Ovarian cysts found during kidney ultrasound. What happens next?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been for an ultrasound today to check my kidney stones, which haven't grown since last year and neither has the small cyst I have.  All good.  However, the sonographer then told me she could see two small cysts on my ovaries.  I don't have any symptoms.  This has never been mentioned before, although I have an ultrasound for my kidneys annually.  She then did a trans-vaginal ultrasound, to confirm, and will be putting it all before the doctor.  

I'm 72 and, although she said not to worry and they were very tiny, being me, I am a little concerned.   I'll be seeing my urologist in two weeks for the kidney stone report, but, naturally, he won't be interested in the ovarian cysts.  Do I ask to see a gynaecologist, if it's not suggested?  Or talk to my GP?  As they've been found by chance, I'm wondering what will happen next.  Any advice would be gratefully received.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am 47 years old and had the same thing as far as the cysts on the ovary they were small on both of them and the one on the right ovary had disappeared but the one on my left was enlarging so they had removed it i was suffering from it for about a year i am not tring to scare u but the best person to talk to about it is your gyn what they might do is keep an eye on it but if they said it is small it might disappear like mine did i am going through premenopausal i think that is why i had them i wish u the best of luck
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, Tracy.  I'm hoping to see my GP tomorrow, so will discuss it all with her.  All I really want is to have them monitored, so will see if I can see a gynaecologist.  Of course, it may be the case that the doctor at the hospital will refer me to the gynaecology department anyway.  Pleased that one of yours disappeared and the other one was dealt with.  Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.