Ovarian Cysts

Posted , 3 users are following.

What happens when a large cyst forms on an ovary? To be more precise, what exactly about the cyst's presence on the ovary necessitates removal of the ovary? I had a volleyball-sized cyst removed 2.5 years ago as well as the ovary from which it was attached. I'm afraid (paranoid, really) that I may be developing another cyst and desperately hope I'm not. I want very badly to have kids one day, and I don't want to take hormonal supplements. I plan to call my doctor in the morning and schedule an appointment to sort this out as quickly as possible.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

If you have a large cyst it can rupture and the contents can spill into your pelvic cavity causing problems. Also a large cyst can twist the ovary and cut off blood supply, this is a medical emergency as it can cause the ovary tissue to die which can make you very ill. That is why they remove large cysts and when the cyst is large removal of the ovary is sometimes needed depending how deeply the cyst is attached and whether it removes cleanly.

what type of cyst did you have before? i had an 10-11 cm chocolate cysts (endometrioma) caused by endometriosis removed a couple of years ago and unfortunately i have more on the other ovary now.

i have had a child and dont want anymore but if you have endo and you do want a child going on a birth control that stops you ovulating each month can slow down the rate of the cyst growth. and endo growth. Also i have been offered a drug called Zoladex which puts you into a chemical menopause, you do a few rounds of this which without hormones fuelling the endo it shrinks. (So i have been told anyway).

I think you should see your dr and tell them that you want a child in the future and see what options are available to you to enable that. if your new cyst is small removal now could mean the chances of your ovary being removed will be very slim.

Good luck and try not to worry, the sooner its dealt with the better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.