ovary cyst

Posted , 6 users are following.

need advice please i have a 5cm cyst doc referred my to hosp they told me to come back in 8 wks see if goes on its own.i am in constent pain but since yesterday it seems to be getting worse.can anyone offer any help how to get ease from the pain.i am always taking painkillers an they dont seem to be doing much.i have seen 2 gps at my docs an they said a cyst of this size an symptons r norm removed.but its down to the hosp in the end.gp is sending letter to hosp for second opion.advice if anyone has any.dont know what to do an where to get help i feel i,m getting fobbed off thankyou for reading x

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If you have a gynaecalogical consultant ring his secretay and/or clinic and get an appointment. Tell them it has got worse so that is why rung.

If not ask you GP for an urgent refferal to gynaecology as seems getting the run around. Once you have a contact with gynaecology use it.

As they say They who shout loudest. Sad but true

Thinking of you and big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

If you get really bad pain I would go

To a&e don't take any chances.

These things can rupture and twist xx

• Posted

My experience was similar to yours.  I ended up with two 4cms cysts which bled into each other.  The only way I could cope with the pain was by consistently taking Ponstan which dulled it.  I did hound my G.P. and I think he realised that I would not be leaving his surgery until I was given strong pain relief. 

From what I have read hot water bottles do help alleviate the pain for a time.  Also I found that jeans aggravated the pain so I took to wearing loose fitting clothes. 

My G.P. gave me for a letter of referral for A&E as he knew that I was in a bad way, had two scans done within 3 months and had a laparoscopy and d&c three weeks ago.  

Hope this helps a little bit and that your pain abates very soon.

• Posted

Hi Debbie, 

Sorry to hear you are in pain 😞. Different hospitals seem to do different things from what I've seen.  I was referred to the hospital because I had a period after 15 months after being without periods for 12 months (this happened twice but I didn't realise that it was important the first time and didn't get it checked out) so my doctor referred me to the hospital where I had a ultrasound scan and then internal scan and then I had to go upstairs to the consultants clinic where he told me that I had a 4.7cm cyst.  He decided to do a womb biopsy and some blood tests and refer me for an MRI scan which I had a few weeks later.  I had to go back to my consultant again a few weeks later and he said he thought the cyst was benign but couldn't be 100% sure unless he tested it so recommended an hysterectomy as I was nearly 51 and post menopausal. 

I had my hysterectomy 8 weeks ago and my cyst whic was a serous fibro something or other was thankfully found to be benign.  So from me seeing my doctor on the 12th March it was just over 3 months to me having my operation. 

My cyst had grown to 10 cm by the time they removed it 😳.  I didn't get a lot of pain with it but did get some at certain times of the month but I just passed it off as part of the menopause.  

I hope they get you sorted soon, it's awful how they leave women in pain like this 😞

• Posted

Agree. No pain with mine, some other symptoms though, saw consultant on 30th July and op booked for the 15th Sept. May be so quick as picked up in 2011 but GP didn't bother about it so no refferal was made
    • Posted

thankyou janet0263 glad you got it sorted.just feel so down the pain gets ya down then ya cant eat get either bloated or indigestion.never thought i could feel so ill.i,m norm on the go.i cant even go the gym at mo cause of pain doc as given me zapain.but they dont either take pain away or not for long.the way i feel at mo i think i might ave to go to a&e but i have two boys one is only little so its hard 
    • Posted

thanks tazchurch what is ponstan.i have seen one consultant.an she said wait 8wks then will re scan.so my gp as sent off for me to see someone else just hope comes soon.
    • Posted

Ponstan is one of the group of painkillers known as Non Steroidal anti Inflammatories (NSAID's) and Iburofen is probably the best known one and I think the mildest
  • Posted

I was given codeine for the pain which worked great but was so strong I was feeling rather spaced out. The local pharmacist recommended co-codamol mixture of paracetamol and codeine this worked ok. You can buy it over the counter less than£2. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.