Over 6 months post GB surgery and not well

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had gallbladder surgery over 7 months ago and I've had several different symptoms that had made my life very stressful ever since.

I feel a lot of burning sensation not only in my chest but now also in my stomach. I'm very tired of all this and started to belive I'll never be normal and my digestive system. Why is it still going on the burning? As far as I know most people that did this surgery are better 6 months aft wards so why am I not yet? Has anyone been like this and got better. Is there any hope? I am so scared that could be bile refluxing to stomach due to lack of GB. I hope is just an inflammation and that can be cure. 

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It's been nearly 3 years now since mine was removed and overall not too bad. I will say though that if I eat some fatty foods, I literally need to go to the toilet 10-15 minutes later and I have far more wind than before. I'm told this is because some people suffer a little with the excess of bile being released into the small intestine dye to no gall bladder. I do get occasional jabs every now and again so think fairly typical post op to have symptoms. Far better than that awful pain though!
    • Posted

Hi! I agree completly I mean I wouldn't be probably here now if wasn't for the surgery. Pancreatitis can be life threatening and since I had that too there was no option rather than op. But it has been over 6 months and I am feeling nothing than awful effects that don't know if they ever going. I don't get diarrhea perhaps because I'm on low fat diet since but that's what I was expecting as the only side effect afterwards like they told me in hospital. I don't think that burning for so long is still a normal effect its a sign that something is wrong surely. I need more tests and be diagnosed properly by doctors. 
  • Posted

Sorry you are suffering so much. I am only 19 days post op and not doing too badly. Still a little sore and bad stomach cramps after having scampi chips and ice cream, a bad move!!

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Thank you. You Must stay away from fatty foods for a while at least until you feel stronger. I haven't had chips or any kind of fried foods since my surgery so I m not doing too bad when it comes to stomach cramps. Taking the GB out actually allowed me to do a diet and lose a lot of extra weight. I feel better now in terms of unhealthy weight and food habits I had before this. But of course the burning and nausea I'm feeling is not right. I m very careful with food, I only eat lean red meat and some grilled fish. I can live like that, I stay away from any thing I know it will cause me Diarrhea and cramps. But I still suffer with heartburn. I must find out why, is really worrying me a lot and for so long now. I should be better by now I think. I'll keep in touch x
    • Posted

Hi Sorry you still seem to be really struggling.

There should be other doctors you can see at your local surgery.

Is there anyone you can ask who would recommend one to you?

I sometimes find that women doctors are more sympathetic than men.

Hope ou manage to get this sorted and get some proper help and answers.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah thank you for your reply. Yes I still strugle over 7 months after my op .I am thinking maybe see a gastro I've seen last year three months after the surgery. I was having such bad chest spasms and burning I had to pay to see him straightaway.

I don't know if there's much more it can be done but I need more support to deal with this. It's a daily struggle now.

thank you for your nice words

I'll keep in touch xx

• Posted

I had the same symptoms and stomach burning off and on for a year after my GB was removed. Eventually the nausea and vomiting was so bad I was hospitalized. The gastroenterologist did a procedure called an ERCP and placed a stent somewhere in the biliary system to open a place that was narrowed and not draining. You can look up the procedure on the web and get a much better explanation then what I've given. I was kept overnight on IV fluids and released the next morning. I follow a low fat diet ( very important!) and I have small pills that melt under my tongue in case I start having the burning and/or nausea again. Actually, it's been 4 months now and I've only used the medication a few times. The blockage in my biliary tube was causing me to be so sick for so long. The solution was so easy, once I was diagnosed. I hope this helps you understand what might be a solution for you. Just find a good gastroenterologist and explain your symptoms. Good luck and feel better soon!
    • Posted

Hi Bette thank you for your reply. I wonder all the time if it can be something wrong like the bile not flowing well due to a problem like you said. Me and my husband thought about it because my burning is getting so bad I can't sleep, my chest feels so tender it hurts all the time.

Unfortunately when I saw my surgeon this week he didn't mentioned an Ercp to see how things look like. So  nowI have to find someone else that can help me. I really hope they can find something that explains my symptoms so I can feel bit better. 

Glad you share your story. All the best x

• Posted

Hi Bette  

May I ask you during the time you're getting the burning if you were you taking any medication to help. I'm taking sucralfate to coat the stomach and sometimes a medicine to empty stomach faster. Did you used to get a lot chest burning besides the stomach too? 

What pills melt under the tongue you said it helps with nausea?

sorry too many questions but I'm desperate. Thank u.

• Posted

Hi Leni

during the time I had the awful burning, stomach and up into the chest, I was taking Dexilent for reflux and Zantac before bed for heartburn. When I got nausea during the day, I took Meclazine, and it did help somewhat, but the slow moving biliary system was the problem. The docs were treating me for general indigestion and heartburn like symptoms. Since the stent was placed, the burning is gone, and the other symptoms are greatly reduced. If I eat something high in fat, like ice cream, the stomach will get that familiar burning ache and then the faint nausea will start. The melt under the tongue med is Hyoscyamine and it has worked really well as long as I take it quickly. But I've only needed it a few times in the last five months. The thing I really have to do is change my eating habits and watch out for fats and fried foods and not to get too full. When I was hospitalized they thoroughly checked my heart because of the awful burning, but again, that wasn't the problem. I hope you get some relief soon, I know it's so miserable. Sorry this post is so lengthy, just had a lot to say. : )

• Posted

Hi Bette

thank you so much for replying to all my questions 😊

I've been Prescribed many different medicines used for treating acid reflux and heartburn but they didn't help me either.

Its good to know they've found the cause of all your symptoms and that the're under control now.

I've been checked once my heart and it was fine. I really hope too I can find a cause for this what I'm feeling. It's been very tough to live each day feeling like this and not sure about the future. Thank you for your sharing

• Posted

Hi Bette

I needed to ask you when you used to havethe burning in the chest have you ever had painful spasms too? I'm having those since last week and it's so h.ard to do anything. I have a 10 month old baby , so you can imagine.

i've been referred to another surgeon today by my GPit's going to take a while I know but it's my only hope now to maybe have some more tests done. The spasms are called esophageal spasms because of the frequent heartburn. 

hope you well smile

• Posted

Hi Leni, sorry to hear you are still having so much trouble. Yes, I did have some really bad spasms initially, a few months before they finally placed the stent for better drainage. I was sent for a EUS, and while they didn't find any ulcers or abnormalities in the stomach, they did stretch my esophagus. I'm not sure why it had narrowed, maybe something to do with reflux, but it seemed to have fixed the painful spasms. I haven't had one since, but am still on the reflux medication and nightly Zantac before bed. I hope your appointment is not too far in the future so you can get some answers soon. I know having the responsibilities of motherhood and not feeling well is really hard. Best of luck! Feel better! 
    • Posted

I'm concerned about the damage to my esophagus and stomach because I know it can cause the narrowing you mentioned. but all I can do is wait to see if I can get help from some doctor.I really concerned about everything that's going on inside me. Thank you so much again for answering to my post and hope you keep feeling good. 
    • Posted

Leni! Hi I am going through this exact thing. I'm feeling hopeless. How are you doing???

• Posted

Hi sorry I only saw your post today! Well I'm back to this forum after a long time because after almost 3 years since last time I post in here I'm back with similar symptoms when I had my gb out. It's insane!! All my symptoms improved eventually, and I was eating everything again without burning, spasms, nausea or any pain. And recently , two weeks ago I started having really bad reflux and now I'm having a burning in my stomach. I'm back thinking is bile and very worried. 

• Posted

I know you have had a rough time with the gallbladder removal.  I am wondering if you are still on this site as i have similar problems and would like to hear your experience of any help
    • Posted

i am wondering if you are on site and can help with post gallbladder problems

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.