Over active thyroid and incontinence

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does having and overactive thyroid cause incontinence? as they say overactive thyroid affects muscles. I have been going to the loo 6 or 7times a day and sometimes don't get there in time.

Mitzi

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Over activity of the thyroid causes muscle weakness, mood swings, anxiety disorder .alternating diarrhea with constipation is also common finding in hyperthyroidism and graves’ disease.  So start your treatment for over activity of thyroid .many a time it may be due to anxiety or depression so start mind relaxation exercises .divert your attention from your illness. If still you have problem consult physician for further treatment.

• Posted

Hi,

Over activity of the thyroid causes muscle weakness, mood swings, anxiety disorder .alternating diarrhea with constipation is also common finding in hyperthyroidism and graves’ disease.  So start your treatment for over activity of thyroid .many a time it may be due to anxiety or depression so start mind relaxation exercises .divert your attention from your illness. If still you have problem consult physician for further treatment.

• Posted

Hi Mitzi,

I've been having similar issues, I find myself constantly needing to use the bathroom and the urges come on very suddenly. I've also not made it to the bathroom a few times and was worried about this too but my doctor said it wasn't unusual. Are you receiving any treatment? I haven't yet but I would assume (or hope) that once this is treated the problem would go away. But you are definitely not alone, it's very annoying to say the least and I certainly wasn't prepared for it!

Jess

• Posted

Only treatment is 2 20g carbizamole a day until I see Consultant on 27th. Developed a sore throat so own doctor did a blood test yesterday but result not back yet? all the leaflets say dangerous if get sore throat but my doc said continue taking until get blood test results. It s a relief to know someone else getting same symptoms as me-incontinence-I afraid to go out some days-when I do I have to go shopping where there are decent toilets. Have had couple of accidents-going round supermarket and Garden Centre and as you in own house. only diagnosed a month ago so not seen a consultant yet!! Is there a separate treatment to help with incontinence?

Mitzi

• Posted

Yes, I have had more muscle problems when my thyroid was overactive, particularly small muscles like those that help with bladder control, and also those that help with having my eyes be more aligned (less double vision, which is a big problem for me.)  Even more noticable of an inprovement was when I started taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine.  I can tell the difference if I miss a day of taking it.
    • Posted

Not heard of that medication I will ask the Consultant when I see her at the end of April .At the moment my doctor prescribibin Carbamazole-thanx for replying it helps to know other people have the same problems!
    • Posted

I get it over the counter at a health food store.  The doctors didn't think it was necessary, but said it wouldn't hurt anything if I took it.
    • Posted

do you also take the medication that they prescribe or is that only treatment you have? 
    • Posted

I had taken Methimazole, which is much like Carbimazole, when I was hyperthyroid, but went into remission in December 2012 and have not had to take it since.

I became depressed, though, and I now take Wellbutrin for that, which also seemed to relieve a lot of my symptoms that I thought were thyroid related.

• Posted

just read your post. I was told last april I had an overactive thyriod and was put on carbimazole and the same happened to me. I was constantly at the toilet. 6 or 8 times was every day. I went back to the doctor and to be on the safe side I went to the hospital for the camera. They said I had Irritable bowel Syndrom. I was given sachets of fibergel. Took one a day until it calmed down. I had a rest from it but changed my diet to eat mire fibre i.e. Bran flakes, pears and seaded/wholemeal bread. Every so often I buy a box of fybogel just to calm it down again. The wind and smell still happens on a regular basis but if you keep ontop of your diet it helps alot. Im down to 2 times a day sometimes only once.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I am more worried about not gettting to the toilet in time-have had a few accidents and messed myelf-even at home as dont get the urge to go in time until the last minute.I was told I had IBS to-dont take fibregel as my motions are loose but not diaroea Ive been prescribe immodium liquid for that(you can only get the liquid version on prescription) plus I take Calpermin.    Thanks for your comments-it does help to hear other people have the same problems. when I went I first started taking carmizapole for overactive thyroid I was taking 40mg a day and probs getting better but now they have lowered the dose to 20mg a day the probs seem to be coming back and had a couple of accidents-not getting to the loo in time but luckily I was at home but -having bllod tests this week and seeing doctor next week so will be interested to hear what he says 
    • Posted

I also was often surprized by bowel movements, but it usually happened that I was on the toilet to urinate when I would also move my bowels by surprize.

It was Linda on this forum who posted about L-carnitine and Acetyl-l-carnitine, saying that she used it in conjunction with Methimazole (much like Carbimazole) which helped her TSH to normalize and help her to avoid becoming hyperthyroid again.

• Posted

Yes I vaguely remember that but was having problems with my computer and I think I must have deleted them. When I was on 40 of carbimazole the problem seemed to be sorted but approx a month ago when I had my first appt with Consultant she halved my dose but it seems over the last couple of weeks my probs coming back-I go for another blood test tomorow and see my own doctor next week-got to wait for next appt with Consultant until the middle of August! So as my results are going to Cons as well as my own doctor I hope I will hear something from them next week,did you have long periods between yor Consultant in the area that you live?I am also waiting for results of test on antibodies to see if I have Graves disease or just nodules on my thyroid -It all seems to be a waiting game in this area!! I too was getting a surprise when I urinated but now gone back to when I even standing making a cup of tea!!!! So may get some answers from my doctor next week. Where do you buy L-cartitine or Acelyl-carnitine?I am lucky to live in a bungalow god knows how messed up I'd be if I had to get upstairs. Thank you for replying. mitzi
    • Posted

I live in the US, and was treated with Methimazole, as they usually do here.  I had my first appointment with an Endocrinologist scheduled for about 5 months ahead, and didn't worry about it, but when my PCP found out he hurried and got me scheduled with another one who could see me right away, because he was worried about my heart rate being very high and said I could go into "Thyroid Storm" which is often fatal.   I think summertime is especially difficult to get appointments due to doctors taking their vacations. Once seen by an endo, though, it was simple to schedule the next appointment for the interval he recommended, usually 2-3 months ahead.

I get the Carnitine at a health food store.

Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Wonder if that Carnitine is available in England? Will check on line- Thanks for your advice. mitzi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.