ovarian cyst removal? hysterectomy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

am in a bit of a bind. 50 yrs old, feeling increasingly crappy, have 8 & 5" + fluid filled cysts on right ovary as well as a hyperplastic uterus (thickness 18), recently had numerous small fibroids removed, biopsy cancer free. gyn installed mirena coil to deal with periods fun and thin lining out, bleeds have tailed off but all the drama resulted in now serious anaemia (have almost always been low).

gyn suggested removal of ovaries. i favour removing one affected - makes sense - hoping to avoid hysterectomy. at a loss and dont know what to do. i'm 25 lb heavier in less than a year as anaemia has knocked off my hashis/ thyroid med uptake - can barely get out of bed and want to feel alive but FIRST DO NO HARM an important consideration.  anyone in similar situ? what did you do?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello! I'm 53 3 days post op had both my ovaries removed and tubes on Thursday due to very large simple cyst on left ovary, like you had put on weight thought I was just getting fat due to menopause. My cyst was discovered last September warped I think it twisted I'd been having it monitored up untill beginning of may but it did not resolve in fact it had got bigger was 12 cm after surgeon had removed it he said was as big as a football! I had both ovaries removed as am in menopause so don't need them anymore and do not have to worry about getting anymore cysts! I'm only 3 days post op but I think my belly getting smaller already I was very bloated! 😊

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Hope all is well with you.  How are you feeling after 3 days.

I'm doing good.  Did yard work for the first time time year and guess what.  For the first time in 10 years when I went down to pull weeds (ugh) I did not feel any pressure on my right side. Tuesday will be week 5 post op.

• Posted

Hello Kelly, I'm doing really well Thankyou! Had hardly any pain did a few bits around the house today but do feel tired all the time and keep having little naps, had no shoulder pain from gas in belly but my tummy does feel hard and have not had a bowel movement yet! When surgeon came to see me after cyst removed he say it was as big as a football!😩 So hopefully now it's been removed I will not feel so bloated all the time and maybe lose some weight! I'm glad your doing well , only part of all of this I hated was going down for the anesthtic as I had never had it before but it was ok and would do it again! 

• Posted

Oh coming round from anesthetic was not much fun! 😩

• Posted

If you have both ovaries removed no more cysts to worry about!😊

• Posted

yes, was thinking that would be an upside  (:  then read about all the horrible side effects some people experience going 100% overnight.  due to extreme stress i have been estrogen dominent for a long time  (skipped over by numerous doctors as if of zero consequence), have ptsd high cortisol etc so drama is a possibility for me??? peri meno has been fairly straight forward thus far and i hate to push my luck - i've had enough already

wont miss the 3 dress sizes i went up this year (am at cusp of 4). or the sense of having some mutant sitting inside my abdomen - just pulling out the one will make a big diff

• Posted

I'm in my menopause so should not feel much difference not on any HRT I only suffer from a few hot flushes x

• Posted

op went ok not as bad as I thought it be only had what feels like slight period pains x no shoulder pain from where feel tummy with gas x just feel tired x
  • Posted

I went up 2 dress sizes I think was cyst let's see if I now lose it 

• Posted

Hi Peachykeen,

I'm 5 weeks post op of having both tubes and right ovary with a 14.5 cm cyst removed.  My doctor really wanted to do a hysterectomy, but I said no and I really didn't have anyother problems.  I think doctors here in the USA try to push for them and we do too of them some are not necessary.  However, my doctor was happy to tell me when I was in recovery that he took out my other tube. So okay, I guess I'm okay with that as it has been stated that ovarian cancer can start in the tubes.  Good part is I don't have to worry about getting another cyst on my right side like Sarah stated.

Long story is trust youself and read all you can before making the decision to have surgery and which surgery is right for you. 

I wish I had known about this forum a few years ago, it has helped me out.

• Posted

4 months ago i had a 19mm uterus, 7.5 & 5.5 cysts, was anaemic and bleeding out of control. gyn shoved a mirena into me and voila, 4 months hence: ute is 4mm, cysts 5.5 & 2.5, bleeding gone and iron levels inching up. am tired, gained weight (close to 20 lb) thus when the left ovary comes out so does coil ... meantime its a good result, bye bye major surgery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.