Over a year with Chest tenderness, rib popping... extremely frustrated

Posted , 16 users are following.

A little over a year ago while performing dips at the gym I heard a pop in my chest but paid no mind due to not having any pain, however, a few days later while doing dips again I dipped down and could not push myself back up due to the intense pain and lack of chest strength that I gather came from the injury. For the last year I've seen numerous doctors in every discipline imaginable, attended physical therapy (stretches, icing, strengthening) with 3 different providers, attended a chiropractor in 2 different practices, I've had X-rays, MRI and CT scans performed,  and they still can't figure out what's wrong. One fo the doctors performed an ultrasound and thought my sternoclavicular joint was the issue but a MRI shut down that diagnosis. The closest diagnosis is Chostochondritis, however, the symptoms do not improve, I still have tenderness in my chest area, pec area and my back where the ribs connect, my ribs continue to pop every single day for no reason, when I stretch or when I sneeze. I'm extremely frustrated I can't get this issue cured and even more I haven't been able to identify what type of doctor can help me. I've done a lot of online research and I've seen others post comments with the same symptoms but not a cure or a type of doctor that can treat it. Any information is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello! i have similar symptoms and i was diagnosed with slipping rib syndrome. if you have continuous slipping and popping sensations, and it is worse when you are sitting, stretching, sneezing/coughing, bending, rolling over, deep breathing, driving or sitting in arm chairs, etc, you may have it. i also have ehlers danlos, which pretty much caused this.

so far not much has helped, but i was newly diagnosed with srs.

i hope you don't have srs still, because you wrote this two years ago and i hope you werent in pain that long. take care of you! chronic pain is miserable.

• Posted

Hi guys, ive been looking for about a year now on the internet if there's any cure why my chest pops coz it's really annoying and sometimes if you don't pop you will feel a little bit of pain in your chest. It's actually really simple to cure. Just put a gemilina leaves (or any medicinal leaves depends on your country) on your chest right before you sleep and actually surprise that the leaves dry in the morning. What it does, I think, is the leaves will absorb the air in the sternum that is causing to pop. It only took about 3 days on this medication and popping just gone and the pain is gone. Just try it. Don't believe on the PhD doctors on the internet advising you to take medicine.

• Posted

I feel like I have almost the exact situation. This was around 8-9 years ago, I was doing weighted dips and after one particular rep I came back up and my sternum was hurting a lot. Ever since then, I've had popping that comes and goes when I stretch my arms over my head. It is not constant pain or anything, but my sternum does pop pretty much anytime I stretch. Occasionally I have a sharp pain if I breathe really deeply or exhale quickly. How similar is this to what you have?

I am thinking of going to get a chest x-ray just to see if there is an answer for this.

• Posted

Hi Guys, I suffer from sternoclavicular joint sublaxation, atraumatic. Prolotherapy helped a lot. Few days ago my rib started popping and I am quite sure prolo should be helpful for it. It is area without muscles so no option that exercises will help. The same for sternoclavicular joint...no muscles there only ligaments.

For slipping rib syndrome maybe only breathing exercises, some chest stretching could help. If you have been suffering for long try prolo. Nothing to lose apart from money, but a lot to gain.

Good luck

• Posted

@papibor1cua68 . I feel the above post was written by me. I have exactly the same condition. I’m not going to bore you with all the work and doctors/phsio I have visited (close to infinite). But looks like I’m in exactly same boat as you. I’m going for prolotherapy in the next month. Just wanted to know you have you got better?

@Miss_Wonderly did the prolotherapy worked for?

Sincerely appreciate your replies here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.