Ovarian Cysts, Constant Pain 6 Months

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I just created an account to make this post because I am so frustrated and confused on what to do.

I have been having sharp stabbing pelvic pain since August. An ultrasound in August showed a small cyst on my left ovary, but I was told that it was "resolving" and my pain should be fading. This was not the case- my pain continued on. I take over the counter medications and use a heating pad CONSTANTLY (I carry it in my purse). I waited for the pain to go away but it didn't. I had my IUD removed and the implant put into my arm instead. I had a CT scan and bloodwork that are all normal. I had another ultrasound in January that showed no cysts. Over and over my doctor told me that everything seemed fine and told that the pain was probably caused by stress. I was starting to feel crazy cry

In January I tried a new doctor who believes that I suffer from ovarian cysts each month. He put me on birth control pills to suppress my ovulation and wants me to wait 3 months. About 2 weeks later, my pain became so severe that I went to the emergency room. At the hospital, normal bloodwork but the ultrasound showed a new cyst on my left ovary. The doctor gave me antibiotics to try and sent me home.

My GYN doctor wants me to continue to wait 2 more months taking the birth control. However, I don't understand how I have had constant pain for 6 months if at times I have no ovarian cysts. I am worried that I have endometriosis or perhaps internal bleeding or scarring from cysts. I am considering having a diagnostic laporoscopy done but I am not sure if it is worth the procedure/costs. I work full time and am a full time student so I am having a hard time keeping up with these things when I am constantly in pain and exhausted.

Any advice, or similar experiences?

My symptoms are: Sharp pelvic pain, radiating pain in my lower back, hip bone, legs. Extremely painful intercourse. Migraines. Nausea. Weight loss (15+ lbs in the last year) and trouble sleeping.

I'm sorry this post is so long! Thank you in advance for any responses.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mandy, I'm so sorry you're going through this and I feel your pain. Literally. I have similar symptoms, with the pelvic pain consistently (not just on my period), lower back pain, hips and let pain that goes to my knees, insomnia, and deep pain when having sex. Quick question: when you went to the ER, what were you experiencing? My trips to the ER have been because of a flare-up consisting of constipation, severe abdominal pain, dizziness, numbing of the arms, sweats, and vomiting. This happens every now and then and when I go, all tests come back fine. But this time they did see a small cyst on my left ovary.

I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I'm getting a laparoscopy done next month. I'd say it would be worth it for you to have one done because you won't know if it's endometriosis without it.

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you for your reply and wow it is such a relief to hear that someone is experiencing the same thing as me (although I am sorry that you're going through this!) The common question I get is "how does your cycle affect the pain?" However my birth control methods have caused me to not have a period in 2+ years so I never know how my cycle affects the pain. However, like you said the pain is consistent so seemingly unrelated to a period.

My GYN had told me that if the pain increases suddenly, to go to the ER. So when I went it was because the pain had increased to a 9/10 and I was concerned. I haven't had numbing of the arms or actually thrown up yet like you have.

That's great that you will be able to have the laparoscopy done. I really hope that you get some answers! I think I might go ahead and schedule one as well. I'm scared of getting another test that comes back finding nothing but I also want to trust my body because something is wrong.

• Posted

Definitely trust your body. You know it better than anyone and if something is wrong, something is wrong. I really do hope you get that procedure done, it's the only way to officially diagnose and things will be a little less scary once you know for sure what's going on smile

The numbing of my arms and vomiting didn't actually happen until July of 2017, but I'd been having flare ups for the last five years just thinking I had them because of bad food or something. My issues of progressively becoming worse, so I hope you get things taken care of before you have any more ER trips! I actually JUST had a small flare-up an hour ago, a few hours after I started randomly bleeding. I'm a week out from my period, but am bleeding like I'm starting again. It's been hard, as I'm sure it is for you, but I promise getting the laparoscopy will help you!

• Posted

Hi Phiyen,

Yes I think it will be less scary to at least have an answer!

I hope that your laparoscopy goes well and that you can also receive a diagnosis.

My worst fear is that I will do the procedure and they won't find anything

• Posted

We don't all get the same symptoms so you may or may not experience what Phiyen does. I never had numbness, but I had so many other of Phiyen's symptoms.

Start a calendar of symptoms. Patterns may emerge of things happening always in the 2d week of the month or something. I'd be surprised if at least some things aren't cyclical. 25 years after a total hysterectomy, my migraines were on a monthly cycle! Never had them when I was young with endo, a shock to my neurologist.

Get the laparoscopy if they'll do it, otherwise you're forever wondering. If they don't find endo, there may be other causes.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your response. That does make sense that there could be some correlation to my cycle.

I also wonder if there is any significance to the three cysts I've had (that I know of) always being on my left ovary.

My worst fear with the laparoscopy is that they will find nothing and I will have wasted everyone's time. But there must be some reason for the constant pain so I would rather rule things out than wait and have it be something serious that was ignored.

• Posted

Mandy, when you've already had cysts you could not possibly be wasting anyone's time with a lap. If they find nothing, then they know you don't have endo & they can figure out what to do next.

• Posted

Hi Mandy,  did you ever find out what was causing your pain?  Did you ever get that laparoscopy?  I’m having the exact same symptoms you are!  My pain has been there over a year.... I’ve been to my gyno, cause I thought it was an ovarian cyst, then my regular gp who told me he thinks I might have IBS-C, then to a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy, then to the ER for a CT scan.....nothing showed up on that scan other than an ovarian cyst on my right ovary (my pain was and continuous to be on the left).  My gyno did feel and saw some small fibroids but nothing major.   I finally gave up!  But I still have the pain, some days are worse than others, it doesn’t affect my appetite.... I also have lost 11 lbs probably from all the stress.   Then to top it all off, I found a small lump in my left breast in March, and it turned out to be very early stage breast cancer!    I am now recovering from surgery and have to do radiation for four weeks... then I have to take a drug called tamoxifen to prevent the breast cancer from returning..... more to stress about.  Sorry for this to be so long, I am so sick of being worried about this pain....,.  Let me know how you are doing!   Thanks for listening 
    • Posted

First, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis :[ Good thing you spotted it early!

The rest of your story sounds similar to mine! I have been having on and off bloating, although now more constant, uterine pain/tenderness, back pain (unrelated to the pain from heavy lifting) mainly where my hips meet my back, I also limp at times because my (usually left) leg suddenly can't support my weight, severe pain during sex in vagina as well as uterus/abdomen, my periods have never really been bad but they're grown increasingly painful over the years. It's really wearing on me and at times I feel like a baby because the pain isn't always severe, but definitely always there in one way or another. Gyno did a bunch of tests that showed nothing (small ovarian cyst while pregnant years ago no issues) aside from a small prolapse. Went to gp who tested me for celiacs (neg) then said it's likely IBS-M, had abdominal and pelvic ultrasounds (including transvaginal). Stool sample was also negative for anything. That was back in October. I went to urgent care yesterday due to pain/bloating they ordered a urine and blood analysis which didn't reveal anything. It's suggested I do physical therapy for my prolapse and that I may have a food allergy. I struggle with depression (as well as other mental illnesses) and this constant/random pain is making my recovery even more difficult. I've lost weight as well, but I have been accused of having an eating disorder because I'm so thin, which is NOT an issue of mine. I love food!! But all these symptoms definitely makes it hard to eat and I've had a change in appetite and sex drive not due to depression. I feel like giving up as well, but I need answers..

• Posted

They've done everything to you to avoid doing what's necessary, i.e., a laparoscopy. They love to point their fingers at celiac & IBS, but even if you have both of those, you can still have endo & it won't show on any of those tests.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

Yes I did find answers! I had a laparoscopy done end of March and they found endometriosis.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I really encourage the laparoscopy if you can afford it. The months of worrying and not having answers are the worst. If anything, the laparoscopy can rule out endometriosis.

Since my surgery, they removed the endo and have me on birth control pills to 1) stop me from ovulating and preventing future ovarian cysts 2) help prevent new endo from forming. Since my march 21 surgery, I am feeling great! I am fully recovered and no more pain, nausea, etc. I am so happy. When I came out of surgery and the nurse told me it was endo I started crying! Because I was so relieved that I trusted myself and not the doctors because otherwise I would have  suffered longer.

Please let me know any other questions you may have and I am sorry for being so late to respond to your post I just saw it today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.