Over Active Thyroid

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Guys, In May of this year, I started with heart palpitations and went to hospital they kept me in for 2 days doing tests, the outcome was an over active thyroid, I was put on Carbimazole 20mg, Bisoprolol 5mg.

I did have the shakes and swets before going to hospital but thought nothing of them.

After taking the meds i feel awfull, cant sleep, shout and fall out with everyone (husband and kids) Iv been off work for 5 weeks now and have an appointment with the endo in 3 weeks, why does it take so long? my heart still has palpatations at night and I still have slight shakes.

What should I expect to happen at the endo? :wink:

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, It takes around 6 weeks for carbimazole to kick in & even then can take longer depending on the severity of your symptoms. You can also expect to be on meds for around 18 months. At endo appt you usually have bloods taken, blood pressure, weight. Do you know if you have graves or just hyperthyroidism? Keep us informed of your progress.Elaine.
  • Posted

I know how you feel elaine. At the end of may i experienced a similar episode and had to be driven home from work.

I had a racing heart rate and was getting a severe case of tremors. I have had problems with my health for as long as I can remember, and developed a gotre 5yrs ago. I was referred to a surgeon, who i've been seeing regularly every 6months since. I have never been referred to an endocrinologist!!

Anyway, I was told to go to hospital, but everything had calmed down at this point. My consultant kept insisting it ws not due to my thyroid and that it was stress or SOMETHING else. The A&E consultant said it ws due to my thyroid and said if it happens again get your GP to prescribe a beta blocker. THe surgeons would not listen :X - I was told you simply have an enlarged gland nothing else!!

Well, having had no luck with the surgeons (I've seen two now), I finally got a confirmed diasnosis of thyrtoxicosis (overactive thyroid) two weeks ago from my GP. I am now on carbimazole 10mg and feel absolutely awful!

I saw the surgeons again yesterday, and he was blaze as usual, but having heard that I was on carbimazole he sat up and actually took notice! He is now referring me to an endocrinologist - something that should have been done 5 yrs ago!!

I have been told I have to have all my thyroid removed but have to wait for the toxicosis to dissipate. Meanwhile I have been off work for almost 5 wks now and feel terrible. I don't know what to do about my work situation? Aas I've been told the op won't take place until at least the end og August and I'm not sure how well this will go with my boss - if I'm off for upto 3-4 months.

• Posted

Hi Pearl, blimey you really have gone through it!!!!! Carbimazole takes around 6 weeks to take effect as your body has to get rid of exceess hormones & carb cannot do this so, you should start to feel better soon. I had rai in feb as my thyroid coul not be controlled & feel a whole lot better for it. I also had a goitre ( i have graves ) but, after having rai that has gone. I know that my hyperthyroidism can come back but, will cross that bridge if & when. I think its terrible that you had to wait so long before being referred to an endo. Do you have to have thyroidectomy? or have they given you more options? keep us informed & take care. Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi everyone, Pearl, we have under and over active thyroid in our family. Mine's over, worst luck ! My grandaughter had to have a thyroidectomy in a bit of a hurry as she was so ill. She had only just been diagnosed with thyroid problem, she had been treated for stress for a long time ! When she came to see me she had really bulging eyes and tremor, all the symptoms and I insisted she ask for a thyroid check. How could the GP have missed this ! She has had to have operations on both eyes to relieve the pressure. Anyway, the thyroidectomy was fine and she just takes thyroxine and calcium now. She is like a new person, calm, happy and full of energy, so even if you have to have this operation it could be exactly the right thing for you. Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.