Over 3 mths since shingles diagnosed.

Posted , 5 users are following.

It's over 3mths since I was diagnosed with shingles on right side of my face and eye. Blisters/scabs all went but I'm left with a very tender red blotchy area which even make up can't conceal. GP told me I have PHN as still getting pain...stinging, burning etc, and I know this can last month's even years and worst case scenario permanently. What I don't know is if that will be the same for the redness. I still have numbness in some areas...is that due to nerve damage? Trying very hard to stay positive but it's getting me down a bit particularly because I'm finding the cold weather/wind on my face makes it sting more as well as heat so can't have the flame effect gas fire on because I end up burning up. Looking ahead to choosing where to go on holiday in a few months time if my face is still the same it's going to be a real problem. Has anyone been in a similar position with having the redness or left with nerve damage? Many thanks.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No the redness will go guaranteed. But it might take many months yet before its completely cleared. But week by week you will see an improvement.
  • Posted

Hi Debra. I too have had shingles now for close to four months. My rash on my leg is still there. It is dark mottled under the skin. It is very slowly healing but still has a long way to go. Because I am still having some burning pain off and on and some tingling I have been told it is PHN. I am taking 😬50 mg of pregabalin for the pain. I feel I  getting better each day and will gradually wean from the meds. And hope the rash goes away with it. So I relate to what you are going through and hopeful that we both will recover soon. Take care 

• Posted

Hi Debra,

Sorry you have PHN and redness on your face. I have PHN, too. I got shingles on my left upper side exactly a year ago. The redness and scars are gradually fading. I am still having nerve pain after a year. But, the good news is that my pain is very slowly easing. I am forced to live a very careful life now, however, because stress, lack of enough sleep or poor eating habits can make my pain worse. I know my nerve pain is better than it was six months ago, so that gives me hope that eventually it will lessen more. Good luck to you.  

• Posted

Thank you for replies. Good to know that things will hopefully get better. I realise it's still early days so I'll just have to be patient. Good luck to everyone with their recovery too.

• Posted

I also have passed the three month mark with the red/pink spots on my right stomach and back. I must admit the burning and feeling of constantly being body punched has not been as intense as before. I do have PHN and do not expect the redness to disappear. This has been a terrible experience and as someone on this forum has stated "life altering". You can only hope the redness will fade in time. I have ordered a medical MJ topical hoping to abate further the burning. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.