Over 7 weeks in and I'm feeling worse than ever!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm well into week 8 now and I'm having a terrible blip of anxiety, low mood/depression and negative/obsessive thoughts. Since I started on the fluox I've been very patient and active, going to work(most of the time), weekly counceling, etc and I've kept a positive attitude and had some good weeks early on. Then weeks 4-5 were worse, but ultimately manageable and I stayed positive and told myself it's just a bump in the road. Things improved a bit in week 6 - but its been all downhill since then. I feel like I'm back at square one and somehow it's worse and darker this time.

I never had agoraphobia or anything like that, but now I get terrible anxiety at the thought of leaving my apartment becacause I'm paranoid something out there will trigger some obsessive thought that I wont be able to let go of. Last night and today I'm getting anxiety/panic attacks over the fact that everything has come crashing down sad

Anyone been through anything similar? I'm finding it very hard to be positive and could use some reassurance. Thanks!

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Excellent, it sounds like your new medicine is working for you, fingers crossed. I really could not have taken the fluoxetine for one second longer, I really thought I was going mad. I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, I was pacing the floor at 3 in the morning I was a total wreck. Ir's ok when peuple say it can take up to 8 weeks to really work but when you are in that mode 8 seconds feels like a lifetime. So happy for you as it sounds like you are turning a corner, such good news. Hope the therapy spurs you on when you start it too. Good luck.cheesygrin
    • Posted

Thanks so much! I know what you mean about going mad. I was thinking that I'm halfway there. Too scared to leave my place, scared to think about anything, afraid it would trigger an obsession, panic attacks, etc etc. I'm glad you got off as well. Prozac just doesnt work for everyone, but we tried!

I also managed to go running again today and had dinner out with a friend. Felt confident for the first time in a while, but I know I've got a ways to go! I won't let this thing beat me!

• Posted

That's fab. They do say exercise is the way to go. It's also nice to be able to do normal things like going out with friends etc.. I hope your continued recovery gives you the confidence you need to do more things. Keep going. Be good to yourself. The best of luck.cheesygrin
    • Posted

Thanks so much! Yeah it was a huge sigh of relief to feel normalish again, even if it's just for a day. Saw my therapist this morning and he was bummed about my relapse, but he gave me some tips on how to refocus that negative energy into something positive.

How are you doing now? It sucks that you havent found a med combo that works for you. My doctor said there is always something that will work and it's usually a combination of things. But I'm glad therapy has helped you improve. smile

• Posted

Hi I'm so happy you had a good day, sometimes that can go onto having another and another, fingers crossed anyway. Yeah it's rubbish when it's one step forward and two back but that's when the positive thinking has to come in.Yeah alot of the time I wish I could take medication but I really have tried quite a few and with having a bad reaction it really has left me with a tablet phobia. Anyway onwards and upwards, heres to much better days and good health all round. Lets try and stay positive. Keep on keeping on. You are doing so well. cheesygrin
    • Posted

Hi Elaine!

It feels so good to have a good stretch of days and most of today I felt like my old self. It almost feels like I'm already starting to turn the corner! My doctor said don't expect much relief too soon but it's definately happening. My brain just sort of feels numb to the problems I've been having. It's like it knows all the obsessions and fears are still there but it just doesnt care!

Positive thinking definitely helps and it's so much easier when you have some relief. I'm not saying its a miracle drug, but Luvox seems to be one of those meds that works when the root problem is OCD related. It might be worth a try for you, but I understand the tablet phobia.

Indeed lets keep going, one foot in front of the other and we will get there. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.