Ovarian cysts

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have a very complex medical history I have 2 large ovarian cysts and no one will even discuss this or operate because I'm high risk. I've had them for at least 4 years and they are growing larger. One is protruding into my bladder stopping me from emptying could it damage it? The urologist wants me to have a permanent catheter because of the position I am no longer able to self cathertorise. Does anyone know what will happen to them? I'm 49 now are they hormonal? will they disappear when I go through the change or are they going to to just keep growing? I guess I'm just scared because I've had so much emergency surgery I shouldn't be still here if I'm honest I don't think I could take another emergency surgery and I don't want to get to that stage again. I would of thought planned surgery was the safer option.

Sorry for all the questions I'm just at my wits end and don't know what to do any more any advice or information would be appreciated

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not to be nosey but why are u at high risk do u know the size of the cysts cauae i had one on my right side but it had disappeared and the one that was on my left side kept enlarging so they took it out along with my ovary and tube and i am 47 i am so sorry for all the surgery that u had done
    • Posted

I'm not really sure why they say I'm high risk I dont think so lol I have had a lot of unplanned and planned surgery over the years resulting in now only having 50cm of of bowel left and TPN dependant. I've had sepsis twice in 06 then again in 13. A wound which cant heal since 13 which is infected. My problem with the catheter is the fact I can't drink enough to keep it running which causes a lot of sediment blocking off all the time causing cronic bladder spasms and bypassing plus when I go to bed that's when I'm connected to my feed which means I produce more urine the cysts stops the catheter working I guess its positional. I had almost 12 months with a urethral catheter which they say you can't have long term but now want me to have with no end of trouble but I really can't get the self catheters in even a nurse and the dr tried which is why they sent me for another cystosopy. I personally don't have a problem with only being able to pee once twice a day max, I spend enough time in the bathroom with a high output stoma

• Posted

Is there a way to get a second opinion from another doctor? I just got out of the hospital they had to cut open my whole abdomen to remove a 37x32x22 cm cyst from one ovary and 2 smaller cyst from the left ovary.  The larger one ended up weighing 33 lbs. Anyway, I had complications with my bowels due to the size of the cut they needed to make to remove the cyst. Anyway, if I had known about mine I would of much rather them being to take it out with a laser or smaller incision, especially since mine obviously wasn't going to stop growing. I'd think they'd rather have a small surgery with a high risk person as opposed to a large open surgery like mine had to be.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I'm sorry you had problems and I hope you are recovering well now.

That's what I think and I'm trying to get another opinion it's just not easy getting any dr to listen they just seam to cut me dead when I try to speak. Now I think about it it was before my last major surgery that the dr said I was to high risk but when they performed the last bowel op the surgeon got rid of two large cysts so these are new ones so I guess I'm prone to them. It was at a private ultrasound and mri scan my son arranged for me to try and find out if there was any mesh still inside me that could cause any more damage that the cysts were discovered. I asked the gp to refer me about them so it was a different dr who then arranged another ultrasound to see if there was any change but refused to give me a follow up so I'm not sure if that is a second opinion or not. I am going to the Drs next week for some answers but I'm feeling it's probably time to just give up.

• Posted

Definitely don't give up. I know some doctors can be pretty dense though, I hope you find someone to listen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.