Over 8 months post TKR now and I can't say I'm happy.

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had TKR in february and I've been told by many people that recovery can take up to a year but progress seems to be very slow , still only 90 to 95  degree bend, can't fully straighten and still some pain and suddenly now feels like what it is, a big lump of metal in my leg where my knee was.

Does anyone else feel like this or is it only me who feels downright miserable.

Bill.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nope, it's not just you.  You will soon hear from lots of us who are pretty fed up.  Good days and bad.

Noone prepares you for this, do they?  Most difficult time of my life since I had the op at the end of June.  BUT, I'm getting there. With two little grandsons to enjoy, I won't let this beat me.  Having the second knee done next year has made my outlook even more gloomy.

• Posted

Thnks for the reply,

I don't envy you having to have your other knee done,

good luck with that, you must be in a great deal of pain to consider it.

Bill

• Posted

You're certainly not the only one to feel miserable, Bill! It seems everyone recovers differently but everyone has problems of one kind or another. Did you get much physio advice? I thinke the exercises are the only thing that keeps me hopeful of improving. It's so frustratingly slow though. Jen (12 weeks post op). 
  • Posted

Poor you billy, would have thought you would be back to normal by now. Think perhaps it needs further investigation. We are all together in feeling miserable I think. I am 9weeks post op and wish to heaven I had not had it done. Wish you well.
  • Posted

Hi Bill. Believe me you are not alone feeling like this. I am 9 weeks now and can only bend to 95. It's swollen and so tight I think I can feel the metal too. Have you been exercising or had any physio? Maybe you should see your consultant and check all is going as it should.  My consultant, although being a great surgeon, has no people skills.  I hope your's is nicer! This is a soul destroying op but hang in there Bill. Hope things work out for you xx
    • Posted

Hi ruby I like you am 9weeks. I was discharged from pysio after two sessions with a 100 per cent bend. Last week I had my post op discharge but didn't see my consultant but a pysio practioner, my bend was over 120. So I suppose I have been lucky on that score. Knee is still hot and swollen and pretty stiff. Heaven knows when it will eventually settle down. I don't know about you my friend but I fell as if my knee has taken over my life. I wish you well and hope the bend improves soon.
    • Posted

Hi Tucks. It has taken over my life and to a certain extent my families too. A simple thing like going out for a meal if a major operation as my husband and daughters feel they have to wrap mein cotton wool. I know they mean well but I was always so independent and now I have to rely on others for so many things - here come the blasted tears again!!!!! I am so worried that something is wrong and that I will never get past 95 bend. Probably being rediculous but I have to have swelling drained soon as it has not gone down at all. Sorry to be a whiner you are in the same boat and I'm just feel if we could get past these next few weeks, we should hopefully feel better.  Keep strong, Tucks love R xx
    • Posted

Tucks , are you keeping your legs elevated ? I have a recliner and my legs are up when ever I am sitting . I would also have my knee wrapped in ice most of the time to help with the swelling .. I am sorry you feel so rough .keep talking to your GP until you are happier . The tears will stop. I am taking  anti depressants , a major op can cause depression , and that slows every thing up . Don't be afraid to talk about it to the GP xxx 
    • Posted

Hi Pam. I elevate my leg every time I sit down and ice a couple of times a day. Maybe I should ice more often. Not sure what is worse, the swelling or constant tightness and muscle spasms.  I am seeing my GP later this week and hopefully she can help. I am determined that this will not beat me. Xx

• Posted

I had my op last Dec and I also feel the same way as you! I have a complication hindering my progress....My body has been growing new bone behind my knee where bone meets the lower part of of the new joint. This means my bend will only ever be 90 degrees and I still take as many painkillers as I did before the op!
    • Posted

Hi nicky gosh that a long time for you to be still having problems. We have these ops to sort us out but unfortunately that's not always the case. I wish you well and hope you see some improvement soon 
  • Posted

Hello everyone I'm 4weeks post TKR and it's really scary reading some of these posts

i can't count how many times I've said I wish I'd never bothered.

i think people having the other knee done are so very brave...I know I couldn't.

nobody prepares you for the pain

i have an 83% bend and despite doing the exercises regularly I don't seem to be progressing much further than that 

I can't do the bicycle exercises as I have a problem with my Spine.

i hope the next time I post a message It's a positive one 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean,

I'm one of those that needs the other knee sorted.  Like you, after 4 weeks, I said never again, can't even contemplate it.  But, with time and as the new knee improves, you start to come round to the idea.  A bit like childbirth, the worst memories fade!

Don't get me wrong, I really am not looking forward to it but, in truth, I have no choice.  Noone gets this op done for the fun of it.  But bone on bone is no fun either.

• Posted

Hi jean I think you are probably going through the worst period time wise at 9weeks I am having some good and bad days. At the moment I don't feel I will ever be the same person haven't even thought about when the swelling goes and apparently you can feel the metal in the knee. The thought really frightens me. Wish so much I had never had it done. Take care, sorry to be so negative but it is truly how I feel. From Tucks x
    • Posted

Hi Tucks, I am sure you will improve . During the first 3 weeks I was thinkng never again, but. I have gradually improved. The unoperated knee has improved a lot, so the rush has gone. Before the op I was on so many pain killers I was like a zombie . If I get halfway  back there I will be pushing for the next op.the pain relief that helped the most in the early stages was anti inflammatory ....once I started on them I started to improve . Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.