Ovarian Cyst Removal by laparotomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been in horrendous pain the last week and have been to the OB, the ER twice and the PCP. I got a ultrasound and it was determined I had a 4.9cm cyst on my left ovary, Tuesday no results at the time so I went to the ER and was diagnosed with a UTI, still in pain. Different pain hit Wednesday night and I wound up at the PCp for suspected appendicitis who then sent me to the ER. That doctor said no UTI and no appendicitis as the scan came back negative, but instead it could be the cyst. Now I'm on some strong pain meds and hallucinating and have confusion. I'm seeing the OB on tuesday for official results and what they may do about the cyst.

My question is, I want the thing removed asap, I've had it since October of last year. Do you think my OB will allow me to have surgery to take it out since I'm in pain with it?

I'm tired of being in pain and just want it removed.

I'm overweight though and my mom is too, she had to have a c section to have a hysterectomy a few years back. She thinks they might have to do the same for me as it's in my ovary and I'm so overweight.

What do you all think? Any advice and what to expect would be great. Thanks.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

For a cyst that size it should be able to be removed laproscopically.  If you have pain it should be removed asap, it may be twisted or burst.
    • Posted

Thank you! I hope it to be laproscopy instead of having to be cut open any larger. I shall see Tuesday I guess. The pain is unbearable without the pills.
    • Posted

It went okay, she said that it wasn't the cyst causing the pain but that UTI the emergency room doctor said I didn't have the second visit. So antibiotics and pain pills have helped. They will rescan the cyst in April to see if it's still there or gone and if it's causing pain then they'll take it out. Thank you for asking!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.