Ovarian Dermoid Cyst - Very Painful!!

Posted , 124 users are following.

I started having pain in my lower left side in October of last year, it wasnt too bad so I didnt go to the doctors until january as I thought it may go away. I suspected I may have a Cyst and told the doctor and he refered me for a scan. I had a scan in mid Feb and I was diagnosed with a Dermoid Ovarian Cyst, it was about 3.5cm. I had another scan the other day and it has grown to 5cm. I have been refered to a gynocologist and been told that its going to take 20 weeks. I went back to the doctors because its causing me a lot of pain, but he said just to take pain killers (which doesnt really help) Iv been getting really really tired lately and doctor thinks that it could be related to the cyst.

The pain is getting me down, today I was in agony, I had a really sharp pain and I couldnt move, I was in tears. Im not going to be seen for another 4 months at least and I dont know what to do! Im worried its going to grow bigger.

Has anyone else been through similar experiences? How can I relieve the pain, Iv tired pain killers and warm baths but nothing works. Im only little and worried about how big the cyst is going to get, how quickly do these things grow? Mine got 1.5cm bigger in 5 weeks, so Im hoping it might stop for a bit!

Thank you

9 likes, 330 replies

330 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi just to let you know whats happening,well im going in hospital on monday 12th march ,having dermoid and both ovaries removed,i told the sugeon just take it out had enough of months of pain,,,he agreed,,,,got to have bikini line cut, ill let you know of the outcome,hes even going to take pic of it for me yuk lol fight on girls you will get it done.let u know on my return ,
    • Posted

why are they doing bikini cut I'm having same issues but said larascopic on Monday
    • Posted

Hi Margaret,  know I'm late to the discussion but can you tell me what your symptoms were please

• Posted

good luck Margaret I hope your operation went well, and your recovery was a fast one, I'm hopefully going in a months time.

• Posted

How did it go? This sounds just like me! Im 54 and have a dermoid cyst on my right ovary and I am waiting for surgery to remove it along with both ovaries doing a bikini line cut.  The reason they are doing it this way is because they are concerned the cyst will attach itself to my urethra so I will have to have the urology team involved too!  They haven't operated so far as my gynaecologist says I need to lose weight off my tummy first.  I am 5ft tall and just over 11 stone so not massive. I am back to see her next Thursday having lost just over a stone so fingers crossed. 

• Posted

My daughter has an appointment with her consultant on 1 Aug , to see what is going to be done , with this new cyst , she desperately wants a child so we will have to see what he decides , she is going to mention to him about freezing her eggs
  • Posted

I'm 19, I went to the doctors over a year ago, with really bad bloating, dodgy periods and pain during sex. I was given a pregnancy test, which was negative and sent away. The pain got worse and I went back just over a month ago. I got diagnosed with an ovarian cyst. Measuring 13x8cm. Pretty big! I've been for loads of blood tests and examinations sad I have an MRI booked in and my operation soon after. I have to have a laparoscopy and have a Fallopian tube and an ovary removed. I'm so scared!

You'll be fine, honestly!

• Posted

hi all just to let you know i had op,came home today,resting .well ,after the op which he done yesterday,My surgeon came to see me this am and said i could go home as i was do ok,he also said he was so sorry.....but he discovered my dermoid cyst was twisted 3 and half times hidden below my urterus,so you see the scan didnt show it were twisted,as this can ruptor,(not good)he said how sorry he was saying it was ibs causing this pain,,,,,,,i know my body......i knew my pain was this dermoid not IBS.....anyway its been removed along with my ovaries,,,,yes a bit painful to move about ,be 12 weeks to recover,but NOW theres a light at the tunnel,i can only get better ,,,,,have staples removed on monday,ill let you know of my recovery.reply to abcos93-----it be fine go for it girl,it will be fine,staff were fantastic towards me,dont be scared get rid of it tc,(GIRLS DONT SIT BACK KEEP ON AND YOUR BE LISTERNED TO IN THE END,,,I WAS,)tc all
    • Posted

I'm terrified I have a 35mm cyst on my right ovary & 15mm & 8mm on left I have panic disorder I need operation I can't stop panicking I need advise x

• Posted

Hi, I too have been diagnosed with a dermoid cyst. I had a gynae appointment yesterday, where all that happened was a blood test & told to come back in four weeks. I am disappointed I wasn't put on the waiting list for surgery yet as I've been in constant pain since the beginning of February with three bouts of very severe pain. I also feel like my mood is really low & wonder if other sufferers have experienced this?
  • Posted

I too had extremely severe pain & presented myself to the out of hours GP & ended up in A&E as the pain was on my right side & they couldnt be sure it wasnt appendicitis. I had loads of blood tests & was admitted to a ward & the next morning they were not convinced it was appendicitis so i was sent for an ultrasound which was extremely painful as they were pushing down hard to see things. It transpired that my huge cyst on my ovary had ruptured & dumped its contents into my abdomen & i had a laparoscopy & they removed remains of the cyst & the fluid & washed out my abdomen. My bellybutton scar hurts the worst & i cant bear to have clothing on it.
  • Posted

I emailed my consultant following my outpatient appointment and he agreed i should be put straight on the list for surgery.I had my laparoscopic cystectomy on Monday & know what you mean about the pain, I can't

bear clothing touching the scars either. So relieved to be rid of the cyst though.

• Posted

hello all," wow" im almost back to normal,been 9weeks since i had the nasty dermoid tumor removed,scar is now shrunk to 7inches from 10inches,doing great,tummys going down to,another 3 weeks and ill be exercising,cant wait,still got be careful lifting etc but feel wonderful,i would have have been left in agony if i had not persisted in phoning my gyney,all i can say is thanks to my doctor gp i mean,and me phoning nonstop,i was told it was ibs yeah right,,,,,i had the nasty gremlin removed all 3inches of it yuk gone ye haw,DONT GIVE UP GIRLS ,SPEAK UP,ITS YOUR BODY AFTER ALL,GODBLESS ALL AND GET BETTER SOON ,mags
    • Posted

Hi margaret i am just wondering because i also suffered this pain now. I have my stomach ultrasound last november 2015 and found out that I have dermoid cyst for about 5x7x9 cm and the doctor refered me to OB but I didn't go because I have a doctor friend and show her my ultrasound result then advised me to take herbal med because it will be dissolved..so I take her advise and after a week my pain gone and my stomach size back to normal. after 8 months I suffered again..I was scheduled to go to OB-gyne this friday to have a laboratory and ultarsound again.I am just wondering if ever I go through surgery is it really true to remove also your ovary?I am 29 years old and I want to have kids..

• Posted

Hi, lorie21do. I would highly suggest to speed up the process for a surgery to see what they can do. I am 23 and I just had a surgery 3 days ago.I had a dermoid cyst about 8cm in my right ovary. I was told there was a risk there could possibly be the removal of the right ovary. However, thank god, the surgery went well and they managed to remove just the cyst. So the sooner you do it, the less likely the risk of the removal of any ovaries. Even if they do remove one ovary, you still got another ovary and can still have children in the future. Do not worry. Just try see you OB and get the scans, and see the surgeons anf they will fill you in on what has to be done and they mostly only remove the cyst, unless it life-threathening they remove the ovary/ovaries along with them. Stay strong. You can do this smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.