Ovaries removed

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi I am 9 days post op after having TAH with ovaries removed, since having them removed I have done more research and have read more about reasons for keeping your ovaries and now feel so depressed because I let mine go. It seems that if you lose your ovaries you are at more risk of dying from heart disease and I ve got this in my head that I m going to die sooner because of this. I maybe going through the surgical menopause now and it's causing me to be emotional, my surgeon is going to put me on HRT when I go back in 5 weeks time but only for couple of years. Is anybody out there who had their ovaries removed and doing well with no signs of heart disease. I am so worried now I wish I had asked my surgeon not to take them out but it's too late now. I feel absolutely gutted I didn't keep them

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Nanny

I had my ovaries removed last year and straight into surgical menopause at age of 44. I decided not to go on HRT due to family history of breast cancer, however the gynae consultant did warn me about issues surroinding this decision.

Over the last year I have had flushes, which have been hard to cope with but has really settled over the last few months. I had my yearly appointment with the breast nurse and mentioned about heart disease/ bone density and lack of HRT and she assured me that there is no reason why have to go on it.

I understand how u feel about saying goodbye to the ovaries, but wiill settle over time. Ive never felt better in years since I made the decision to have mines removed.

Hope u manage to feel better soon. In the meantime try the 'Ladycare Menopause magnet' this was my saviour smile

• Posted

Thanks for your info, my mom had breast cancer and this was my reason to keep my ovaries rather than go on HRT but my gynae said she would prefer to take them due to the chance of them failing in next couple of years and having to go back in to take them out. Also more chance of ovarian cancer and as I was peri menopausal they would stop working in couple of years anyway. Since I ve had the op I ve realised they carry on working slightly for some years after the menopause. I am really so upset and cannot stop crying over my stupid decision, I m convinced i have to go on hrt now regardless of breast cancer worry as i d worry more about my heart. Just wish I could turn the clock back 2 weeks
    • Posted

Feel the same way. I was really happy with my decision at first, thought I would never have to worry. But now I regret it all! I wish I could turn it back too. I will never knew the longterm consequesnces and I was never told. I keep thinking back to the day I signed the paperwork. I remember the BSO, and my gyno was like yep all good. I wish I never did it now. I live in fear everyday now.
  • Posted

According to the research results from Pennysylvania  University Medical School even women with the BRCA1 and BRACA2 genes who have had their ovaries removed should still be offered HRT because the lack of HRT would probably kill them before breast cancer would and they said this not me that  breast cancer can be cured. As I said before none of the 1,000 women in their research who were given a placebo instead of HRT reached the age of 70.
  • Posted

I haven't had any heart problems 2 years on now. But after all the problems I've had I would advise women to keep their ovaries unless it was due to a cancer risk.

I regret it and have been back and forth to the Dr ever since for unbearable menopausal symptoms and Vaginal Atrophy which noone mentions when they say your be in immediate menopause. Although it only affects a minority it would be good to know!

• Posted

Hi Tracy

Thanks for your reply, it's nine months in now and I am on evorel patches, started on 25mg which didn't touch me then dose was highered to 50mg, which is much better. I have to agree on the vaginal atrophy, I was never told about any of the awful symptoms you get, and as for sexual desire..... I have none whatsoever!

My skin is very dry and I feel 'older', maybe it's all in my mind but I can honestly say the 'after effects' of surgical menopause is worse than the op itself

• Posted

Hi again. I just wanted to say I swapped to gel and have hardly any symptoms now and goes straight into blood stream so no going through liver. If tablets not helping I'd recommend as worth a try. It still goes through my mind about the risks of having my ovaries gone at 40 and that i wasnt told about them even when i asked but only occasionally. There's nothing I can do so I'm trying to be positive. I hope you find something that relieves symptoms soon xx
    • Posted

I'm glad the patches are working for you. I don't know what daily dose they equate to as I presume their monthly? I am on Tibolone 2.5 mg daily as it helps the sex drive etc. and Ovestin twice a week to help the AV.

I do feel older like you say but I think it's not so much the ovaries but all the new side effects and aches. Which have changed me and my outlook and aged me in such a short space of time. Now I'm feeling more normal with all the medication I feel a bit more lively again :-)

• Posted

Hello there, just say I have found your conversation useful, I too have done a Google search and terrified myself! I had a TH and BSO yesterday I feel okish! I worry cos I have always suffered with very bad PMT so I thought no hormones would be better. How stupid of me being a nurse as well! I have a very stressful job and now concerned I will cope, I can't have HRT due having issues with clots! I'm 47 and not suffered the menopause yet I have a high risk of breast cancer with one lump removed and in my family. Can anyone commend anything? 
  • Posted

I'm 47 years old, and was previous perio-menopausal, really heavy, but still regular periods untill I started chemotherapy in May. I have estrogen/progesterone positive invasive carcinoma of the right breast with lymph node involvement. I'm also supposed to have a hysterectomy sometime after the breat operation because I have large fibroids in my uterus that are pressing against my bladder and my right kidney is not draining properley because of the fibroids and my urologist is afraid of possible right kidney shut down. My breast chemo therapy doctor is strongly urging me to have both of my ovaries removed due to their strong production of estrogen- which is fule for the breat cancer and any possible breast cancer in the future.. I know the one has endometrious and will be removed, but I am very undecided about having the over ovary removed. The chemo doctor says it may prevent me from getting repeat breast cancer up to 60% but he has not provided any statistics. I am very afraid of what I read about possible osteoporosis issues in the future as well as heart disease, memory impairment-dementia, as well as other health issues in the future. I keep vasilating about what I want to do. I was told that hormone replace therapy is not an option for the rest of my life because they purposely want to surpress the estrogen in my body to prevent future breast cancer recurrance. In fact they later want me to be on Amiridex- I think that's how you spell- it to prevent any estrogen affects producted from the adrinal glands that are still a source of estrogen production in the body after ovary removal. I am tortured about what to do. The more I read about it, the more confued I get, and the more I vasilate. I don't want to make a very big mistake about having both taken out, but I am really afraid of getting breat cancer again and going through all this chemo, operations, radiation in the near future ect. Plus I have a tottaly unrealted neuroendocrine tumor that must be removed from my small intestine at the same time as the hysterectomy. I am so sorry about what you are going through. I known I probably did not help, I have not had any operations yet, but I really sympathize about what you are going through. The doctors don't make it easy. With these really complex decisons, we are often left to our own devices to interpret, analyze, and come up with decisions, trying to make the best ones, by collecting data from so may conflicting sources.

• Posted

Lets just agree that it is really unnatural and messed up to get your ovaries or uterus  removed. To remove your ovaries is castration. If you are young you will suffer greatly. And you will never ben the same. Do you want to be on pills the rest of your life? It sucks greatly. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.