Ovarian cyst removal

Posted , 12 users are following.

Last week, an ultrasound scan revealed a 10cm cyst on my left ovary. I've been referred to gynaecology, I'm just waiting for my appointment to come through. I have been told, though, that I will need surgery to remove it. I have a few questions:

Has anyone been through this before who could tell me what happened?

What type of surgery do you think I'll have? Laparoscopy or laparotomy?

How long did people have off work for either of these operations?

How long did you have to wait for a surgery date following your first gynae appt?

Do you think I'll lose my left ovary, too? I'm only 24 so worried about how it'll affect my fertility.

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Rebecca

4 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI Rebecca,

I am just 4 days on from having my right ovary and 12cm cyst removed via labarotomy, I cannot begin to explain the great relief this procedure has given me or how pain free the recovery is starting out. I have two smallish bikini line incisions with a small one also beneath belly button, staples to be removed in 10 days.

I am 55, thankfully healthy in every other way and whilst prescribed pain relief have not required them with paracetamol more than adequate. As I had a previous large cyst drained in December, I have been accommodating two very large cysts for over 9 months now and can say without a shadow of a doubt the surgery and relief is so worth it.

Best of luck with your surgery ahead.

• Posted

I was Diagnosed with a 11cm ovarian cyst about a month ago I had previously been Dignosed with two back in 2008 when I was 31 and reference to a Obgyn only to find out a week before my surgery consoltation I was possibly pregnant they did blood work and had to switch from ovarian surgery prep to pregnancy prep as blood work came back positive. He said I likely pass them during the pregnancy.

Ff 9 years later I now have a 11cm on my left overy he did not say much about the surgery except due to previous surgeries from my childhood that have left my stomach extremely scared he will not preform the surgery someone else will. And he asked if I planned on having anymore children. I love to more than anything else in this world but I will be 41 this Saturday. So think that window is closing for me. I'm nervous due to size he said laparoscopic surgery would be used. I have to walk kids to and from school twice a day how long is recovery usually? I know walking around will be painful for a while I'm praying that They won't have to take the overy I feeling like I been handed a death sentence as children are my life and would like to have a son.

After reading all the comments I feel slightly reassuring although still nervous about the recovery time and surgery good luck with your recovery . I don't feel so alone now.

• Posted

Hi Marianne,

I am now 17 days on from having my right ovary and 11cm cyst removed, and feel so much better for it, as cyst had recurred from previous one I had drained in December.  I had a laparotomy, due to cyst size, an had about 8cm bikini line incision, with belly button keyhole insert also.  Apart from the normal tenderness and a little discomfort, which you would expect, I experienced no pain whatsoever.

i had 14 clips in, all now removed, so no stooping, lifting or driving for last few weeks, will see what next week brings. At 55, this was my first experience of any surgery and so did feel little more fatigued and so just rested let my body heal, with short gentle walks now, get fresh air in my lungs again. 

Future fertility was was not an issue for me, but having only one ovary removed means I am more gently progressing into menopause, with some night flushes. Overall my experience has been a very positive one, resulting in getting my body back to normal after nursing two large cysts over a nine month period, one after the other.

i hope your surgery, whatever is decided goes as well for you. One thing I did find great was a little plastic kiddie step up, which I used for in and out of the car, when I had to for the first week or so. I did have a catheter and surgical drain in for 24 hours ( both pain free) and was discharged on the third day, was sent home with strong pain meda, which I never took as just few paracetamol was more than adequate.

i did have a little vaginal bleeding, nothing excessive and now 17 days on I get an occasional cramp as my body parts shift back in to position, as we do not realise how much our cysts have moved things around in there until they are removed.

Good LucK with all

Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.