over 1 year chronic urticaria (possible flu jab)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Over a year ago I received the flu jab (free from work I thought why not!) a few days after swelled up and ever since have had chronic urticaria every day. Not one day with nothing. I went on steroids for a bit but came off.

I now take 2 x zertec (morning and evenint) 1 x ranitidine (morning and evening) and 1 x doxephin (at night)

This doesn't get rid of all my hives, during the day I seem to always break out especially legs. I wake up every morning with small ones on my face.

During my period they go pyscho and I haev crazy outbreaks where I can't leave the house.

Immunologist has nothing for me! I have never been allergic to anything in my life I am fit and healthy 27 year old.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?

It is really really upsetting. thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The Zirtec is an antihistamine,  when I was itching, one of my GPs put me on Hydroxyzine which she referred to as an 'old fashione' type of sedating antihistamine.   It certainly helped me to sleep through the feeling of pruritus.

The Doxepin is an anti depressant

The Ranitidine reduces the amount of acid produced by your stomach

You say you were on steroids, what and what dosage?  Why did you stop?

My itching only stopped, after I had been taking steroids for quite a long time [I have an autoimmune skin condition]

My Dermatologist also gave me a topical steroid cream, called Dermovate.  It is classed as 'Very potent'.

• Posted

Thanks for replying.

My immunologist said the mix of drugs I am on should work but they aren't! I always wake up bad and then clear up morning and then afternoon swollen and hivey again sad.

I was on steroids for about a month - I can't do it again had bad side effects.

Do you think it is worth getting tested for autoimmune disease? At least I know then. Have you heard of singular as a treatment? I jus want to know what's causin it and make it stop!!' It's been a year!!!!

• Posted

I have just looked up Singular and discovered that it is a misspelling of Singulair, which is apparently a treatment for Asthma.  The following leaflet tells you about it.

https://patient.info/medicine/montelukast-for-asthma

It doesn't seem appropriate for you.

What country are you in?  In the UK, I would suggest asking to be referred to see a Dermatologist because this has been going on for so long.

What dose of steroids were you on?  I finally came off them last October, after 3 years.  They helped with the unbearable itching that I had and they also helped with the blisters that I have.  I was put on Methotrexate instead.

• Posted

Sorry singulair - yes for asthma but studies have shown great for heinie hives. At the moment my immunologist is all about finding the drug combination that work best for me (safe drugs first) before going back to steroids and immune suppressants .

I was on prednisone to begin with.

Did you have side effects being on steroids for 3 years?

I live in Australia, I went to a dermatologist but he said to see an immunologist to try and find out what's going on. But the immunologist has pretty much given up!

• Posted

Hi Lana, I put on weight but fortunately, didn't develop the moon face or diabetes.  I am waiting for results of my DXA scan, to learn how my bones have fared.  I took Alendronic acid for about 12 months but the side effects of that were horrible and my doctors weren't too concerned about me stopping it.  I had the occasional oral thrush.  But if you can find the dose that is low enough to stop the itching, the side effects might not be too bad.

Here, in the UK, it is my Dermatologist who is trying the hardest with my autoimmune disease.  I wasn't given the option of seeing an Immunologist and don't know that I would have benefitted.

Can you go back to your Dermatologist?  Perhaps if you can get the itching under control with steroids, you can move to topical steroids.

• Posted

The immunisation may have precipitated the urticaria.

that your periods are linked to the severity of the problem needs to be followed up. Google urticaria and hormones and you will see lots of tales of woe but some women have found relief from a variety of sources. Take care, hormones need to be treated with great respect and ned supervision.

• Posted

Thank you. I have spend the last 6 months researching hormones as chronic urticaria. That is why I think I need the test to see if it is auto immune. I am back on my contraceptive pill as this means I can keep taking through break so I don't get a period - this helps with the symptons a bit, but no where near enough sad in the next 6 months I would like to start trying for a baby but terrified to come off my contraceptive pill
  • Posted

Hello Lana

Im so sorry to hear you too are suffering from Urticaria.......and yes it is very upsetting living with this chronic  problem.  I have had to deal with this a few times in my 60 years.  The hives would come I would be able to keep them controlled with Claritin in my thirties had them for 2 years then they went away completely for over a decade then returned and kept them under control with 2 Allegra a day for a year and a half then they went away...this time very difficult to control.  I am now getting off Prednisone due to a medication I was on that was breaking down my red blood cells...... in the past when I've stopped the prednisone the hives came back in a vengeance !!  I pray it doesn't happen this time. My doctor is highly recommending the new Monthly injection Xolair.  It seems to help many......hopefully I will not need it. You may want to ask your doctor about it.  I am grateful that we can all share with each other.  There are many that are not posting...which is sad...I only hope it's because they are doing well........it's so important to share with each other what is working to keep these hives away.  I believe my hives are brought on by stress times in my life affecting my immune system.  I hope this help.  Take Good care

Wendy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.