrified about having bowel cancer as my Mum's brother died of it. He was 44 and I am 40. I haven't had any rectal bleeding and my poo does not seem to have blood in it. The feeling of fullness in my rectum seems to have subsided since I have got my bowels moving again. I have quite a lot of gas though.

Obviously I want the test I am having on Tuesday to show nothing serious but if it does I don't know where to go from here? The only thing that makes the pain any better is holding a hot water bottle to my right side. Lying down flat is OK but if I sit up or lie on my side it is really uncomfortable.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what is happening to me? I have three children, my husband works abroad and it is hard to make it through each day (and night) in pain and with so many worries running through my head!

Thank you in advance

2 likes, 103 replies

103 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My symptoms are very much the same!

I have a history of large ovarian cysts on my left side.

My pain started very dull, almost unnoticeable and gradually got worse.

I was having pain all over my left side, including my back. At first I was thinking a kidney stone but then I had a hospital visit that included an MRI and that's when they found my cyst.

I'm now experiencing right abdominal pain. Very dull, only occasional. My pain is not located in a certain spot, but usually were my ovary is and my lower back.

I have been having bowel troubles, sometimes not being able to go, and other times having an extreme urgency.

I'm worried about appendicitis, but my symptoms started about 2 weeks ago, and all the articles I've read make it seem as if it wouldn't last that long.

Hope everyone is getting some answers! Hoping I have nothing to worry about!

• Posted

Hi Meagan

Your situation sounds just like mine.

Mine started out January this year, dreadful stabbing right sided flank pain and pain on the right where my ovary / appendix is, that area anyway !

Since then I've had CT scans, ultrasounds, blood tests galore plus the CA125 blood test for ovarian cancer... all tests came back clear, but kept showing up cysts mainly on the right.

Since March when I became very ill I've had 7 hospital admissions with the pain.  In March when I was admitted the pain was all right side and also going into my back, I had a fever, white cell count was elevated then, I also had urine/bladder frequency and pain with it all  and to this day now my bladder still is effected.

They suspected a kidney infection or a bad UTI... but tests for that were negative then when in hospital, but they still treated me for a suspected UTI with IV antibiotic drip.  None of this helped.

I have only had one positive urine UTI test for Ecoli over the last few months. All the other tests and they have done lots, have been negative.

The consultants/doctors kept telling me that 'I'm a mystery'... and the only way to try and work out what was going on was to do a laparoscopy.  So I had this done by a Gyne surgeon in May. All he found was adhesions (Scar tissue) on my right abdominal wall and adhesions covering my appendix.  He looked at the ovaries and uterus and took pics and apparently in his opinion they all looked fine. So he didn't think the cysts and fibroids found were an issue nor were they causing me all the pain.  

My illness came on so suddenly end of January and escalated from there and I felt infected basically and have done really ever since. Very run down, heady and sinus issues, no energy, legs feel like lead weights... its all part of the thing that is going on in my body !!

Anyway, nothing found laparoscopy apart from adhesions covering my appendix and part of the bowel. He said he thought that my appendix has been a problem and implied that he thinks I've had some form of appendicitis before hence all the scar tissue in the area and that he would like to refer me to a colleague with regards to having the appendix taken out..!

So... because your thing sounds so much like mine.. I thought I would tell you my story.

I am now booked in to see a general surgeon mid september with regards to having the appendix removed. he is also going to do another full laparoscopic investigation  mainly concentrating on the right side.. having a good look again.

Since I became poorly early this year  I have never felt the same since. I get stabbing pain low right, sometimes to the right of the belly button and then sometimes lower down around the ovary / poss appendix area. I also get a dull heavy ache feeling, sometimes like a mild burn feeling. I get pain when I need to go to the toilet number twos... and also bladder frequncy/spasms sometimes now... it all appears to be part of it all. My body really isn't happy with something !!

By the way the Gyne last lap said No signs of endometriosis.

I'm also taking microcynon (the pill) running 3 strips together without a break  and then allowing for a bleed.  They are just doing this as a diagnostic thing to see if I get any relief at all.

Sorry its a long story, but you can see my problem... according to the general surgeon, the appendix in some cases can run in chronic form after getting over an appendicitis....  so in cases he has removed many normal looking appendix which have been covered in adhesions and the patient recovers. he says he has seen many cases like this.

I wish you well and hope you get to the bottom of all of it.

Caroline x

• Posted

Hi Caroline, 

Since it just came to mind reading over your story, little update what we will have done (we are in similar boat, just other way round, appendix removed, but not checked for endometriosis in lap and ongoing pain, pain, pain):

MR venogram to look for pelvic congestion. (I might ask if they can take the pics from whole abdomein in case the problem is further up squeezing some blood supply or blood flow back), hence it also needs an MRI angiogram, which is a different protocol for pulsing imaging.

I had no luck getting this referral from GP, but sure can get it from GI since nothing is getting better.

• Posted

Hello Sanya

Well I'm off to the doctors again this morning to get something for the thumping sinus type headache I have. Whilst I'm typing this I am having stabbing down in the right.... And so it goes on !!

As I've said and I'll say it again, I feel like my body is being slowly poisoned, that's the only way I can describe it.

Yes.. The gyne surgeon who did my first lap in May said he couldn't see any signs at all of endo but then said that doesn't mean that there isn't any...hence the reason they have me on microcynon pill as a test.. I'm on my third strip now with no break. I have a week break after 3 strips taken together.

I understand how frustrated and peed off you are. I get it totally because I'm in the same boat... The unknown still almost. I'm terrified of having this second lap next month, removing my appendix... And I discover I'm worse afterwards or the same !!

The only thing that stood out in the lap was the appendix adhesions..and yes this is right sided... And yes I have been informed that a dodgy appendix that may be leaking or is just dodgy, can cause a lot of issues to your health. I literally have no energy to put one foot in front of the other, utterly drained.

I asked for an MRI scan last week which the consultant doesn't believe I need??!!!! I know the MRI is better at looking at soft tissue etc and different to the CT. I even looked to pay privately for one..very expensive.. And the consultant said 'don't waste your money'...... So even when I am prepared to pay myself for it, the idea gets poo pooed on by the docs and consultants ?!!!!!

All I want is an accurate answer. As you do for your daughter.

• Posted

Frustrating, isn't it.

We have to pay every MRI fully privately anyway, if we want it done within weeks, waiting lists are huge (waiting since Feb for a public gastroenterologist eg....forget it, paying 1000s of AUD privately, not even tax refund claimable as if it was for holidays, if only it would help)

But even paying fully out of pocket without involving public health system, one still needs referrals for everything and anything non-invasive or add-ons. I find that extremely frustrating.

Once blood was taken, I asked if C3, C4 or C1EInh or whatever could be tested too in one go since I knew enough serum was left over and I would pay privately for those...nope, doc has to cross it on...who said: nope, strange system in Australia.

If we get a stomach ulcer, at least know why.rolleyes

• Posted

Frustrating doesn't describe it all really.

When this is over (I pray...) I never want anything wrong with me again. It's been awful fighting to get answers and the help..a real eyeopener to me that without your health you are stuffed !! Nobody wants to know.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I've stumbled across this thread through Google while looking for some advice! I had my appendix out in July 2014 and since then have had nothing but issues! I was in hospital 8 times in a year (including while I was in for appendectomy).

While in hospital I've had MRI, scopes and scans done and they've pretty much always come back ok, nothing major anyway-think one of my first scans picked up a few small cysts on my ovary and my bloods always show elevated inflammatory markers and I always tend to be borderline anaemic.

My main symptoms since surgery have been;

- severe pain in my lower right abdominal area

- IBS which at one stage had me housebound as I was in so much pain and because my bowel was so impacted I was only managing to pass watery stools (think 27 movements in one day when things were at it worst)

- my pelvic floor muscles were shot (have no children so was quite surprised as had never been an issue before surgery)

- severe intolerance to a range of foods that had never been particularly troublesome before surgery

I have managed to get bowel issues pretty much under control through following low FODMAP diet and use of laxatives when needed. However, the pain is always there, it's just calmed down enough for me to cope with most of the time. I think I've got so used to being in pain I don't actually know what it's like not to be in pain anymore 😩

I've recently been re-scanned due to heavy menstral bleeding, spotting and abdo pain which found a small 2.5 cyst on my right ovary (they couldn't see the left one when they scanned me!) and I'm waiting to see gynaecology.

Around 10 days ago I started experiencing severe lower right abdominal pain (way worse than its been in at least a year) which took me to see my GP last Monday, then out of ours GP through the night on Monday evening, and then again on Tuesday afternoon.

Due to all the gastro issues following my original surgery they have just put it down to an IBS flare up. The GP gave me IBS meds to help with cramping (which I was already taking, but he just didn't seem to hear it when I said there was no point in giving me more of the same thing!) I feel like my insides are tearing apart and that someone is stabbing me with a hot poker when the pain is at it's worst, and it's bloody agony. I don't know what to do anymore as each time I go to GP they just assume it's my IBS flaring up (I really don't feel like that's the case). Since my bowel struggles to move on an average day, taking pain relief isn't normally an option, however I've had to give in and take something (which can't possibly be a long term solution for someone in my position).

I'm 29, in generally good health, apart from allergies, IBS and one bout of what Drs think may have been optic neuritis at the start of the year.

I suppose I can relate to some of the issues you guys have spoken about and hoped someone can help. Think I'm just feeling pretty needy tonight and struggling with the pain-any advice would be very much appreciated 🙏🏻

• Posted

I wrote on this thread some time ago. I have a 8-9 cm cyst but a still awaiting hospital appointment due to administative error! I also have been diagnosed with IBS but it does not sound as severe as yours. In the last few years I have reacted to foods I have eaten all my life eg melon now gives me terrible pains and upset tum. I eat very little of  the 'five a day'  and rely on a cup of hot water first thing in the morning followed by a combination of yoghurt and pear and banana. A few years ago my colorectal surgeon suggested taking VSL3 for IBS. It is expensive but made a huge difference. It is a sachet full of friendly bacteria in very high quantities.  I started with one sachet per day for a month and then cut down to a third of a sachet - upping it again when uncomfortable. This really helped and I took it for about two years.  I still keep a box in the fridge just in case.  VSL3 can be ordered online. The company who make it send it in a temperature controlled box on the day of your choice but you have to be there to accept delivery. 

• Posted

Hi everyone. I must say that although we are all going through a frustrating time, it is reassuring to know that we are not alone in our symptoms and misdiagnoses. I have been dealing with this for close to 2 years now. It started as dull pelvic ache around my ovaries and at times would spread to my lower back and hips. My doctor did a pelvic ultrasound and found a very tiny cyst on my ovary which doctors did not think was causing the pain. I then got bloodwork and a CT scan, neither of which showed anything other than a small amount of blood in the urine and the same small cyst. The pain subsided for a few months but came back this winter even worse. I had an MRI, CT and repeat ultrasound. This time the ovarian cysts were gone and I had a very small cyst on my kidney, which the doctor did not think was causing the pain. During this time the pain worsened and I also became very bloated. My stomach was distended and I looked 4 months pregnant. My GYN and GP both suggested endometriosis as the culprit and put me on birth control. I am 36 years old and had 2 children without issue. I hardly meet the criteria for endometriosis but the pill did seem to help so I went with it....

Flash forward 6 months... All of my pelvic pain is back... I am constipated and gassy and cannot pass stool or gas without help from a laxative. I also feel abdominal pain on the right side and near my belly button in addition to the pelvic and back pain. I saw a GI doctor who is performing a colonoscopy on Thursday. I cannot imagine what this could be since bloodwork is normal, and CT and ultrasounds are normal as well. I literally feel like something huge is sitting in my abdomen pressing on all of my organs and pelvis causing this pain. I also find myself waking up in the middle of the night to pee like I did during pregnancy when something was sitting on my bladder! It is beyond frustrating that no one can seem to give me an answer. I will update after the colonoscopy. I was just wondering if anyone had luck getting a concrete diagnoses yet?

• Posted

I Ann so happy I found this thread. I've been freaking myself out for months about this. Our stories are identical! I hope you ar doing better! Any updates?

I feel like this is ruining my life

• Posted

Hi Guys,

I was admitted to hospital in August following a period of having prodding apins in my lower right side, which then subsided and then came back a few weeks later as a dull ache alternating with a sharp stabbing pain. At the time of being admitted to hospital they thought I had appendicitus, I didnt. Ive had a full abdominal ultrasound and an internal one which show no cysts, the only thing it did bring up was a small amount of fluid from the ruptured follicle which they thought could cause me pain. So far Ive been thought to have endometriosis- which they now dont think I have as my periods are so regular, Crohns- which I dont, Diverticultius- which I dont. Im now being tested for celiacs disease as this can cause bloating, lower right sided pain and some of the bowel issues I had accompaying the pain. Its been really frustrating not knowing whats wrong and being in constant pain. I hope we all get some answers soon x

• Posted

Hi I have a cyst of 4.5cm on right ovary

causing all sorts of pressure and bowel issues

they are sending me for a colonscopy so may get some answers

only had theses bowel issues since cyst

• Posted

Hi Kirsten

Have you had a laparoscopy yet?

I'm the same as you, mine has been going on since January this year. Had 7 hospital admissions since March. Right sided pain low down and also side loin pain, going into my back also, with bladder pain/pressure. Cysts cropping up 5cm mainly on the right, all found on scans. Cysts kept coming and going.

They did a laparoscopy in May and discovered adhesions (scar tissue) covering my appendix and also some of my right side abdom wall.  Ovaries looked fine as did the rest of my pelvis. No sign of endo. No sign of nothing... apart from adhesions and a query over the appendix??

The Gyne surgeon who did the Lap then wanted to refer me with regards to having the appendix removed.  Why I asked??  Because it was covered in scar tissue which in his opinion donates a problem with the appendix..infection/possible appendicitis.

So, end of this week I am back in for another Lap by a general surgeon.. to have the appendix removed.

This may sort me out ?!! who knows ?!!!

I honestly thought my issue was cysts because they kept finding them on the scans. I had a CT scan  x 2.... ultrasound x 2.... internal ultrasound x 2... and more recently an MRI scan, which then showed no cysts at all which could be down to the fact that I am now on Microcynon  the pill  which suppresses the ovaries so I'm told, so therefore stops fingers crossed cysts forming !

So yes.. I thought possibly the cysts were causing me the pain.  But now I'm not so sure, after they found the appendix covered in adhesions.  All my pain was right sided, stabbing... I was very unwell with severe bloating initially in January and then I was first admitted to hospital march this year.  The surgeon believes it could be a case of appendicitis / chronic appendicitis... and he will know once it is removed if it is an issue.  I now believe it could be the root of all my problems.

Another thing... my appendix never showed up on any scan, they couldnt see it.  Just because they can't see it, doesn't mean you do not have an inflammed/problematic appendix.

I was also tested for celiac and its negative.

Just wanted to tell you my story and it may be an appendix issue with you.  It does not need to show up on tests to prove to be  an issue.

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

Thats really helpful- Im waiting for a lararoscopy at the moment to have a look.My appendix didnt show up on the scan however the pain is literally on that area- mine also started with bloating - I thought it was my diet- Id just bought a smoothie maker!

• Posted

Ok good. Get the lap done. 

Yes mine all started with bloating and right sided pain, I also had a fever, was off my food and bladder irritation. This is all linked to appendix issues.

Not everybody has the same symptoms set in stone.

But when you said about the pain in that area, it just struck a chord with  me.

If I'd had a general surgeon doing the Lap back in May instead of the gyne surgeon, then the thing would have been removed by now !!

My current surgeon told me that when he comes across an appendix with lots of scar tissue, he will ALWAYS remove the appendix.. because it is a sign that the appendix has been flaring and the scar tissue builds as it trys to heal itself.

I believe now that when I became ill in January it was all starting then and flaring up and got worse, the adhesions formed and then come March I was even worse and had to go into hospital.

They suspected a kidney infection... I did not have  that.

• Posted

so glad to have chatted with you - Its a gyne lap booked for fertility investigations - I might request that a general surgeon has a peek as well x
    • Posted

yes do. It was unfortunate for me that at the time my Gyne surgeon didn't have a general surgeon around to have a look at the appendix..!

If they do not have a general surg about then  make sure the Gyne guy aware that you want appendix area looking at, they will look there anyway but just bring it up..

• Posted

Hello Tina

Wondered how you are now and if you could tell me more about your pressure issues you had with your cyst, as I have had my right ovary taken out due to a large cyst on it years ago and now booked in for a cyst tonne removed from my left ovary next week, I have had pressure in Rectum and feel full for over 6 months doctors don't see to know why but now I have seen people's post saying then had pressure issues and I am hoping that maybe this could be due to my cyst, hopefully because it's driving me mad nothing I do or eat helps with the pressure thanks

• Posted

The only way to confirm endometriosis is to do laparoscopic surgery upon discovery. I had regular menstral but still had endo stage 4

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.