Ovarian Dermoid Cyst - Very Painful!!

Posted , 124 users are following.

I started having pain in my lower left side in October of last year, it wasnt too bad so I didnt go to the doctors until january as I thought it may go away. I suspected I may have a Cyst and told the doctor and he refered me for a scan. I had a scan in mid Feb and I was diagnosed with a Dermoid Ovarian Cyst, it was about 3.5cm. I had another scan the other day and it has grown to 5cm. I have been refered to a gynocologist and been told that its going to take 20 weeks. I went back to the doctors because its causing me a lot of pain, but he said just to take pain killers (which doesnt really help) Iv been getting really really tired lately and doctor thinks that it could be related to the cyst.

The pain is getting me down, today I was in agony, I had a really sharp pain and I couldnt move, I was in tears. Im not going to be seen for another 4 months at least and I dont know what to do! Im worried its going to grow bigger.

Has anyone else been through similar experiences? How can I relieve the pain, Iv tired pain killers and warm baths but nothing works. Im only little and worried about how big the cyst is going to get, how quickly do these things grow? Mine got 1.5cm bigger in 5 weeks, so Im hoping it might stop for a bit!

Thank you

9 likes, 330 replies

330 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you! I do have a couple of other questions actually! Did you have to stay in hospital overnight or did they allow you home the same day? I am guessing it partly depends upon what time you have the surgery. I had a general anaesthetic for a procedure in December last year and I was fine afterwards but ending up being sent home quite late at night because they forgot to feed me! Also, am I likely to have a catheter? I remember having one put in for my second elective caesarean and I didn't much care for it! They can do what they like when I am asleep but really hoping I dont have to have one put in before I go to theatre.

Thank you again xx

• Posted

Hi, I had mine done as a daycase, arrived at the unit at 7.30am & was home by around 3.30pm. I didn't have a catheter, though almost

wished for one when I got home as they tell you to drink loads as the laparoscopy can make you prone to

UTIs and I had to get up frequently to go to the toilet!

• Posted

Hi Karen! I am still waiting for my op. I was due to go in last Thursday for what has now become a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (still unsure why I need both ovaries and fallopian tubes removed but assume it is to do with my age(53) and have to trust in the experts) when I got a phone call on the Wednesday afternoon to say there had been a serious flooding incident in the operating theatre so my operation would have to be cancelled! So frustrating after psyching myself up for it but guess it's just one of those things! In the meantime the hospital have also called to say I need antibiotics asap for a water infection which they detected at pre-op. This is the third infection since Christmas so don't know if it has anything to do with the dermoid or whether the infection just isn't clearing properly. Just have to wait for a re-scheduled appointment now!

Hope you are keeping well!

• Posted

Poor you, hope you don't have to wait too long. I'm off on hols to Greece today - first since my op & cannot wait!

K x

• Posted

Hi shaunagh I had my op in march ,if you scroll up you can see what I wrote,I to have both ovaries out, Im 55,the reason is so incase another dermoid grows on other ovary,(safe) get rid both as at our age no kids,so not needed anymore,,I also have had infections but this is because I have kidney problems,am now waiting for op to repair this,but when you do get this op sorted wow your feel great,Also I didn't have to have a colostomy bag,hope you get this done soon as possible,please get well soon tc mags
  • Posted

you don't need to have a catheter ,I didn't tc x
  • Posted

Thank you ladies! Karen, I hope you have a lovely, well deserved holiday and Mags, thank you for explaining the reason for bilateral surgery, makes perfect sense now! Hope you don't have to wait too long for your other operation. Thank you both for all your advice and information, much appreciated!
  • Posted

Hello shaunagh your so welcome,please let me know how you get on,and im here anytime you need to ask, I wish you health wealth and happiness tc mags x
  • Posted

Bless you Margaret, you are very kind. Hoping to hear when my re-scheduled date is soon. Just need to get rid of this horrible water infection first; the antiobiotics have made me feel worse than the infection and it's the third one I have had since Christmas. I am hopeful that when my operation is out of the way my general health will improve.

Thank you again for your kind words, take care, Shaunagh x

• Posted

I was having pains in my stomach for around a year but didn't ever think it was serious enough. I went to the doctors who sent me for an ultra sound which came back clear. This was September 2011, in November

2011 I went to A&E withsevere abdominal pain on my right side and vomiting several times. They were going to send me home but decided to keep me in overnight to monitor me, after seeing several consultants and moving to three different wards I had a CT scan that showed I had a dermoid cyst that was about 10cm and it had wrapped itself around my right ovary. I was put in for emergency surgery and had to have my right ovary removed along with the cyst. I had key hole surgery and at first the scars looked awful but healed up very well and faded. This was two years ago and the scars are barely visible. I would recommend that after surgery that you should start to have regular internal scans. I hadn't been for one until today and although my left ovary is still in tact and functioning there was another dermoid cyst, this was only 8mm so she said it was nothing to worry about and that they would only remove it if it was 5cm or bigger. The doctor also informed me that you only need one ovary in order to conceive. The whole ordeal was horrible at the time but I will be going for regular scans and keeping an eye on that 2nd dermoid cyst, she said that once you have had one then there is a 20% chance of getting another.

My surgeon did a very good job and most of the time they will try to save the ovary but as mine was twisted around this was not possible. I am only 30 and have no children as yet but would like to so I am keeping my eye on that second dermoid.

• Posted

Hello ladies, well I finally had my bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy yesterday after two cancellations. The dermoid cyst had apparently grown to the size of a lemon and I needed some work done to repair some post c-section problems; my uterus was apparently fused to my stomach wall and I had other adhesions that needed freeing up. As a result I went to theatre at 2.00pm and didn't return until 5.30pm - it feels strange to have no recollection at all of this time! I had to have a catheter in over night and came home this afternoon, somewhat bruised and battered. I felt amazingly well last night and declined pain relief which turned out to be a big mistake as at 1.30am I had dreadful chest pain from the effects of the gas and had to call for help - my own fault entirely as the pain relief administered during the surgery was simply doing its job and just needed topping up! I had four incisions with disposable stitches which seem absolutely fine, the gas pain is most definitely the biggest problem but hopefuly this wil subside in a few days. The consultant wants to see me in two weeks to check that everything is healing in view of the additional work she had to do and then the usual six week follow up appointment. I still had reservatiions about having both ovaries and tubes removed as only one was affected but my lovely consultant reassured me that she was taking preventative measures to ensure that I had no further recurring cyst problems which could lead to rupture, torsion and even malignancy. I am relieved to be home, especially having gone through the trauma of having my surgery cancelled twice. Hoping you are all doing well and continue to enjoy good health in the future. Thak you again for all your advice and words of encouragement!
  • Posted

So glad it went well Shaunagh. Make the most of your time off work and take it easy - definitely took me longer to recover than I thought it would. And don't forget the laxatives!!! smile

• Posted

Thank you Karen, I have them ready and waiting. The thing I am liking least is the pain in my chest - wasn't really expecting that! I also had low blood pressure following surgery which hadn't resolved when I was discharged so I have an unpleasant light-headed, woozy feeling. Normally my blood pressure is high and I am on medication for it but have been advised not to take it for a few days. No doubt all these things will pass in time! Hope you are feeling completely recovered now and enjoyed your well-earned holiday xx

• Posted

your so welcome shaunagh,sorry haven't been on. awaiting yes another operation on my kidney,so wont be here a lot for a while,you will feel so much better hun soon,i also had both ovaries taken,best thing I say as no more dermoids yeahhhhhhh,.I just wanted wish you well,and ill be in touch soon ,ops anytime ,so be in touch soon tc and best health mags
  • Posted

also meliie all the best ,tc everyone mags xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.