Ovarian cysts pain ? how long to wait for scan in the uk

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi .. I'm getting myself so upset by right sided ovary pain. It been going on a month now with pain in varying degrees every day. I waiting for a transvaginal scan on the nhs. Does anyone know how long the waiting times is usually for one of these scans.

When I saw the doctor I'd only been having pain for a couple of days and it was subsiding. Little did I know how persistant and nagging this pain would get.

I don't know whether to go back to the doctors and state that the pain is on-going and driving me nut or to grit my teeth and wait.

I haven't really had a normal life for a month because of it. And people are saying I do look facially wiped out.

Is it normal for the pain to just go on day after day? I had alot of dark spotting last month which is abnormal for me. That's gone now.

I'd be really very grateful for any replies. Thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I would not grit your teeth and bear it, get back to the doctors and push for the scan asap, and something to take away this pain. My daughter is 23 and had the scan yesterday, the 2nd one in 6 months and she has ovarian cysts, waiting to see the gp next week for further investigation.

Take Care

• Posted

Thank for reply Brennie,

I decided to book an appointment to see my GP today. I've even got to wait a week and half for that ! I decided it was best to make sure that the GP knows that it is paining me in varying degrees every single day.

I've been reading around the subject and it's shocking how many women are in pain and just putting up with it. And to be honest I'm still waiting to be diagnosed which of course is a worry because the risks do seen to increase with age. I'm 45 years old.

Anyway,.. a big thanks for your reply.

Still does anyone know the general time frame for trans-vaginal scan referral?

• Posted

I have three of them and the waiting time varies between three weeks and two months, I hope you get your answer soon
  • Posted

Thanks for the reply emma-jane. I've been trying to google that answer everywhere !

I don't think I'd cope waiting two months just wait for a diagnosos. I already feel like I'm on accasion cracking up with worry!

I'm on a low income, but if f I find it's months before my scan - I'll look into a private scan. I waited three weeks already, which is long when you area worrying and in discomfort. I really hope to get a letter through the door soon.

Thank for listening and replying.

• Posted

If you ever need to talk about what you are going through I am here as I have been through it all before and I am still going through it.
  • Posted

Thank you emma-jane. You're really kind.

A quick question - apart from a paracetamol and a hot water bottle - is there anything else I can do to improve my ovary discomfort, whilst I'm waiting for a scan appointment? Do you know of anything else that might help?

• Posted

Go to your doctor and say you can not cope with the pain so can they give you anything stronger I am on a lot of things and all of it is on presciption
  • Posted

Ok.. thank you. Having this little chat has made me feel more chearful.
  • Posted

Well if you ever need to chat again you know where I am.

• Posted

Back again - does anyone know why the ovarian pain appears to be worse in the evening?

Could it be perhaps more food in stomach?

Does anyone know?

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.