Ovary removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello Ladies, I've been booked in for surgery to remove both ovaries after two years of cysts being present, I'm 53 and they don't bother me other than being constantly on my mind between scans! I am under a gynaecologist/oncologist my choice - she looked at my ultrasound report and said seeing as I'm 53 and no longer need them, then it's best to remove them to stop getting further cysts - however I've not been offered MRI or CT scan is that normal? She said an MRI won't show much more up than the ultrasound!? Thoughts please

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My daughter 41 is having full hysterectomy june 1. Gyno oncologist says she felt mri needed that ct didnt give enough info about a cyst on left ovary that appears to be infiltrating her fallopian tube right side has complex cyst 8.8 with 2 cysts in it. Hope mri clears things up for you
  • Posted

Yes she is right they dis my ultrasound too all the time because ctsacan doen't show that accurate size ..... I had laparoscopy surgery last month i had 2 cyst but ovaries save

• Posted

It's true an MRI won't show much more than an ultrasound other than detirmine it's orgin of the cyst-benign or malignant, aswell as concerns over them being filled with blood/fluid or a solid mass, MRI also shows up the tissue within and around of the ovary to ensure everything else is ok as bloods can have show up some things that an ultrasound you can't really see so they do an MRI to confirm their understanding or findings so maybe your doctor knows the exact base line of your cyst and don't need to do one, I have had my cyst since I was 13 and I'm 20 this year and only had an MRI last Nov my first time, I'm scheduled for surgery on 24th July. I would say if you're concerned to ask your consultant whether you need one and ask why they havent done one on you, I wouldn't worry too much why they haven't it's fairly common smile

• Posted

Hello Pamela,

I was not offered MRI or CT only ultrasound too. My brother who is a radiologist said this, this is a good tool (size) and only a MRI or CT if the ultasound shows something different or and mybe not a good picture.

• Posted

Hello, I'm 53 had surgery yesterday to remove both ovaries and tubes due to 12cm cyst on left ovary, it was found last September when had sharp pains in side, had been having it monitored hoping it would go away but had got bigger was 10 cm so had grown in7mths, was simple cyst but because of size I built up the courage to have it removed along with other ovary in case I got anymore also tubes were removed! I had scans and sonagrams every 4mths and CA125 blood tests which were normal. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah I too have a left ovary cyst 10cm gynaecologist has booked me in for 11 th sept to have both ovaries and tubes along with the cyst which is a simple one out. I must admit I am very nervous . How are you karen
    • Posted

Hello Karen , I am absolutely fine! I have had no pain after op apart from what feels like slight period pains! First 2 days was really tired yesterday day 3 post op I had shower was up and about and this morning day 4 I'm feeling so much better! Just looked in the mirror and I can say my tummy is getting smaller the surgeon said my cyst was as big as a football!😩 I like you was so nervous as I never been in hospital before the build up to going in in the worst and not knowing what to expect from anesthetic but once you get there the nurses will take good care of you it really is not that bad before you know it your awake I dident even know I had had it done. I went down to theatre at 11.am and was sitting bk on ward by 12.30 drinking tea and eating biscuits lol 😊 Think I went home about 2.30pm. Try not to worry easy said than done but you will be absolutely fine Iv floated through it I though it was going to be a lot worse and I'm feeling so much better now cyst gone! ??

• Posted

Any questions don't hesitate to ask!😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.